Looking for a Trophy

Reaction score
So just to confirm we are in agreement that I should look into 187 more and seems like a solid car.
My worry with eBay 7k one is rust. Can't buy another car with rust issues, my mental health and bank balance can't take it.

You're going to find rust with most of them unfortunately, they have lasted longer than the Mk1 Clio's ever did but you're not going to get away with a rust free car no matter what the advert has to say.

If you can get away with one not showing on the bodywork and it's just showing underneath then you are onto a winner but you will find some, without a doubt.

Definitely don't buy on mileage, for me personally it's far easier to get a car mechanically sound than it is to restore a body.

So #187....

Northy & me picked it up in March 2021, the owner drove it on the test drive then we trailered it back home. It was with me until January 2023 when it was PX'd for a Megane. It was stored outside under a cover in this time, it had seen a healthy amount of WD40 sprayed underneath/arches before being covered. Mileage when we picked it up in 2021 was 76,690, mileage when we dropped it off 2023 for PX was 76,714 - the guy went for a drive in it when we arrived, again it was transported on a trailer to him.

Apart from driving it up & down my street we had never used it, it was a long term plan but the Megane came up.

It was bought without MOT, mainly due to COVID and was never MOT'd in the time we had it, it was PX'd without MOT by us. I did make a list of things at the time, I'd have to see if I still had it, mainly things that needed doing to return it to original, one of which was the exhaust, man it was loud!!

I took plenty of pictures, I'd need to check if I still had them, we did the video for the guy where we PX'd it.

It did clean up well from memory, a few orange trim bits which is the norm.

We had bought the service items for getting the car done so we included them in the sale/PX.

Love that Turbo

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Nice to know these aren't bad for rust. A car the is only a few years old will have rust just the way if the world.
Nice to know it didn't have a MOT and exhaust was super loud. Would need to get both of those sorted if I'm going to proceed with it.
When was the Timing Belt last done, would it be safe to drive as suspect at their point it's need to be done straight away.

Reaction score
From memory the previous owner said they were within date (when we bought it) but didn't have any paperwork, he said he'd get the paperwork but it never turned up.

Love that Turbo

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Just spoke to the garage and usual selling for a friend of the owner and zero movement on price.
Think it needs easily 3k spend on it to bring it up to standard of where if should be.

Reaction score
Had a read already. I know it will need money spent on it to keep it right. Have had this discussion with friends who want to buy fast cars but expect to be able to run them on a budget.
Still trying to financially recover from getting this sorted, still loads to do but the base is solid now.

Slane Castle by the looks of it?

Reaction score
That’s the place where they have the rock concerts isn’t it Francis?

100% correct on that one Ed.

There has been some very happy and sore heads coming out of those gates over the years 😉😂😂

I was last at it for GnR in 2017.

I got into the car at 10pm, before the concert was even over and I was still in the field at 2am in the morning!!!
Never again 🙄

I should have stayed in Westport at the Mini MM that was on that same weekend in Westport House,instead of driving back to see Axl and co 🙈😂😂

Reaction score
@Love that Turbo apologies for taking your thread off topic.

You wont go too far wrong getting information on here relating to the Trophy,theres a lot of great knowledge and enthusiasm for them in the membership.

And if you manage to get one before next year,be sure to make your way across to Wales for next years anniversary gathering.

@photo_ed would be more than happy to see another owner/car make it for the celebrations.

Best of luck with your search 👍

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
100% correct on that one Ed.

There has been some very happy and sore heads coming out of those gates over the years 😉😂😂

I was last at it for GnR in 2017.

I got into the car at 10pm, before the concert was even over and I was still in the field at 2am in the morning!!!
Never again 🙄

I should have stayed in Westport at the Mini MM that was on that same weekend in Westport House,instead of driving back to see Axl and co 🙈😂😂
I can well imagine that Francis! 🤣

Westport is a lovely wee town isn't it and that bit of coast road that heads out there with Croagh Patrick on the left and the sea on the right is, if my memory serves, a bit of a cracker, both in terms of scenery and the driving! In fact, I think my Dad and myself used to have a wee "road rally" loop round Croagh Patrick which we'd do fairly regular after a good drive down through Mayo, usually in a couple of cars, back in the olden days. A great memory. 😁(y)

I'd also better apologise for taking the thread off on a little tangent, I'll reign myself in... 🤣

Reaction score
I can well imagine that Francis! 🤣

Westport is a lovely wee town isn't it and that bit of coast road that heads out there with Croagh Patrick on the left and the sea on the right is, if my memory serves, a bit of a cracker, both in terms of scenery and the driving! In fact, I think my Dad and myself used to have a wee "road rally" loop round Croagh Patrick which we'd do fairly regular after a good drive down through Mayo, usually in a couple of cars, back in the olden days. A great memory. 😁(y)

I'd also better apologise for taking the thread off on a little tangent, I'll reign myself in... 🤣

The good ould days Ed, as they say around these parts ;) 😂