BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Kinetic Energy Recovery System.
Anyone think this will be developed into road cars down the line..? It seems cutting edge F1 technology is eventually being put into road cars after a number of years when its no longer new. Could KERS be used in a road car to give a power boost ?

Just a thought.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I thought the KERS in some hybird road cars was to charge the battery ?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It seems like a given for hybrid and electric but I suppose it really depends how much weight is added and if the power developed can offse that extra weight.

Reaction score
There are several road car projects already happening. we are involved in a government funded research project with Jaguar and several other parties for a flywheel system - target date, if successful, for production circa 2015. Note that in China several teams have taken it off - for racing the problems are added weight, changed centre of gravity and weight distirbution and inconsistent effect on braking, coupled with only being able to use it for 6 seconds per lap.

Reaction score
If they didn't have the 6/7 sec/lap limit on it, theoretically how long could they actually make use of it? Consecutive seconds wise as some "charging" period must be needed at some point?

Reaction score
The available energy at any one time depends on the size of the batteries, as there is a limit it pays to keep the weight of the batteries down, so it is a slightly circular question. It might be that there could be more rechargings per lap and hence more use - from what we can gather there certainly is potential for more, but it will vary for each installation. At present the inconsistent affect on braking is the biggest issue - the balance changes depending on whether charging or not as it will change the brake bias.

Ajr

Reaction score
BMWs use a similar system just to improve fuel economy, it shuts the alternator down while driving, and when on overrun and braking it reactivates it. Obviously it has no boost function.

Make use of every Watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine.
BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.
Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery.

Reaction score
The Tesla is straight electric (we did the prototype transmissions)- no reason why the electric motor cannot charge the batteries on the over-run.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
aah, i'm sure one of the electric sports cars uses a KERS type system - although they use the motors in the wheels rather than brakes as the generator whilst slowing down. (I think)

Reaction score
Cue said:
aah, i'm sure one of the electric sports cars uses a KERS type system - although they use the motors in the wheels rather than brakes as the generator whilst slowing down. (I think)

Did James May mention that about the Honda Clarity - while not a sports car - when he drove it in California maybe?

Reaction score
hoolio said:
It seems like a given for hybrid and electric but I suppose it really depends how much weight is added and if the power developed can offse that extra weight.
thats why not all of the F1 teams have it