Stunning

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know Chaps this is the Clio Trophy forum however credit where credit is due, this is lovely.

I do have a little soft spot for a 1.9 er - early car with the better interior trim in my view.

Also love his Mk1 Golf and his lovely 309 - nice trio.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was lucky in that era to drive everything hot hatch you can think off - they all than there plus's and minus’s which is why I’m a little confused today, however I must agree with Ed that the 205 1.9 was one of the prettiest and liveliest having such a big engine up front - Mk2 16v Golf small bumper the best all rounder - Mk1 RS Turbo one of the most noticeable/ nicked - even the Mk2 XR2 was a great little car,Mk3 XR2i / Turbo where shocking however.

Metro Turbo / Uno Turbo / Charade Gtti all good too but they did live in the shadows of the rest.

Mk1 MR2 / Corolla had an incredible little engine and rev’d for fun.

I do think the Mk1 Astra GTE is making a comeback lately, however the Mk2 16v was definitely the Motorway car of choice - lighting in a straight line with its 2.0 Red Top engine.

Jules you are very lucky to still have one of the greats from that era - very jealous.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was lucky in that era to drive everything hot hatch you can think off - they all than there plus's and minus’s which is why I’m a little confused today, however I must agree with Ed that the 205 1.9 was one of the prettiest and liveliest having such a big engine up front - Mk2 16v Golf small bumper the best all rounder - Mk1 RS Turbo one of the most noticeable/ nicked - even the Mk2 XR2 was a great little car,Mk3 XR2i / Turbo where shocking however.

Metro Turbo / Uno Turbo / Charade Gtti all good too but they did live in the shadows of the rest.

Mk1 MR2 / Corolla had an incredible little engine and rev’d for fun.

I do think the Mk1 Astra GTE is making a comeback lately, however the Mk2 16v was definitely the Motorway car of choice - lighting in a straight line with its 2.0 Red Top engine.

Jules you are very lucky to still have one of the greats from that era - very jealous.
Without getting too rose-tinted and wistful, they were great times then weren't they... There's no way you'd even begin to contemplate some of the motoring antics from the late 80's / 90's these days... ;)

Everything just seemed so much more simple and "free". But perhaps that's just looking back at youth.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I managed to roll one Jules at 100mph and survived HaHa 😂 However I’d had some previous for doing it in a Nissan Micra too on the Huddersfield ring road 😂

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nick, not sure those two experiences should share the same paragraph. Gti micra, yeah nope doesn’t work. Your insurance must have been mental.
Ed, it really was simpler and scarier and an absolute hoot driving those crisp packets back then. No rose tinted specs needed..

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I got given a SJ410 Jules to slow me down however if it wasn’t for a Bus stop post that would have ended up side down too - I wish I still had it now as they are really making mega money, more than some Hot Hatches.

Mine was just like the one below with a white hardtop, Alpine stereo and some 6.9 speakers - Wham Bam

IMG_1332.jpeg

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I got given a SJ410 Jules to slow me down however if it wasn’t for a Bus stop post that would have ended up side down too - I wish I still had it now as they are really making mega money, more than some Hot Hatches.

Mine was just like the one below with a white hardtop, Alpine stereo and some 6.9 speakers - Wham Bam

View attachment 32936
Weirdly Nick, I can really see you whizzing round in one of those! :D

On the subject of lairy 4x4's, have you come across the old green Land Rover (late 60's model) in your area recently, which looks outwardly like a farm vehicle but get's up the road like it has an LS fitted or something, it's also very competent round corners too!

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
There are a few around that go like that Ed - I’ll ask my Land Rover friends for you ???
I was very impressed by it a few weeks ago when I happened across it, sadly traffic baulked our fun on 'your road' over to Huddersfield. Reckoned it must be local by the way it took those to 90 degree corners by Midgley Lodge... ;)