Project 338

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Afternoon all.

As you might have seen from the owners register I took possession of 338 on New Years Eve. It's a totally standard 74k mile car that needs a "little" tlc. Thought it might be worth starting a thread on the re-build / re-commisioning. It's been stood for 15 months like this under a carport with a cover on it.

image.jpg

It looked like this when I picked it up

IMG_5133.JPG

IMG_5067.JPG

IMG_5068.JPG

IMG_5180.JPG

Before this it looked like this

rqhyqzlcpi.jpg

Now back in my garage
IMG_5179.JPG

I'm the 3rd owner and it comes with good service history with belts, dephaser and clutch all replaced in September 2015. Plans are to return it to it's former glory.

Its a project for my son and I, when complete we plan to use it at the Under 17 Car Club - just like Hazzer did. We've already made a start on the interior as it was a little mouldy in places so out came the Recaro's.

IMG_5183.JPG

Dry hoovered and then wet vac cleaned using Autoglym interior shampoo and then finished with GTechniq I2 Tri clean which gets rid of 99.9% of bacteria and is also an odour eater. Then in with the dehumidifier to ensure its all dry inside. IMG_5186.JPG

The seats aren't finished yet so will post pictures when I next update.

We've got a new gear stick gaitor and top cap and heater facia to go in, as well as new metal pedals and we are about to order a new wheel from Snappy. Could do with a original cig lighter if anyone has one lying around as its the only interior that is missing.

Door covers are off as we have removed the handles which are going for paint along with the skirts, mirror covers and front/ back bumpers.

Next job is the drivers seat belt which needs a damn good clean!
IMG_5064.JPG

Well that's it for now - thanks for looking.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've just realised that i have posted this in the "For Sale" section which it certainly is not. How do I move it or can someone else please move it!

Thanks

Reaction score
Nice Meaco, had one in the garage with my Trophy :hearteyes:

Did it pull much out of the interior?

Reaction score
:grinning:Oh we like progress threads

I think you need to identify the source of the dampness in the car rather than just deal with it as it is. All that will happen otherwise is that you will have it all back together nice and done and the first downpour you'll have a footwell full of water. There's plenty of stuff about points where water gets into these cars. I would suggest also stripping the carpet out fully and the soundproofing too and get it fully dry.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
l'm certain that there isn't s leak. It has been stood without door rubbers, side trims, and rear boot catch. Add to that it was under cover and it's easy to see how damp can get in and then be trapped. We only used the dehumidifier to help speed up the princess of drying out after the carpet cleaning with a wet vac. Takes too long to dry in this weather otherwise. It surprised me just how much moisture it took out - at a guess around 1/2 - 3/4ltr. Looking at the "residues" we have cleaned up looks like a tin of fizzy drink or the like has been split in it which would explain the mould on the carpet. Had the carpets up and all nice and clean and dry under neath. All the interior cleaning is now complete and we should have the inside complete at the weekend although that depends on whether we spray the door handles ourselves or not. Might see what finish we can get first. I'll update with pictures once the interior is complete.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Further progress. Seats looking much better..

IMG_5188.JPG

We've also painted one of the doors handles (can you tell which)

IMG_5200.JPG

The front and rear bumper, roof strips, door mirror covers, and cills have gone of the spray shop for a refurb and should be ready this time next week.

Tried to order new washer blanks today - 7701208147 and found that Renault have discontinued them! Instead I have gone with SprayShack with a black stipple finish to look as OEM as possible.

Drivers side seat belt is currently soaking in a prewash solution and has been gently scrubbed with a soft scourer. Looking much better already.

Reaction score
Fantastic opportunity to bond with your son with a special car. You're doing it a great service, keep up the excellent work.

I'm intrigued though, did I miss the explanation for how it got like that in the first place?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for all the positive comments. To cut a long story short the previous owner had intended to do what I am doing but for one reason or another couldn't continue. I suspect it wasn't in the best of shapes when he bought it as he only put 200 miles on it before starting the strip down, and being stood for 15 months under only a carport and car cover has just exaggerated it. To be fair he had already done a lot of work with all behind the trims and rubbers thoroughly cleaned. We are going at it the other way getting the interior sorted first as being stored in a garage the exterior can wait.

Reaction score
Nice little project thread, great to see these cars being restored to their former glory, making me want to throw (more) money at mine and get it properly detailed.

Reaction score
Great work, soon be looking in tip top condition at this rate.

Reaction score
They needed doing in May last year when previous owner bought it, looks like he spent all his time pullling it apart so looks unlikely they got done

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well we have made real progress this weekend and save for a new steering wheel and fitting the new padals the interior is complete.

IMG_5203.JPG

"New" heater controls and and new gator.

Drivers seat belt looks like new....

IMG_5213.JPG

IMG_5214.JPG

IMG_5215.JPG

We cleaned and polished all door shuts and refreshed all the rubber seals.

IMG_5220.JPG

We then set sbout the exterior. Starting with a Gtechniq snow foam to loosen sny bonded contaminants, followed by a tar removal and then a clay bar, before washing and then a liberal coat of polish.

IMG_5212.JPG

Before...

IMG_5209.JPG

After... (and we refitted the side trims and bullets)

IMG_5216.JPG

IMG_5217.JPG

IMG_5218.JPG

Reaction score
Wow, Dave you and your son have really cracked on with the work and by the looks of the pics done a great job. The heater panel is not a nice job but the effort is worth it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Quick question. Am i missing a piece of trim or should the boot seal fit over the plastic as well the the lip on the bodywork?

IMG_5223.JPG