Looking for a Trophy

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
@Love that Turbo

I personally think this looks like a decent proposition, #147 - back on eBay and now only £7k with a spares package available:

Love that Turbo

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Had a read already. I know it will need money spent on it to keep it right. Have had this discussion with friends who want to buy fast cars but expect to be able to run them on a budget.
Still trying to financially recover from getting this sorted, still loads to do but the base is solid now.

Attachments

• IMG-20240908-WA0024.jpg
    IMG-20240908-WA0024.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 4

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Had a read already. I know it will need money spent on it to keep it right. Have had this discussion with friends who want to buy fast cars but expect to be able to run them on a budget.
Still trying to financially recover from getting this sorted, still loads to do but the base is solid now.
Are you based in Ireland?

Love that Turbo

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I'm figuring a max of 12-13k hence why I'm looking at #277 as milage isn't too high.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm figuring a max of 12-13k hence why I'm looking at #277 as milage isn't too high.
I'd be wary of buying on mileage alone though, I've seen some low mileage - absolute horror stories in recent times. Better to buy on condition, history and upkeep than the numbers on the clock in my view.

Edited to add: That said, a well looked after, sorted low mileage example of anything is always a great find and a lovely thing to have... but I still stand by the fact a lot of slightly higher mileage stuff will actually run better and need less "recommissioning" as it's probably already been done..

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes,I live just north of Dublin. Hopefully the club won't be upset with one of the #numbers heading across the water
Great! If you get one, you'll have to join in the 'Trophy's to Ireland Tour' I hope to one day organise. When I had #069 when it was new, it spent a lot of time in Ireland, perfect for the roads 'out West'.... ;) 🤣

Love that Turbo

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Who would be best to get a pre purchase inspection done. Worry is rust or how are these with it.

Edit. My worry about the 7k one is the slight rust and why so cheap. It's seems a bargain which worries me

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Who would be best to get a pre purchase inspection done. Worry is rust or how are these with it.
Main bodywork rust worries are the rear three quarters - round the arches, fuel filler area and the back end of the sills. It seems hit and miss which cars are affected, with to be honest, the majority being fine. It's some of the low mileage stuff I've seen which are utterly horrendous underneath, parked up immobile for long periods in less than suitable storage conditions, a bit of a minefield.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm wondering if @NickReilly063 might have some info/had eyes on No.187?

I was talking to the Legend tonight who owned this car - he sent me a video of it when he P/x it for another Legendary Renault for his collection -

All I can say is if it was good enough for them to buy it must be a decent car, or they would have run a mile.

Maybe catching up with them on Saturday morning Ed at the Motorist if your about - weather looks half decent too -

So if any info is needed they will tell me honestly

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Edit. My worry about the 7k one is the slight rust and why so cheap. It's seems a bargain which worries me

It's been to Mick at Diamond Motors for work, that is enough of a good sign to me of the type of owner and the fettle the car is in. The seller seems honest about the bubbling on the rear arch which again tell's me he's not trying to hide anything.

The price is probably reflective of the higher mileage, but if I was looking for a Trophy I wouldn't care too much about piling daily miles on, this one would be first on my list.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I was talking to the Legend tonight who owned this car - he sent me a video of it when he P/x it for another Legendary Renault for his collection -

All I can say is if it was good enough for them to buy it must be a decent car, or they would have run a mile.

Maybe catching up with them on Saturday morning Ed at the Motorist if your about - weather looks half decent too -

So if any info is needed they will tell me honestly
As always, you come up with the goods Nick. I knew you'd have some inside info... 😆 ;)

A preliminary Yes to a trip to TM, I'll PM you... 😁(y)

Love that Turbo

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Are there any Clio experts in Yorkshire as would like the have #187 inspected. ( I assure I need more than the usual RAC inspection)
Wonder why the dampers are off it and is everything there to go back on, apart from usual bushes, worry is that something rare is missing and won't be noticed till putting the proper dampers back on it.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Am I the only one who almost choked at ‘£1k for belts’?

Where on earth is charging close to that?
My belts service by Mick at Diamond last year set me back £905.09...

I don't think that's an unusual price and am pretty sure Mick wouldn't be mugging me off.

Similarly, the belts service on my 200 Cup was £1037.00

It was an expensive week...

Love that Turbo

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Full set of belt is a few hundred quid....
I assume the 1k price is fitted 😁