Wheel refurb,ing.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
For those folk that have had there Turinis refurbed.
Have any of you found a very close match of powder coat colour to the original Turini colour.?

I know that the exact powder coat colour doesn't exist, but there must be one that's very close.??

Im after getting a set done, and have been told on numerous occasions that if painted, the finish isn't as robust as powder coating.. And will scratch and chip easier, looking scruffy faster..

Reaction score
It's all about the quality of the job done Dave. Powder coating is all about preparation and treatment temperatures, likewise wet painting is all about preparation and paint quality. I would say a good paint job will always give a better quality finish than powder coat but will cost more if done properly. Powder coating can fail, chip and crack and once it does water will delaminate it. You really need to pick your powder coater if you are going that route, it's a service plenty offer but there's a lot of questionable work from most of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
then price up new wheels offset by the sale of ones needing refurb.

Then decide if the difference is worth the extra to be on brand new wheels vs refurbed 100k wheels (or wherever your mileage is).

Reaction score
The problem with brand new ones is they are stamped all over the place on the face side.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You can always grind the raised mouldings off and repaint, oh wait.........

Does anyone know if they are even still available new?

Reaction score
I'm picking up a couple of sets of wheels from city powder coaters tomorrow.

For £20 a wheel I can afford to have them done twice a year ;) The downside is their palette is rather limited.

I wanted a specific shade of silver. My choice was sparkly or not sparkly.

It's for the other weekend toy so I'm not too precious about it.

Hope you get a better colour choice than I did Dave :)

Reaction score
The problem with brand new ones is they are stamped all over the place on the face side.

Reaction score
Does the £20 wheel place just respray the wheel or do they sand off and fill any dents, chips?

Reaction score
Does the £20 wheel place just respray the wheel or do they sand off and fill any dents, chips?

79c166ee0d3a41c87fa958fbfbdd24d4.jpg

https://www.citywheelrefurbishment.co.uk/20-wheel-deal

I've taken 8-10 sets there over the years but none have ever been damaged or special enough for me to look closely at any repair work so I can't personally comment on that side of things.

The quality is a LONG way off a decent paint finish, which is what I'll do when the Trophy Turinis need doing. I take other wheels there for the ridiculous value for money.

Reaction score
Wow that is cheap, I have a set of turini's I might take up there just as my runabout wheels. Bargain at that price..

Reaction score
Pic

ys1apaV.jpg

Excuse the state of the disc. It's been a couple of weeks since the car has been driven.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
As above, they do paint as well as powdercoat? They look fine but having spent £350 i'd also invest in a new set of bolts.

Reaction score
Wet paint then clear powder coat.

Point taken re bolts. Might get some new caps as well.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Point taken re bolts. Might get some new caps as well.

It will definitely lift the wheels. With a little work the caps will come up really nice, the reno logo on all mine were looking pretty corroded, now spot the new amongst the old.DSCF0759.JPG

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
All this wheel refurbing chat is good, but it hasn't answered my original question...
IE the colour code of the powder coating that's almost thye same as the Ixus paint code.

Hoolio. What did you use to polish up the Renault logos.?
Ive removed the logos from the caps, they just need either replacing,, or polishing up...