Part 2 - Eibach Trophy Front Springs - 15 sets.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
My springs looked like this at around 70,000 miles...

FD5AEA15-6291-4CFB-91D3-1A972A4B8066.jpeg

The paint was rather crusty around the area where they snapped but they weren't excessively rusty. I wouldn’t like to suggest on how their life could have been extended.

bearne1, if I was in your situation with the original springs in working order and wanting to keep the new set as long as possible, I would have them powder coated and hope that it would prolong their life. It’s impossible to know how long they will last but it’s worth a go, surely.

Reactions: MC1
Reaction score
Trophy No.
My springs looked like this at around 70,000 miles...

View attachment 27584

The paint was rather crusty around the area where they snapped but they weren't excessively rusty. I wouldn’t like to suggest on how their life could have been extended.

bearne1, if I was in your situation with the original springs in working order and wanting to keep the new set as long as possible, I would have them powder coated and hope that it would prolong their life. It’s impossible to know how long they will last but it’s worth a go, surely.

They have been turned around in less than 24 hours and £30 all in so eagerly awaiting the result and collection later this afternoon ?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Pics attached

Attachments

• 20200716_144744.jpg
    20200716_144744.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200716_144720.jpg
    20200716_144720.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200716_144744.jpg
    20200716_144744.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20200716_144720.jpg
    20200716_144720.jpg
    461.6 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Trophy No.
having the old springs powder coated will reduce the corrosion issue, but doesn't address the fact that springs soften over time. If they have been on the car for more than 5 years it is likely they won't be producing the same spring rate as they did out of the factory. I would replace rather than refurb.

Reactions: MC1
Reaction score
having the old springs powder coated will reduce the corrosion issue, but doesn't address the fact that springs soften over time. If they have been on the car for more than 5 years it is likely they won't be producing the same spring rate as they did out of the factory. I would replace rather than refurb.

I'm with you and would replace given the age of the Spring. I've just ordered some from Mark Fish to replace mine.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was always told that if a spring had a weakness it would have gone by now and unless any tell tale signs, they should last the life of the vehicle. Mine has never been tracked in the 11 years ownership so personally for me I don't think I would really notice the difference. I do however have a spare set should this be disproven

MC1

Reaction score
I was always told that if a spring had a weakness it would have gone by now and unless any tell tale signs, they should last the life of the vehicle. Mine has never been tracked in the 11 years ownership so personally for me I don't think I would really notice the difference. I do however have a spare set should this be disproven

I regularly replace broken springs, and original quality springs such as the Eibachs last way longer than aftermarket items. Many springs are powder coated but have a bare metal area where the coater hangs them up. It’s this area that (i think) starts off with corrosion and greatly reduces the life of them. Of course quality of the metal is also a factor and cheap springs will generally peel & rust faster.

If you’ve ever had/seen a spring break and rip through a tyre or slice right through a wheel rim at high speed you’ll appreciate their condition is important. Certain cars are more prone to this - eg Mini / BMW where the spring base sits in an odd position on the damper spring plate, with big height drop if a break occurs on the bottom end. The large coil spacing at this point means the tyre hits the damper - and if the sharp end faces the tyre it’s even worse.

Looking closely at freshly broken springs shows a small rusty crevice present with the clean break taking up most of the cross section. Just info that may help you decide whether or not to refurb them. A close look at the whole surface is very important [emoji6]

Reactions: Cue

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
as above - no spring will outlast a car, unless said car doesn't last long. Most should be replaced every 50k miles or so, although the state of the road surface the car racks up the miles is a great factor in aging of the spring.

Reaction score
Hi all,
Did someone instal them?
Can you please let me know your heights between the ground and the fenders front/rear?
Do you think my rear can be subsided after 15yrs?
I havent the 50mm trophy difference front/rear
Thanks