Steering Rack bushes and Sump Gasket replacement

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Has anyone any experience of replacing standard bushed with Black Powerflex bushes?

Can it be done in situ or does the subframe have to be lowered to gain access.

A few pointers, guidelines and useful insights would be appreciated.

Finally, I need to change the sump gasket.

Again does anyone have experience of doing this.

I guess I need the threaded rods 1233-01 to lower the subframe by 8mm. Does anyone have them to sell? Or can they be made up with threaded rod, penny washers and suitable nuts?

Any insight and experiences would be appreciated with this as well.

Reaction score
Bushes I physically managed in situ but it is an utter pig. Working blind, small spaces, cramped unless you have access to a lift.

Never done the sump but as you say I also believe you need to part drop the subframe at a minimum to access all the bolts and get it out.

If your doing that then I would drop the whole thing and do the rack.

Reaction score
I would also prepare yourself for the captive nut cages on the subframe to break. Leaving you with spinning nuts which ain’t the easiest to get a spanner on.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for your feedback. This sounds like a project (as opposed to a couple of weekend jobs) to do both as a when the engine comes out for a bit of TLC!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
be wary of of fitting poly bushes - pro's and cons of most things, the main cons being that the vibration effects of a firmer bush = most parts down the chain to fail... but the bushes will last longer...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yup, uprated bushes and solid mounts, etc... one heck of a vibration throughout the chassis and cabin!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for all the feedback. Plenty of good points made for me to consider and watch out for!

Just one other question on the sump gasket replacement. Do I have to drain the engine coolant to lower the subframe by 8cms? Will the coolant hoses accommodate the movement without disconnecting?