Trophy on Pistonheads - £15,995

Reaction score
Nah, I just threw a bucket of water over it, cleared all the fault codes and hand wrote a note saying "Dun sum wrk, cost 6 bags" and then gave it to my friend for him to sell... :LOL:

In all seriousness, its so good that Im 50/50 as to whether to keep it. Its worth £16k and its only going to go up in value.....
with a steering wheel on the left I would have bought it ;)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Wtf is a “soft restoration” it sounds like a couple of rattle cans, a bottle of aldi upholstery cleaner, a whizz over with the DA followed by liberal application of back to black
Perhaps he should have called it a sympathetic restoration. My interpretation of what I had done is that’s it’s sympathetic to the cars natural condition with mechanical and cosmetic work to a high standard rather than a full nut and bolt restoration.

I could have just had it serviced, butI felt the car deserved much better than just a quick service and a wash. I wanted the car to be prepared to a high standard so that the next owner can buy it knowing that it needs nothing, there is nothing for them to sort and they can either enjoy many happy years of driving it or they can put it away and bring it out occasionally knowing that apart from and MOT they don’t have to spend a load of money and headache trying to get it to the standard it’s now at. I’ve done it for them.

I’ve enjoyed the process of doing it, it’s kept me out of trouble and if it doesn’t sell, I’ll keep it and bring it to the highlands with me and it can sit next to my other one.

Hes had a decent amount of interest in it and people are coming to view so let’s see.

Reaction score
Is this Tom of Divine? ......what’s all the smoke and mirror stuff .......maybe not, he’s a northern lad

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Is this Tom of Divine? ......what’s all the smoke and mirror stuff .......maybe not, he’s a northern lad

There’s no smoke and mirror stuff. I bought this car last year, have done a lot to it, and it’s for sale on a sale or return basis with a friend of mine who owns a good car dealership and sells a lot of special Renaults.

Nothing more to it than that. If it sells it sells, it’ll be good news for the buyer who’ll get a great car and good news for us owners who own cars that are appreciating in value.

If it doesn’t sell before I permanently relocate to Scotland then I’ll take it with me and keep it with my other one.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Forbes, it’s clearly as good as it looks. Do you have any pictures of the work?

SMJ

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The prices of a lot of cars like the Trophy have risen sharply over the last 12-18months. I think due to the pandemic there are a lot of people with money burning a hole in their pockets (from saving on not going on holiday, meals out, weekends away etc) and also the appreciation of values in these kinds of cars is a much better return that you will currently get from a lot of other financial options.....

As said - I might keep hold of it, and as soon as I am in my new place, I will be buying again........

I'm agreeing. The same thing is a happening in the used Porsche market. I sold my high spec 981 Spyder a couple of weeks back and the guy who bought it has probably already made money (before you ask - my other half insisted on a "family fleet rationalisation" as I'd found myself with 6 cars and 2 more on order!). Feels like that (Porsche) market has hardened by 7% to 10% in the last 6 weeks or so. I also have a soft spot for Mk1 MR2s and their prices have gone bananas. Modern classics may ultimately prove to be a bubble but the combo of COVID-related "live for today philosophy", cash savings from lockdown, and "no overseas holiday expenditure in 2021" is underpinning new price levels for many of these types of car.

What's my owned from new 48K mile Trophy worth today then? (and its got a T**PHY plate!)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looks great and makes me want to get mine really properly detailed. As someone who has just finished a refurb at Mark Fish (?) I laughed at the comment above too! Project creep is real, and the wisdom of doing things 'while you're there' can lead to some expensive bills. As people above have said, it's great to see them cherished and protected - there are enough threads about neglected cars that seem destined for the crusher, let alone the ones that get written off. Best of luck with it.