Jacking technique

Reaction score
Hi guys if you have to remove the rear subframe where would you recommend the jack point be at the back of the car? With access to those trolly jacks and normal car jack stand only and not a hoist?

Jack up centrally on the rear beam and use grooved rubber pads on the rear sills and place your stands there.
That’s what I’d do anyway.

Reaction score
On a related point, can anyone recommend some low / short axle stands please?

Mine are, I guess standard height but longer than strictly necessary.

Reaction score
On a related point, can anyone recommend some low / short axle stands please?

Mine are, I guess standard height but longer than strictly necessary.
I like the ratchet items from SGS. They have a nice compact head so you can get them in tighter places. Also nice to have some flat pad stands that spread the load further on your chassis rails

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have used the 3 tonne ratchet type as sold by Machine Mart for £28.79 per pair and also their 1.5 tonne Aluminium racing stands at £59.98 per pair. The latter have a flatter contact surface which is more applicable for supporting box sections and flatter surfaces.

I always try and put some rubber packing between the contact surfaces so as not to damage the bodywork.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jack up centrally on the rear beam and use grooved rubber pads on the rear sills and place your stands there.
That’s what I’d do anyway.

I agree. It’s the best option.
if the sills are damaged this does create a problem, however, I think the points circled in these images could be used to support the weight of the rear of the car once jacked from the centre of the axle beam....

(not the exhaust pipe, obviously, the beam beneath)

D7D6E139-F8E8-4A5D-9FEC-786427ACBA0F.jpeg

55A30798-FB26-4FED-A7F9-25DE853E14BA.jpeg

Reaction score
Agreed Ben, however you will need a decent sized stand to get on that section of chassis rail. ??

Reaction score
Thanks guys i'll see if i can get my jack stands to extend as high as those load points at the rear of the car. Otherwise i'll just place the jack stands on the rear sills with rubber blocks when i remove the rear beam.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Probably not the most enthralling ‘follow up’ to my original thread now that so much useful info has already be shared.

However, working under the car today I noticed the three holes (two square and one inboard round) which looked very similar to the rear load points identified by BenG’s photo on 20 April.

CCB1EABC-5D70-476C-8CB6-FA1112F98C30.jpeg

I assume that these respective holes were used to attach the chassis to the overhead supporting cradle during assembly on the factory production line even up to engine and running gear/suspension fitment.

If this was the case would not that ‘conveniently accessible area’ be strong enough as a jacking area or support area for axle stands?

I was also interested in getting views on hydraulic scissor ramps to raise the front wheels before placing axle stands under the front of the car and removing the road wheels. I have been looking at the C J Autos New Super Low Hydraulic Ramps 900 kg CR06X. Has anyone used these and if so would you recommend them?

Www.cjautos.eu

Reaction score
Good point above ^ i'm curious whether anyone has thought about a machined adaptor mount you could bolt up to the front there and the rear where the current jack mounts are to give additional rigidity and width for a normal floor jack to contact to?

Reaction score
Good point above ^ i'm curious whether anyone has thought about a machined adaptor mount you could bolt up to the front there and the rear where the current jack mounts are to give additional rigidity and width for a normal floor jack to contact to?
Porsche have similar “lock in“ pucks which fit on the jacking points.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hughie.

The jacking/supporting area you have suggested would be ideal. It’s very strong and allows full access to every component at the front of the vehicle. Off the top of my head, I think the access is quite restricted in order to get a jack in there? However, as you have suggested it would be useful to have a set of scissor jacks to lift the vehicle prior to positioning axle stands at that location.

Before I got the lift I bought a set of axle stands which have a flat top that sit nicely around the chassis beam which was mentioned previously. You can also buy rubber pads for them on eBay which would offer additional protection for the under-seal. I used those jacks religiously.

99E2049D-6D82-417E-A500-9E74CFE48598.jpeg

02FD67E0-8835-4F30-8447-6B30C75C1858.jpeg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ben

Thank you very much for your informative response.

I was pleased to see that you also believe that this area identified is quite strong and suitable for either jacking or taking the static weight of the vehicle on stands.

I am no vehicle chassis structural engineer so would like to get as many views as possible and get consensus on this being a suitable are strength/integrity wise.

Regarding your point about access to this area. I used some low rise service ramps and a low trolley jack. This combination provides very easy access.

I do like the design of the axle stands you have used . The flatter wider contact area is so much better than the V shaped ones (that I have!) designed for the sill profile.

Taking Gambit and Frayz’s comments above I may try and sketch up a design for a dedicated mount to locate on a round trolley jack saddle and in the two square holes in the chassis. Not sure what material would be best. Ideally solid rubber is best but is nigh on impossible to machine. Maybe Aluminium alloy or better still Tufnol as it wouldn’t damage the surfaces.

If anyone has better suggestions please let me know.