Smaller Steering Wheel Options

Reaction score
I'd like a smaller wheel - is the 330mm Renault Sport model the best option?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have one of the Sabelt RenaultSport wheels fitted, 330mm I think. Absolutely love it.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
You need to fit an indicator stalk from a non sport model, I forget which one but it has the horn button on the end.

You need a boss also.

Reaction score
Neither have horn buttons Need to order a pre facelift clio stalk with the horn push on it.

Will need a boss and air bag resistors as well.

Reaction score
Alternative to a phase 1 stalk with a horn button on the end is an adapter bracket with buttons - horn and cruise can be retained.

Josh Gault on the CSOC Facebook group makes them in his spare time. I picked mine up today :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
No airbag..... not ideal ?

Oh come on, we are all grown ups (well mostly) and it is the choice of the driver. The T is without a host of safety features fitted to modern cars but none would argue for retro fitting them and am I going to go and fit a steering wheel with bag to the 5 GTT because it's safer? No and you wouldn't argue it either.

Reaction score
I know your point of view. However is it not more of a question of removing a Saftey feature. Than a discussing retrofitting them to cars that didn’t have them originally?

Counter argument wise you could also suggest that switchable tc is a bad idea, removing side airbags to add recaros and removing abs... all things Renault did themselves to make various MK2 Clio RS cars “less safe”.

Reaction score
I have harnesses in my Trophy R hence why it's ok to swap the wheel, I may be less inclined to do so without these! But, as the guys say each to their own. You know the risk, and it's possible the seatbelt would engage before you bosch your head on the wheel on impact, although it is clearly a risk!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know your point of view. However is it not more of a question of removing a Saftey feature. Than a discussing retrofitting them to cars that didn’t have them originally?

Counter argument wise you could also suggest that switchable tc is a bad idea, removing side airbags to add recaros and removing abs... all things Renault did themselves to make various MK2 Clio RS cars “less safe”.

I just don't really see it as an issue (although I'm sure some insurance companies do) we didn't worry about it when we didn't have them in the same way that I don't worry about the fact that the car does not have some of the safely features now considered standard in some cars.

Reaction score
I just don't really see it as an issue (although I'm sure some insurance companies do) we didn't worry about it when we didn't have them in the same way that I don't worry about the fact that the car does not have some of the safely features now considered standard in some cars.

Yes but smashing your face on an OEM wheel with a soft rubber front panel is different to smashing it on a solid piece of aluminium or whatever the RS Sabelt ones are made of! :D

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Either way, with the best will in the world it's never going to be an enjoyable experience.

But back on message they do look very nice and the Trophy wheel was always pretty shit.

Reactions: Cue