Tyre choice

Reaction score
Just wondering what tyres everyone is running now that PS3 are hard to find?!

Thanks

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was having a look around myself the other day to see what's available these days and it seems there's only the Yokohama which is performance orientated at the moment... It's a real shame that Michelin don't make the PS4 in the Trophy size, I've found that to be an exceptional tyre on other things.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just wondering what tyres everyone is running now that PS3 are hard to find?!

Thanks

If your intended future use is to continue with 2,500 summer miles a year, my choice would be 4 Rainsport 5`s in XL 67W.

If you rotate front to back at 4,000 miles and get them rebalanced at the same time, you should see 3 years out of them.

Uniroyal Tyres / Car / Uniroyal RainSport 5 - 205/45 R16 87W XL FR TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 72dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 16" R16" - 205/45/16, 205/45R16 (camskill.co.uk)

Otherwise any Wet Rated A tyre with 87W from this list should not disappoint.

Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 16" R16" - 205/45/16, 205/45R16 (camskill.co.uk)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’m still undecided . Ideally I want Yokohama AD08R but that tyre is discontinued. The successor to this tyre the Yokohama AD08RS apparently isn’t as good

The only other option it leaves me with is Michelin PS3 - I’m not sure how good they are. I absolutely cannot wait for Michelin to make a tyre in the OEM 182 Trophy size … wishful thinking. Can’t the admins organise a group buy with Michelin lol the dream would be Michelin PS4 or PS4S in 205/45/16

Ideally I need an ultra sticky tyre for fast B road driving

Reaction score
I’m still undecided . Ideally I want Yokohama AD08R but that tyre is discontinued. The successor to this tyre the Yokohama AD08RS apparently isn’t as good

The only other option it leaves me with is Michelin PS3 - I’m not sure how good they are. I absolutely cannot wait for Michelin to make a tyre in the OEM 182 Trophy size … wishful thinking. Can’t the admins organise a group buy with Michelin lol the dream would be Michelin PS4 or PS4S in 205/45/16

Can’t find PS3 anywhere, so looking at AD08RS too.

Reaction score
I had ad08rs on my trophy when I owned it, got them on my lupo gti now, for a road tyre they are fine and more then upto the job imo.

Did the Welsh Weekender when I had my trophy, with ad08rs on, held up fine.

Reaction score

Michelin PS3 are arguably the tyre of choice for all-round road use, but are NLA as @Chewywms says.

Michelin are now producing the Pilot Exalto PE2 again which was OE fitment on the Trophy I believe. Annoyingly, they aren't available in 205/45R16. Hopefully this may yet change if the production of these has only recently started up?

Reaction score
Has anybody considered 195 45 16? Would the size difference be noticeable ble?!

Reaction score

Does that reduction in width even grant you any greater choice? Looking on blackcircles for reference, the only different tyre I see that isn't presented for 205 is the Continental Sport Contact 3. Not sure that is a better option than any of the other choices available in the correct size...

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

The only other option it leaves me with is Michelin PS3 - I’m not sure how good they are. I absolutely cannot wait for Michelin to make a tyre in the OEM 182 Trophy si

These the other option, if you have deep pockets.

Not sure you will get the best from them on OE spring rates.

Not sure why you have poo pooed the rainsports?

They offer better grip than PS3`s, yes, the wear rate is greater, but the price difference is compensation.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

This was the original fitment on 172`s, with the same 7J rim width.

Having tried 205 & 195, the 205`s have a tendency to tramline to a greater degree.

As said , 195 does not offer up a greater choice of tyres.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Does that reduction in width even grant you any greater choice? Looking on blackcircles for reference, the only different tyre I see that isn't presented for 205 is the Continental Sport Contact 3. Not sure that is a better option than any of the other choices available in the correct size...

I bought my 172 with Contact 3`s, with plenty of tread depth.

Binned within 7 days in favour of PS3`s.

Reaction score
These the other option, if you have deep pockets.

Not sure you will get the best from them on OE spring rates.

Not sure why you have poo pooed the rainsports?

They offer better grip than PS3`s, yes, the wear rate is greater, but the price difference is compensation.

