Tyre choice

Ajracer

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have NS 2rs on my spare set of wheels and as others have said they are an excellent summer tyre ,perform very well in the wet but they are quite noisy especially at motorway speeds.

Reaction score
I have NS 2rs on my spare set of wheels and as others have said they are an excellent summer tyre ,perform very well in the wet but they are quite noisy especially at motorway speeds.
That’s their only issue I find (noise). Remarkable in the wet considering their intended purpose.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Could I upsize to 205/50/16 and run Yokohama A052 ?

Just a thought.

I think you would find that they would scuff on the front arch liners when pushed hard.

Running 15" inch OZ F1`s from a Ph1 172 would allow you to run 195/50R15 PS3`s, which are still available.

The rolling circumference is the same as 205/45R16, so would not alter the gearing.

RyanM

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Have a skim through this video that was posted up earlier this year. It mentions a few UHP tyres which are available in our size.

I love rainsports but the lack of feedback from them really puts me off another set…personally when my Rainsport 3’s are worn down I’ll probably be fitting 4x new Continental PremiumContact 6, expensive but hopefully worth it.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have a skim through this video that was posted up earlier this year. It mentions a few UHP tyres which are available in our size.

I love rainsports but the lack of feedback from them really puts me off another set…personally when my Rainsport 3’s are worn down I’ll probably be fitting 4x new Continental PremiumContact 6, expensive but hopefully worth it.

Did you use the XL 87W Rainsports?

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So that`s how they do these tyre tests, brand new & 3 quick laps.

The only tyre in that test I can comment on from personal use is the Avon ZV7.

When new, they suffer from tread block movement due to the high depth of tread, but improve as they wear past 3k miles.

I would like to see the same comparative tests once all the tyres had been driven for 12,000 road miles, which would exclude those

that no longer had a legal tread depth.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Has anyone tried the Yokohama advan fleva v701? Or toyo tr-1?

Last edited:

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Morning Oracle

Which are better tyres - P Zero Nero or Hankook V12

I've got 2 of each on my car that are brand new but want to match up to make a set.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’d be interested in taking the pair you take off and making up a set so keep me posted!

Currently looking to buy trophy 177 that needs a couple of tyres so want a full matching set

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Morning Oracle

Which are better tyres - P Zero Nero or Hankook V12

I've got 2 of each on my car that are brand new but want to match up to make a set.

Hi Nick.

As I have no personal experience of either of these tyres, I am reluctant to make any recommendation.

On paper, the Hankook has a stiffer sidewall ( 87W ) & a better wet grip rating ( A ), so maybe a full set of these?

Both are quality tyres, so I would consider running them together, but with the Hankook`s on the front, reversing how you have

them currently fitted.

My only other thought is to check the manufacture date stamps ( week/year ) & replace the oldest tyres with a match to the newest.

I`m not sure why the previous owner left you with this dilemma.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was looking for them myself but can’t find them anywhere

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was having a look around myself the other day to see what's available these days and it seems there's only the Yokohama which is performance orientated at the moment... It's a real shame that Michelin don't make the PS4 in the Trophy size, I've found that to be an exceptional tyre on other things.

I paused to take a look at a 595 Abarth today, clad with 205/40 17 PS4`s, & thought they would not look out of place on a 182/172.

Rolling circumference difference is + 15mm or 5 revolutions per kilometre, & + 2.5mm tyre radius, compared with 205/45 16`s , so well within the limits of normal wear during a tyres life.

Really just a case of choosing some 17" rims to suit your taste & pocket.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Reckon I'll be going the way of Continentals from now on if the Michelins are no longer available.

Despite being Premium Contact rather than Sport Contact they seem to still be regarded as more of a performance tyre that belies the name.