broad band phone calls???

Reaction score
I presume you mean as in using your computer, not core network Voice over IP telecoms... :wink:

First thing you need is a microphone/speakers. You can buy them separately, or in the form of a USB phone, or as a webcam with mic and speakers. Next you need the software, MSN messenger has been doing this for years, but new kids on the block are Skype and Google Talk. You can also use yahoo messenger - although this is the least apt. Basically install the software, create a user account, find out your mates' user accounts and click on "Call". :) With a webcam, using MSN messenger, you can also make video calls. Skype has not added this functionality yet.

Day

Reaction score
Internet telephony.

I use skype to talk to my parents and friends, have done for over a year now.
Recently I brought myself a USB skype phone which I prefer over the 1990's mic I had!

Saves a small fortune in long distance calls :D

You can buy credit like on a mobile phone and use it to call landlines at rates even cheaper than BT.

http://www.skype.com/

Reaction score
ah cool...thanks chaps. So i guess you still need a land line....for the time being..
I was hoping to do away with it altogether!
I suppose the other user has to be online for you to ring em?

Reaction score
You need a connection to the local exchange, yes. Unless you have a circuit run to your house like a business would have, you do indeed need a landline connection.

And yes, the destination computer needs to be online. Unless as Day mentioned you use your VoIP account to call the PSTN network, but will cost you extra.

hyb

Reaction score
You can dial to and from with skype. Costs credit, but its pretty cheap really. Plus you can get skype to forward on calls if your not at your pc to a mobile. Or.... if you want a more permanent option, check out Vonage.
http://www.vonage.co.uk/infopage/