Greenlight won’t insure my car

Reaction score
Sorry for attention grabbing headline.

I had a message left by Greenlight insurance to say the underwriter wont renew as the car has no current MOT. i would have thought as the car has been SORN for a couple of years therefore not being driven they would welcome insuring it with the risk of it being subject to a claim being far less than if it were being regularly driven.

Ive no major issue with it as I’m sure I can get it insured elsewhere if they are happy to throw £150 premium away, it just seems a bit strange

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very strange indeed... I have been with Greenlight for years and my Trophy has been SORN and without MOT for the last 5 years...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if it's sorn, then it's legal status is the same as if it's MOT'd, the DVLA just has to have t listed on the database as either SORN or MOT'd.

Seems very strange, have you asked why?

Reaction score
I just got a voicemail message left from Greenlight to say the insurer had been in touch to say they no longer insure cars that are not MOT’d so unless I proposed to test it before renewal date they were unable to accept my renewal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Can you not insure it on a "lay up policy". One of my cars is insured that way, with no problems...[ Not with greenlight though]....

Reaction score
Greenlight referred it back to the Insurer who have now agreed to renew ( obviously if I choose to do so with them)

apparently they were concerned the car was being used without MOT !!! They have since checked SORN record

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I previously insured the trophy through Greenlight but they refused to reinsure when my renewal came up whilst I was between jobs having been made redundant. I was pretty disgusted with their attitude and failed to see how that made me a bigger risk with two other cars insured at the time, one of which was the daily and the T being on limited mileage. I thought their attitude stank and actually still do.

Reaction score
I previously insured the trophy through Greenlight but they refused to reinsure when my renewal came up whilst I was between jobs having been made redundant. I was pretty disgusted with their attitude and failed to see how that made me a bigger risk with two other cars insured at the time, one of which was the daily and the T being on limited mileage. I thought their attitude stank and actually still do.

im actually thinking of moving my business, they came back with a £220 quote which is about £40 more than I pay for my £25k Elise. I don’t pay more than £200 on any of my cars so I think it’s time to move

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Jeez, I'm going to be in trouble come renewal time then... currently with Greenlight, no MOT and SORN'd for at least 5 years, and I've been out of work for 4 months... Yup, might be time to move on.

Reaction score
That is odd.. what do they propose with a policy where the mot runs out mid policy? They must be seeing a rise of non mot cars being involved with claims.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Greenlight referred it back to the Insurer who have now agreed to renew ( obviously if I choose to do so with them)

apparently they were concerned the car was being used without MOT !!! They have since checked SORN record
basically then, they've now done their job right... insurers drive me crazy...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
one of the 'issues' with greenlight is their policies have a min limit of defacto 3 stars. most of the insurers are 5* though, so you do tend to pay for the better policies. I was with last year, but their renewal quote was double what Adrian Flux's was (sub £200 just), but this is with a defacto star rated policy of 2* - just hope I don't need to claim lol... But you get what you pay for.

If it's SORN, I'd be going with cost every time as the risk is minimal.

Reaction score
On the usual comparison sites I’m getting quotes of around £130 which nearly £100 less than Highway Ins through greenlight.
I accept there are issues around the value of these cars come a total loss claim but given it sits garaged most of the time and certainly the last couple of years I’m not really sure it’s worth the extra for “peace if mind”