tax exempt...

Reaction score
No, the original idea (and I think it was the tories that initiated it) was for any vehicle over 25 years old to get road tax for free.

When it was introduced the 25 year threshold mean't that any car pre-1973 would get tax for free :lol:

Unfortunately, Blair realised that Cherie hairdo's were costing £7k + per year and decided that they needed to get some extra cash from somewhere, so they scrapped the rolling 25 year historic vehicle classification.

They couldn't revoke the original 1973 cut off though, so in summary, if your car is pre-73 you get free road tax. If its a 1974 then get your cheque book out :(

Reaction score
Lee G said:
No, the original idea (and I think it was the tories that initiated it) was for any vehicle over 25 years old to get road tax for free.

When it was introduced the 25 year threshold mean't that any car pre-1973 would get tax for free :lol:

Unfortunately, Blair realised that Cherie hairdo's were costing £7k + per year and decided that they needed to get some extra cash from somewhere, so they scrapped the rolling 25 year historic vehicle classification.

They couldn't revoke the original 1973 cut off though, so in summary, if your car is pre-73 you get free road tax. If its a 1974 then get your cheque book out :(

Hee hee hee, I knew this as my mate had a 73 dub and couldn't bear to get rid of it 'cause it cost fook all to run. Couldn't have put it so well though, Cherie's hairdo!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
feckin 'ell, at every turn gordon brown has closed the door on posiibly tax savings :( arse.