Road noise is too much, for track however..epic.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
My local tyre shop have advised Michelin PS3 is no longer available in 205/45/16 .. gulp!

Just wish the Yokohama AD08R was still available. Fast road tyre recommendation desperately needed. How about the Nangkang AR1 ? Is it any good in the wet

Reaction score
My local tyre shop have advised Michelin PS3 is no longer available in 205/45/16 .. gulp!

Just wish the Yokohama AD08R was still available. Fast road tyre recommendation desperately needed. How about the Nangkang AR1 ? Is it any good in the wet

Wouldn't rate ar1 as a road tyre, road noise is excessive and cold/water isn't great as its a track tyre.

Ad08rs?

Reaction score

Don’t know about wet performance or how it compares generally to the AD08RS, but the Nankang NS-2R is a slightly more road-biased track tyre than the AR1. Pretty affordable as well - currently can get 10% off here this month as well with code 200CLUB (I’m not affiliated with the above store in any way, just happen to have found this yesterday and would consider these tyres myself, if anyone has any experience of them?)

Reaction score
Just responded to this on Cliosport.

You've nailed it with the PS3 theyre just not available right now and no projected date for more according to Michelin UK.

Conti Premium Contact 6
Pirelli Pzero GT
Uniroyal Rainsport 5
Avon Zv7
Hankook V12 Evo 2
Yoko AD08RS
Nangkang NS-2R

Mostly summer only:

Toyo R88R (will work in winter but less than ideal)
Nangkang AR1

I'm really fussy about how I like my car to drive, i like a stiff sidewall that makes the steering responsive and alive. Therefore the full winter and rain tyres i struggle to put up with even in winter. In summer i drive on an R888R daily and winter i was/am using the PS3. Previously i have commuted on NS2Rs 365 days a year and don't have any issue with their performance in any weather but snow. Their only drawback IMO is their noise. Yes they're soft but offer more grip than 99% of regular road tyres and wear accordingly. When my PS3s die, i'll go back to NS2Rs for winter, not ideal i know, but i know and like how they feel.
Or maybe try the Hankook as these seem to be the best of the rest for an all season tyre

Depending on your use, you have the above options. I'm in the same boat at the mo for winter rubber. :(

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

You've nailed it with the PS3 theyre just not available right now and no projected date for more according to Michelin UK.

Conti Premium Contact 6
Pirelli Pzero GT
Uniroyal Rainsport 5
Avon Zv7
Hankook V12 Evo 2
Yoko AD08RS
Nangkang NS-2R

Mostly summer only:

Nangkang AR1

I'm really fussy about how I like my car to drive, i like a stiff sidewall that makes the steering responsive and alive. Therefore the full winter and rain tyres i struggle to put up with even in winter. In summer i drive on an R888R daily and winter i was/am using the PS3. Previously i have commuted on NS2Rs 365 days a year and don't have any issue with their performance in any weather but snow. Their only drawback IMO is their noise. Yes they're soft but offer more grip than 99% of regular road tyres and wear accordingly. When my PS3s die, i'll go back to NS2Rs for winter, not ideal i know, but i know and like how they feel.
Or maybe try the Hankook as these seem to be the best of the rest for an all season tyre

Depending on your use, you have the above options. I'm in the same boat at the mo for winter rubber. :(

You could be brave and be the 1st to try the Maxxis HP5`s?

There was a time when Yokohama`s & Bridgestone`s were regarded as total pap, and justifiably so, but the world does still turn.

Maxxis Tyres / Car / Maxxis HP5 Premitra Maxxis HP 5 - 205/45 R16 87W XL TL Fuel Eff.: C Wet Grip: A NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 16" R16" - 205/45/16, 205/45R16 (camskill.co.uk)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Could I upsize to 205/50/16 and run Yokohama A052 ?

Just a thought.

Reaction score
Trophy No.

Conti Premium Contact 6
Pirelli Pzero GT
Uniroyal Rainsport 5
Avon Zv7
Hankook V12 Evo 2
Yoko AD08RS
Nangkang NS-2R

Mostly summer only:

Nangkang AR1

Thanks so much Frayz. Some really good suggestions. I'm the same, and would prefer a stiffer sidewall. I really do need the Michelin PS4 equivalent or close as.