Tyre choice

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Will likely drive a bit better on a 195 to be honest.
I'm intrigued, with the 182 Cup and Trophy chassis designed around a 205 section tyre, why in your mind would it drive better on narrower rubber? What advantage is a smaller contact patch going to give? Unless less grip is desired.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm intrigued, with the 182 Cup and Trophy chassis designed around a 205 section tyre, why in your mind would it drive better on narrower rubber? What advantage is a smaller contact patch going to give? Unless less grip is desired.

Tramlining.

See post 11 of this thread.

Reaction score
Indeed, less tramlining and in reality the difference would be negligible in terms of outright grip between a 195 vs 205 section tyre of the same profile.
I bet most drivers wouldn't be able to tell the difference in grip but would be able to tell the slightly nicer road manners.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Indeed, less tramlining and in reality the difference would be negligible in terms of outright grip between a 195 vs 205 section tyre of the same profile.
I bet most drivers wouldn't be able to tell the difference in grip but would be able to tell the slightly nicer road manners.
I guess it's down to a case of personal preferences. From my experience of both, I prefer the way these cars feel on the 205 section rubber, they for me, feel more solid/planted on the road, compared to say my 172 Cup which was delightfully wayward in an old-school 205 GTi sort of way, which had it's own charm. That amount of adjustability and slip angle was great in certain circumstances, but the more polished feel of the later Trophy is better in my eyes for normal road driving.

I can't say I've ever noticed a propensity for any of these cars to tramline particularly badly, again, my 172 Cup on 195's I found to torque steer on b-roads much worse than the later cars. Indeed, I'm always surprised at how settled the front axle feels on the Trophy with the Sachs and their ability to iron out undulations and bumps in an almost magical way, never fails to still impress me.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I can't say I've ever noticed a propensity for any of these cars to tramline particularly badly.

It`s the consequence of the appalling state of the roads in the South East.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
195/45r16 ps3`s available again from Camskill / Black Circles circa £95

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
wow! amazing. will get a set ordered

I noticed despatch is 6 days, which suggests that they are coming from Europe, and that stocks are limited.

Best be quick.

Edit, it`s changed to 2 days since yesterday.

Reaction score
I ditched the ps3 and went for ad08. They feel miles better!

I did the same but went from old Toyo t1r which have lots of tread left to Yokohama AD08R. I did consider the PS3 but the AD08r is just a next level tyre.

Reaction score
So when do you find out if they have any stock?

i also hate the constant pressurisation on Blackcircles to let some monkey loose on my rims.
They were in stock at time of posting someone must of bought them.
Steven read the reviews 5 star good 1 star not good.