Filing DS 2500

Reaction score
I will be fitting the above pads in a couple of days, and I've heard you can lessen the chances of them squeeking by filing down the edges of the backing plate.

Has anyone on here done this and can you tell me exacly where on the pad I should file and how much?

Thanks
Graham

Reaction score
Hi

I had to file down one side of my pads as they would not fit in all the way on one which I think is down to the casting of the caliper.
Its a bit difficult to explain where to file if it needs it but if you look at the backing plate the 2 outer "slotted" parts at the top edges just needed a small amount of relief so that they move freely in the caliper this usually can be seen where the caliper marks the backing plate edge.also apply a small amount of copper slip or similar on the edges but make sure NONE gets on the disc or pad face :!:

So far mine are squeak free [-o<

Reaction score
Wish I could say the same for mine... They squeal like, well, very squeally brakes... I filed them down but left the anti squeal shims in which I understand could be my mistake. Hey ho, I can put up with it!

Whatever you do, don't make my mistake and overtighten the caliper bolts - I managed to shear one... Thankfully the pads come with replacements. - Lesson well learned there! :oops:

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Wish I could say the same for mine... They squeal like, well, very squeally brakes... I filed them down but left the anti squeal shims in which I understand could be my mistake. Hey ho, I can put up with it!

Whatever you do, don't make my mistake and overtighten the caliper bolts - I managed to shear one... Thankfully the pads come with replacements. - Lesson well learned there! :oops:

Yep take out the shims #-o

Reaction score
I actually used a fair amount of copper grease - guessing that leaving the shims in was my downfall..

Reaction score
Cheers for all the advice and help! Maybe one day I will be able to add a bit of value to this site!