Rear Suspension Rebuild

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So basically, option 2 would prevent having to drain the power steering fluid but would make the job a bit more difficult?

I've changed the rack bushes before and it was a bit of a pain. Probably not that difficult now with a car lift though.

Ive got to change the clutch next so it's probably worth removing it for powder coating and making the clutch change considerably easier. Especially considering the fact I've never changed one before. I've also got driveshafts to fit which means dropping the gearbox oil so it's worth changing the clutch at the same time.

And I though the end was near....

Reaction score
Yeah its the bolts thru the subframe that hold the rack and bushes in place. Was a fecking pain solo on the drive. The very reason i dropped it was to change the clutch. The reason i took option 2 was that did n't fancy undoing the powersteering hoses
I have heard of folk dipping one end of the subframe to get the box out the top but sounds awakward. it allows you to pull the box further towrads the wing to get enough clearance for the input shaft.

Possible whole doffrent level of challenge with a ramp though.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hopefully so.

I've got a chain block rigged up above the engine bay that I can use to either lower it or lift it. I'll probably just remove the subframe and lower it, I'm not bothered about doing it the quickest or minimalist way, I'd rather remove more things that are in the way and make the job easier.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Haha, the hardest part from the whole thing was entering the shed in the mornings and having to deal with the massacre from the night before. Tools and stuff everywhere!

At least the car looks good.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
@Big Dave Part number for the beam axle mounting bracket fixings.

7703015200 - Bolt (£7.10)
7703034247 - Nut (£1.57)

Reaction score
Great work Ben. You must be really pleased. Does the ARB make a huge difference to handling in your view?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks Gordon, yes I'm rather pleased with it.

I can't say I've noticed a huge difference with the rear ARB. To be honest I've not driven the old girl that much since fitting it so I can't really comment. Once I've got the car back on the road I'll be in a better position to see what it's like.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Looking sweet Ben...
Thanks for the part numbers etc....
Yes i know the feeling about entering the garage each morning... Been there done that....

Gordon.
I had a whitelinbe arb on my car for a short time, but removed and sold it as i wasnt keen on the handling, but others love them, its a matter of how you like your car to feel...
I felt it made the car a little rear end twitchy / oversteery some times...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. It sounds like something quite specific to individual preferences, and more set up changing than specifically an out and out improvement. Some will love it, others not.

Would be good to hear your view on it Ben, once you get chance to get out and about.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Anti-Roll Bar back from the powder coaters, power-flex bushes fitted this time round. The only bushes that are still left OEM are fitted to the steering rack and wishbones. I'm going to change them over to power-flex when I start stripping the front end again in order to fit the new clutch. Seems like a logical thing to do.

Before...

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

After...

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

Reaction score
Just stumbled across your thread while prepping to do the rear of mine this winter Ben, great work :)

Reaction score
I am blown away by this work, so jealous but in a good way!

Reaction score
Yeah, wish I was mechanically minded enough to be able to do this! And also have a garage to do it in...

Wonderful. I would get so precious with the car if it looked like the final pictures though!