New owner - some help needed

Reaction score
Thank you

Philfree. Thank you for your advice. Can I ask, are you meaning negative and not positive camber front and rear? Good advice regarding the Harness mounts.

Yes I meant neg camber of course but sounded strange to say increase a neg value. Concerning the suspension upgrade, advise for top end adjustable coilovers is good but really are to be top-end to beat the sachs. I tried several different suspensions and "regular performance" coilovers don't match the sachs performance. As long as they're unpinned so that you can stiffen them for track use, you will find that they are really up to the job.

For really serious performance, of course you would replace the suspension, brakes, throw in a roll cage, may be LSD and shorter final drive but I don't think it's your intent to use the Trophy as a track-only car. This car needs very little mods from stock to be a very good performer on track

Last edited:
Reaction score
A brief update. The car is in build currently and will go to the paint shop for tidying shortly. Dampers have been rebuilt by BG motorsport and un pinned. New rear dampers are fitted with new but standard rear discs and pads. Pure motorsport stainless racing exhaust system with cat back and de restriction kit fitted with thier short shift kit. They also provided the shimms and bolts required for the geo set up - which will have a light track bias. Brembo high carbon front discs and pads fitted and Toyo 888R tyres on Speedline 15" rims. I picked up a very clean heater control panel on ebay and a new glovebox cover and internal door handles from Renault Wolverhampon. New wheel bearings all round, cam and aux belt changed along with water pump. Mobil 1 oil in engine and millers for the transmission. Sabelt harness need fitting and the re trimmed (alcantara) steering wheel from Royal.

In the paint shop they will tidy where neccesary, push a few small 'door' dings out and fit new trophy decals.

Very much looking forward to driving the car when its finished. I hope that she likes it...!

Reaction score
Sounds like you have been very busy. Will be looking forward to some pics once its all back from the paint shop.

Reaction score
Picked the car up from CTR Motorsport yesterday and dropped it off at the paint shop. It is still running on it's old tyres but even so, the chassis had a decent balance and the brakes were very adiquate for occasional track use - we are using the same fluid that we run in the 997 Cup car. Set up is -2.75 front and -1.5 rear. 2mm of toe out front and rear. It doesnt feel pointy or sharp. Reasonably forgiving and benign. I had it sideways a few times in the lanes just to see where the limits were and what it does but absolutely no nasty surprises. just keep your foot in a la most FWD's and it sorts itself out. It will be a lot sharper with the Toyo's fitted but, I suspect not unfriendly to an inexperienced driver. Damping control on the rebuilt Fronts is very good although the rear set up could be a little better - I wont change as i want to keep the car as standard as possible.

Impressed with the Quality of the Racing precision items that have been fitted. Notatbly the exhaust system and quick shift system. Both very nice upgrades. The quick shift system is particularly good. The exhaust note is nice i suppose but years of being strapped in to racing cars has given me a nice dose of tinitus so any loudness is never that welcolme in anything that i drive. I wear ear plugs when im racing these days but it's too late as the damage as already been done.

Great advice from this forum for the harness fitting meant that no cage or bar was needed so the rear seats are still accessable. I've opted for a 4 point harness but if a 6 point is required, a mounting bracket may need to be made up.

There doesnt appear to be any paint required other than a customary tidy of the door and boot handles,, so it looks like a little small dent removal and a decent valet will be all that's required.

Will post some pics when it's done

Reaction score
A few pictures of the car. Wheels and Toyos yet to be fitted. Very pleased with the set up.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.JPG
    IMG_0825.JPG
    762.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0784.JPG
    IMG_0784.JPG
    454.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    610.4 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
I've just fitted the speedline corse wheels and Toyo R888 tyres. The sticky compound combined with the higher sidewall provides more grip combined with more feel and progression as you reach 10/10ths. This makes things easier on the track also. For me, it makes a very good car even better. Either way, my other half absolutely loves the car which is all that matters.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. Very friendy forum.

Reaction score
I've just fitted the speedline corse wheels and Toyo R888 tyres. The sticky compound combined with the higher sidewall provides more grip combined with more feel and progression as you reach 10/10ths. This makes things easier on the track also. For me, it makes a very good car even better. Either way, my other half absolutely loves the car which is all that matters.

Thanks for all of your help and advice. Very friendy forum.
IMG_1474.JPG

Reaction score
Got to be happy with that. :hearteyes:
I took the trophy out for a hoon on Saturday around the snotty/greasy lanes of Suffolk. The speed that the car carried through corners and the poise/body control really surprised me. Each time I drive one of these little cars I it delivers a level of engagement and reward that only the very best sports cars can match - and i'm lucky enough to have driven a lot of them.

It must be the performance bargain of the century.

Reaction score
Update. I've had a few problems with a piston sticking on a front caliper. Also I've noticed some ( a little ) fade after heavy track use which is not uncommon for a road based car ( am running racing fluid and high carbon discs BTW). I boxed up the original calipers and sent them off for a refrurb and ordered the brembo 4 pot/AP racing brake kit from Racing Precision. Honestly? they are overkil for the trophy but they wont fade or wear out. The car will be over braked but the abs will sort the balance out and years of racing have taught me that it is always better to be over braked than under braked.

Either way, Will report back on the dynamic driving differences if any..

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I can't help becoming drawn to the Landy in the picture above. Looks very nice, lovely colour.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
How are the harnesses working out? Do they thread through under the rear seat back when you are using them, then through the holes in the recaros? Just pondering options for trackdays, and the only thing I want to add is a harness. Thanks!