To sell or to keep, that is the question?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have had my trophy for 16 years on this coming March. It has now appreciated in value and I have very happy with it. However, I need something more reliable and more fuel efficient, as I am doing much more mileage than I used to do. So my questions are these:

Would you sell now or keep it so it goes up more?
If I did sell it, what would I replace it with?
Diesel seems to be the best option. A 335d would be lovely, but what else?
Bear in mind that it costs quite a bit to keep on the road and any big bills wipe out any increases in value.

Reaction score
Diesel is only the best option if you’re doing 20k + miles a year. Unless you are you will get stuffed with fuel costs, initial purchase costs, additional service costs, worst of all the problems around DPF clogging, limp mode etc. oh not forgetting the fuelling experience at the pump.

Of course the value of the Trophy will increase over time that’s a given but you have to put that behind you. The Trophy isn’t really viable as a daily driver these days. If you want value,efficiency and reliability buy something made in the east …..further east than Germany, manufacturers beginning with a K, H or T 👍

Reaction score
In a couple of months when the weather improves and people are looking for a summer toy is probably the best time to sell. But lots to consider...

Trophy
- How many miles/owners does it have? Full service history and condition? Sachs etc still present? (biggest impact on its value)
- Would you regret selling? If you're happy with it, could you afford (funds or storage space) to keep it as a second car/toy doing fewer miles?

Diesel
- Do you drive into any city centres where clean air zone charges would be a factor? (unless it's a Euro 6 Diesel from Sep '15 onwards)
- Do you do enough miles to justify the associated costs of diesel vs a relatively efficient petrol car? If you're considering a 335d which isn't super efficient, turbocharged petrol cars like Golf R/S3/Leon Cupra can get 40+mpg on a motorway run if you're not booting it, but still wanting something practical with a bit of performance in reserve.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
As a ball park figure, a 182 driven 10k miles a year costs £2k for fuel, and £1k a year for servicing & upkeep, averaged out over 5 years,

with zero depreciation.

In truth, the only alternative is leasing an EV, which reduces the miles per pound for fuel by 2/3 rds at current prices, with lower

servicing costs as there are no filters, oil changes or belt changes.

Against this you have to balance leasing costs, I think you can get a Corsa E for £250 a month, though I have not looked into the

mileage restrictions.

What is Miles per Pound? | Parkers

I would not consider buying an EV, as future technical advances with regard to batteries may render the current crop worthless.