What’s the current market trend ?

Reaction score
I’ve not been particularly active on the forum for a while. I’ve not used my car for well over 12 months now. From what I’ve seen the cars have taken a fair old slump in values with little interest in any coming up for sale. I’m a little bewildered by this given the frenzy over them in 2017.
I’ve seen cars come up for sale over the various selling platforms but very few seem to sell. Cars which might have done £8k are getting little interest at £6k.

Looking across the Clio “RS” range the story seems similar. Certainly looking at V6 prices you could have easily lost £10k if you bought at peak 12 months ago.

If anyone has any insight/information/contrary views I’d be interested in hearing them

Reaction score
Clio Trophy or any Clio Sport, not sure why but the market went so high it was prone to deflate. Clio V6 seems to be a very different story altogether at least in France. Many owners are trying to sell for the new Alpine and more V6 are on the market. People who were wishing to buy Clio V6 are now also turning to the Alpine. Seems to be same market in that seller/buyer group (Renault Sport/Alpine fans, exclusivity, price range...).

Plus, those who are selling now had bought there V6 long before the 2016/2017 increase when market was 40% below so don't loose money selling below 2017 market price. Others who bought in 2016/2017 and speculated on sky high prices will wait (certainly indefinitely) for market to go up again.

Last edited:

GPH

Reaction score
It's a reflection of the whole car market and economy. Just about every "classic" has dropped in the last 2 years. At the top end Ferrari F355 and Aston V12 Vantage manual which were flying 2 years ago have dropped at least £20k which is 20%. Lower down it's the same story. You find posts on every forum about it. No one is buying a car with a view to it appreciating.

Reaction score
My Williams has gone up. But recently most UK prices have frozen or dropped due to economic uncertainty. Trophy and similar iconic cars will rally in a year or two and go up.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Maybe the "smart" money people have found other avenues to invest in...?

Although it doesnt take away from the fact the Trophy is one of THE all time great hot hatches... As has been backed up in the recent motoring press coverage...

I didnt buy my car as an investment, i was just lucky i bought at a good time, and it continues to give me a MASSIVE grin every time i drive it, which unfortunately isnt as often as ide currently like...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The Brexit vote has f*$ked up pretty much everything, some would argue temporarily I think something akin to turkeys voting for Christmas but at some point things will stabilise. It's a talking point. but it only really effects those wishing to buy - good news and those wishing to sell - bad news.

Reaction score
Same with other cars tbh. The BMW Z4 market saw wild price increases that just seem to have become stagnant. Made a bit on my after a couple of years but not the wild forecasts. The cars attempting bigger numbers just ain’t moving.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
There's the JD Classics saga as well which has dented the confidence if the "buy for investment " market

Reaction score
Sounds like... we can get you a car.. it’s £100k plus £10k commission . Reality is they already owned the car. So no “Commsion” was required..

Then I have car to sell. I want £100k

No problems we will ask £10k commission.

Actually we have a buyer but their offering £85k minus our £10k commission..

“Will they pay more?”
No.
Ok. Sell it .... dealer bags £100k car for £85k and £10k commission On top.

Fool and his money..

Bottom line .. I have £40 million to invest..” I know “ I will ask second hand car salesman to do it for me..

Reaction score
They've gone up on webuyanycar.com :smile: Mine was valued at £250 last year, its up to £1250 now :smile:

That’s almost as bad as the £20k they offered me for my sub 20,000 mile BMW 1M. They could not distinguish it from a 135i!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The "modern classic" market seems really volatile at the moment. Prices are fluctuating by huge differences in very short spaces of time (in some cases days)

I cannot seem to get my head around it.

I have seen a Renault 5 GT Turbo needing total restoration go for £13k and then less than a week later I saw another Red 100k mile original one needing a little bit of paint go for £8k, another went a couple of months ago for £15k with 60k on the clock but no history. Then there are some horrific ones going for £7k that have been crashed through the ripspeed section of Halfrauds!

One car I am seriously looking for at the moment is a 255 V6. They have taken a dip over the last two years, but that will come back and yeah, the Trophy was a limited car so it will eventually go up. I had the opportunity to buy an F355 Berlinetta 10 years ago for £35k. I should have followed my heart and not my head on that one....

Unless you are incredibly lucky, or have a never ending amount of patience, you wont make retirement amounts of money from cars at the moment...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think looking at pretty much any car in terms of a real investment is the wrong way to go about things.

In general, I'd say it's the sort of people who won't truly appreciate the cars for what they are that think like that though. Like seeing an F40 that's only done 2k miles and such like.

Reaction score
Those 355's are definitely one of the most stunning looking cars of the last 20 or so years

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’m very surprised I managed to get myself into a great low mileage (59k) example for not a lot considering we’re the market was last year, it’s a little up on the owners than I originally wanted at 7, however the condition and orinality of it was a no brainer for me! Think this will be a keeper long term.
0F42D355-792F-4AD0-ACF2-F116D7317303.jpeg