Garage Car ramps & lifts...

Reaction score
Trophy No.

A proper lift would be ideal one day, too many other things to spend my money on at the moment though :weary:, maybe one day I'll get round to my dream garage/workshop setup! Seem to get a bit more height out the scissor type and it looks like you can lift the whole car on the level too which would be nice...

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
With the lift/jack you have suggested you're still pretty limited with height in the sense that you're still going to be rolling around on the floor to carry out any work, however, it's perhaps an improvement over axle stands in terms of height. I'm not too sure it's designed to be lifted or supported with the car being level though, you've either got to tilt it forwards or back, the span of the lifting pads don't seem long enough to cover both jacking points on the Trophy?
The plus side of that lift over the other one mentioned is that you can remove the wheels once it's jacked up which is of real benefit.

For £200 you can buy a really good jack and axle stands which will do the same job just as well, although you may lose out on a bit of lifting height, if the extra height is worth the premium then the one you've suggested may be the best option. A full sized scissor jack is obviously the next step up but the prices rise quite considerably too.

My 4 post was £4K fitted + £1800 for the jacking beams. The equivalent 2 post type was £4K but you need pretty strong concrete to install it on. You also need a pretty high shed to install one, my shed is 4M in height which is just right, you wouldn't want any less, they also take up a lot of space.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers for that Ben, ideally I'd like to see one of these set ups in real life before I bought something anyway. Thats why I thought I'd see if anyone here had used one. I might just have to persevere with the jack and axle stands for a bit longer and start saving for something a bit more substantial.

I'm not sure what my mrs would say if I built another shed so I could fit a full size ramp in :smirk:
I've already got a stable block and garage full of stuff...

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The one you suggested is probably the best option for somewhere between axle stands and a scissor jack, I don't think you will find much else in that price range that will be of greater use, I imagine it will be very useful. The ability to lift the car from the chassis/lifting points is the main benefit as the brakes, drivetrain and suspension can be worked on. It's also portable and can be stored easily which is obviously useful if you have a garage full of stuff.

I know I haven't had any hands on experience with the type of lift in question, which is what you're looking for, but I have spent a considerable amount of time looking at all types of lifting devices. It's a bit of a mine field and people's views and opinions vary greatly which makes the decision making process quite difficult. They're all compromised in some way but as long as you think it will work for you and your own means and you stay away from anything cheaply made you're good.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm home from sea in the next couple of weeks so I'll get on the case then. I'll stick an update on if I get something sorted!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
That must have been fun moving that Dave! Did you go and pick it up?

Although the 4 post takes up a large footprint the ability to park a car on top and underneath effectively doubles your storage space, should you have 2 vehicles.

FullSizeRender 35.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
That garage is ace!!

We recently purchased one of these at work for £1400 inc vat. They come in single phase as well. You just need a big garage to house it. Can lift 4t.

It ain't used day in day out, but have since fount out our place we use for mot's has two of the same lifts, in use for 3 years, 6 days a week with no problems.

fd61f937becec7edbf0f8a7df351b4af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ben. Yes it was fun. Luckily I have a car trailer so we dismantled it ,loaded it on the flat bed and drove home. It is heavy though ,very well made. I need help building it back up , but it's just the job now...