Thinking of selling my Trophy...

Reaction score
So as the title suggests I have been thinking of selling my Trophy for some time now. For the last 5 years of ownership I have always maintained it was a keeper, but if I'm honest I don't feel like I get the same enjoyment from the car now. I took it out this weekend for the first time since April!! I am scared to sell it though as I know I will regret it! Anyone been in a similar position? What did you do? Maybe I just need to spend some money on it lol!

Reaction score
Don’t sell it, but spend some money on it and restore it.

Reaction score
Bumping this as unfortunately I am still of the same mindset and would consider letting my Trophy go for the right price.

In case anybody reading this may be interested, here's a basic overview:

• Mileage is approx. 115k, 2 previous owners, previous owner had serviced at K-Tec religiously, I have generally changed oil and filters myself during my ownership.
  • All standard Trophy bits are present, i.e. Sachs dampers, Recaro Trendline seats, V6 Spoiler, Cup splitter, Turini alloy wheels, etc.
  • The cambelt, aux belt and dephaser were all replaced last year by Mick @ Diamond Motors. I have covered minimal mileage since.
  • Sachs refurbished by BG Motorsport 2 - 3 years ago but have literally done 3k dry miles so are like new, the bill was £1k+
  • Full suspension refresh with all genuine parts parts replaced incl: genuine Trophy springs, top mounts, inner tie rods, track rod ends, steering rack bushes, ARB bushes. Majority of associated nuts and bolts were replaced at the same time. All genuine parts. Again max of 3k miles covered since this work was undertaken.
  • At the same time, new discs and pads fitted all round, genuine discs and pads at the rear with Brembo HC discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads up front.
  • The brake calipers were also fully refurbished by BIgg Red at the same time with new seals, pistons and sliders with a premium coating in satin black.
  • The clutch was changed around 3k ago, sadly I appear to have misplaced the invoice for this work but I am sure this could be confirmed by the garage that did it if required. The fact the clutch is nice and light is a bit of a giveaway though!
  • The car is mostly standard but does have a few choice modifications including a cat-back exhaust system by ProSpeed in Cardiff, this is a high quality system and fits nicely behind the bumper. The car also has an RSTurner map, Powerflex dogbone mount, Vibratechnic upper engine and gearbox mounts.
  • After the suspension refresh, I also had 4 x Yokohoma AD08R's fitted in the correct Trophy size. These are fantastic tyres and have covered minimal mileage so as you would expect they are like new.
  • Alternator was also recently changed for a new genuine unit.

Whenever anybody sees the car they always comment on what fantastic condition it is in, but I would personally say the car would benefit from some cosmetic work to get it back to its best. My focus has always been on the mechanical side of things so the car could be enjoyed as intended and the bodywork has always been the next job! The common pink door handles and melted steering wheel are present here. The front end would benefit from a respray, having covered 115k miles there are some stone chips as to be expected. There is also the odd parking dent if looking closely. However, the car is generally in really great condition.

I have owned the Trophy for almost 6 years and not sure I would be doing the right thing by selling it, but it hardly gets used and it seems a waste for it to be parked up in my garage!

Do people think £5k would be a realistic price to achieve?

Reaction score
Great write up and sounds like you have looked after it well.

£5k sounds pretty fair to me looking at the general trophy market at the minute however considering the time, money you have spent on it and enjoyment factor if only driving it a few times a year these all add up to more than the £5k asking price in my opinion.

£5k accepting it’s a clio doesn’t feel a lot considering the handling, old school nature of these cars so I would hang on to it if you can afford to.

Mine has done 128k and is a similar standard to yours, I used to do Bristol to Wolverhampton everyday for 8 months and I loved it.. now mine gets a run out every few months and whilst I could do with the extra money - I think as soon as I sell it I would be trying to find another one..

Worth planning a few trips out in it or line up a B road blast with some mates as it does bring back the appreciation for these cars.

Just my thoughts but thought worth sharing

Cheers

Pete

Reaction score
Tommy sounds excellent. I can never really work out trophy prices but judging my owner experience it sounds easily a £5k car depending on actual body work.

I would personally get a snappy wheel in it. I prefer the ones which just look like oem rather than adding a tab. It will help sell any car and the £150 odd quid they are can easily be added to the sale price.

Sell/don’t sell? Tough call I think I worked out a properly maintained turn key ready trophy ran about £80-90 a month once you budget for belts/services/sacks/tax/ins. So it’s a question of space at home and those costs for a car that might not move much.

If your happy with that then deffo keep. I wasn’t with 147 so she was sold.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input guys. Some things to think about there. It is more the running costs which I see go out every month to then not use the car. Plus the money I will inevitably spend on top of that doing bits and pieces.

I have always maintained I would keep the Trophy and I am still in two minds so I'm not going to rush into making a decision. I'm planning to go for a drive early on Sunday morning in the hope the roads will be quiet and I can enjoy the Trophy on some decent roads. I also have a Javelin track day voucher that's due to expire soon so I should really get something booked.

Reaction score
Also looking for a Trophy at the right condition/money.
Im selling an absolutely mint ST150 if thats any use to anyone, PM me Tommo if you do decide to sell with some info :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Good luck with the sale. I've had mine for sale for over a month and not one person has been to see it or phoned. Also priced about the same (£4,995). Not in a rush to sell it though.

Reaction score
If you can afford to keep the car, then I would be strong with the price. It may 'just' be a Clio, but look at any limited production car and they are always significantly more than the car they are based on.

Since I've had mine, a friend has bought one after experiencing mine on a track day. Now my detailer is on the hunt for a mint one! Let me know if you are thinking of selling one with low miles.