Re: Handling

Reaction score
Bit concerned about the handling/feel of the car on the road, it doesn't feel as planted or stable as it used to and appears to pull left/right whilst driving.

I replaced both wishbones, ball joints, track rod ends, top mount kits, spring platforms with new genuine Renault parts last year and it hasn't been the same since, been running cup front shocks last few years until sachs rebuilt. Wheel alignment has been set up twice after these new parts fitted, still doesn't feel right and not stable/planted at speed over 60 mph tyre pressures all fine.

The steering feels light and loose whilst driving, steering wheel slightly off centre to the left at times, sporadically it will pull to the left on smooth & uneven roads, sometimes to the right, feels as though it pulls when the differential is driving each front wheel i turn? If its driving passenger front wheel when slowing down it turns steering wheel left if you remove hands from the steering wheel, same when it pulls to the right. Sometimes when braking it pulls left or right. Original thin shock spacer nuts re-fitted to secure new top mounts, I've slackened off the top mount caps under the bonnet a couple of turns still is the same, anyone got any ideas what it could be please?

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Bit concerned about the handling/feel of the car on the road, it doesn't feel as planted or stable as it used to and appears to pull left/right whilst driving.

I replaced both wishbones, ball joints, track rod ends, top mount kits, spring platforms with new genuine Renault parts last year and it hasn't been the same since, been running cup front shocks last few years until sachs rebuilt. Wheel alignment has been set up twice after these new parts fitted, still doesn't feel right and not stable/planted at speed over 60 mph tyre pressures all fine.

The steering feels light and loose whilst driving, steering wheel slightly off centre to the left at times, sporadically it will pull to the left on smooth & uneven roads, sometimes to the right, feels as though it pulls when the differential is driving each front wheel i turn? If its driving passenger front wheel when slowing down it turns steering wheel left if you remove hands from the steering wheel, same when it pulls to the right. Sometimes when braking it pulls left or right. Original thin shock spacer nuts re-fitted to secure new top mounts, I've slackened off the top mount caps under the bonnet a couple of turns still is the same, anyone got any ideas what it could be please?

Have you got a print out from having the Geo (tracking) set?

Should be neg toe out total close to -0.16 minutes.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have you replaced the ARB or steering rack bushes, sounds like it could be slight movement in the rack perhaps in that it tracks one way then the other?

Your alignment and specifically front toe settings appear to be set up ok on your print out.

Reaction score
Have you replaced the ARB or steering rack bushes, sounds like it could be slight movement in the rack perhaps in that it tracks one way then the other?

Your alignment and specifically front toe settings appear to be set up ok on your print out.

I have replaced all front ARB bushes, clamps and bolts. The steering rack bushes have not been replaced yet. Did wonder if fitting new taller shock spacer nuts would make any difference?

Reaction score
That looks fine to me.

Due to a verbal misunderstanding , I ended up with a total -0.08 toe, but it is totally stable.

Did the front wheels get swapped over left to right?

Front wheels not swapped left to right, new PS3 tyres fitted week before the wishbones, top mounts etc replaced.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
1.Although not recorded, the specified range of the front caster on that print out ( December 2020 ) does not match the 3 degrees a 182 should have.

Were they using the wrong cars settings?

2. Putting the car in for an MOT is a cost effective way to diagnose any defects.

Reaction score
Ahh ok thank you, first had wheel alignment done 26th September 2020, then didn't feel right, took it back 12th December they checked it said it was out and not correct then adjusted it again. Between the 2 alignments it has just been driven not brushed any kerbs etc. Settings they used could be incorrect?

Mot was done 18th September all ok, not road tested though just driven to ramp and back.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ahh ok thank you, first had wheel alignment done 26th September 2020, then didn't feel right, took it back 12th December they checked it said it was out and not correct then adjusted it again. Between the 2 alignments it has just been driven not brushed any kerbs etc. Settings they used could be incorrect?

Mot was done 18th September all ok, not road tested though just driven to ramp and back.

The MOT should have picked up any play in the rack, it`s mounting bushes, TRE`s, inner tie rods or the column itself.

Also the bottom ball joints, wheel bearings and rear beam bushes, so it looks that way.

Perhaps give these guys a call, as they seem to know their stuff, and their charges look reasonable.

Attachments

• Clio geometry.pdf
    62.9 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Handling of car never been the same since replacing front suspension arms/ wishbones. Fitted genuine wishbones R8200 257 956 & 8200 257 957, would there be any slight difference compared to the original ones Fitted from factory? Later ones with different caster angle etc? Obviously original ones would have some wear/tear in bushes although we're fine for Mot.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Handling of car never been the same since replacing front suspension arms/ wishbones. Fitted genuine wishbones R8200 257 956 & 8200 257 957, would there be any slight difference compared to the original ones Fitted from factory? Later ones with different caster angle etc? Obviously original ones would have some wear/tear in bushes although we're fine for Mot.

Those are the correct later wishbones, but I`d defy you to tell the difference if you had the earlier ones.

Think you just need somewhere competent to set the toe.

Reaction score
Wheel alignment done at Holden Renault Norwich yesterday 4th Feb all sorted so much better to drive as it was way out of alignment. Thanks for your help.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I`d ask for a refund from wherever got it wrong twice.