ICE upgrade opinions

Reaction score
Hey folks, looks like I'm sorted for the Steering wheel stalk connector, and am looking at an Alpine Single DIN head. What are the thoughts on speaker upgrades, worth it or not? If so, what direct replacement units have people used and got on with?

Cheers

Reaction score
Is it worth replacing speakers unless you’re going to add an amplifier? Will there be a discernible difference? Something else to consider is to add an under seat sub woofer, that could help too.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I replaced the speakers in my car, with Pioneer,s
Fronts were TS-G1645,
Rears TS-G1045
And added a underset [passenger seat],sub, Alpine version.
All connected to a Becker Grand Prix head unit .
It has helped improve to sound, but itl never be " mindblowing"....
The Sub helped in filling in the bass, which i found lacking in the standard setup.. It can be adjusted aswell...
The Pioneers were a relatively easy swap, just having to modify the speaker cable connections slightly....

And no i dont have the info displayed on the dash, as the becker unit wasnt compatible ...

Reaction score
Interesting option to consider there. My main driver in looking to replace is that I've had a couple of issues with CDs ejecting (sticking) and skipping on smaller bumps than I remember it doing so. For an OEM head, it's not shabby. Also find myself wanting to connect phone sources more these days, the times of an ipod rf transmitter doing the needful are about ten years behind us! Was basically considering if worth swapping out speakers at the same time, or if they'll not be significantly better performance!

Anyone got any specs for oem head/speakers at all? Just want to get broadly same oomph.

Reaction score
agree the above comment about replacing speakers paired with an amplifier however if you get a decent single din headunit with decent channel wattage output (RMS), that will suffice too. I've run an old Alpine head unit with 4x50w RMS output paired with Focal IS 165 speakers and that had an amazing amount of clarity across all frequencies (in an old car, still stock setup in the clio). Also depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go with a plug and play solution (ISO connectors for easy head unit removal, retaining factory speaker wiring etc) or full install.

I believe the clio front speakers are 5.25" components (driver in the door, tweeter in the dash) and 5.25" speaker in the rear.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I didn't bother when upgrading my HU, the speakers aren't that bad to be honest - can handle most inbuild amps that top end HU's have, if going the separate amps route, then it may be an idea to upgrade the speakers, but you won't notice a huge different in ohms output.