Air con not blowing cold

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hello all.

My ac was not working, so took it to the garage who diagnosed a leak in the system. They ordered and replaced some of the seals and then regarded the system, which is holding pressure well. The ac is “clicking” in when you press the button as I can hear it at the front of the car, but it’s still not getting cold - which is great when it’s 34 degrees outside!!

Any ideas what this could be? I read about it being a mixer, but the gears appear to be fine. Have also heard about an orifice valve?

Thanks in advance.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Could be a few things, the acutal A/C condenser would be the likeliest starting point for me, but do post up when you find out as the tracing process could be useful to others.

MC1

Reaction score
Hello all.

My ac was not working, so took it to the garage who diagnosed a leak in the system. They ordered and replaced some of the seals and then regarded the system, which is holding pressure well. The ac is “clicking” in when you press the button as I can hear it at the front of the car, but it’s still not getting cold - which is great when it’s 34 degrees outside!!

Any ideas what this could be? I read about it being a mixer, but the gears appear to be fine. Have also heard about an orifice valve?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rchamps81

Orifice valve can get blocked by debris in the system. However it’s not that common, it really needs diagnosing to see if there’s any fault with the gas pressure sender etc.
As it’s clicking however, that means the solenoid is engaging the a/c pulley and so gas pressure is good enough to allow this. A simple check is to feel the a/c pipes which after the condenser (in front of radiator) should be warm/hot. At the orifice valve you should have the “in” pipe warm and the “out” pipe cold. If out pipe not cold it ‘could’ be the orifice valve.
Any idea how much gas was used to refill it? Was the system vacuumed for at least 30 mins first?

Also how about the pollen filter - is it new? Mustn’t be clogged.

Have you tried recirculate setting? In this hot weather the heat/humidity is able to clog the evaporator (the cold matrix in the heater). Try on recirc. to use only the dry air inside the car to see if it goes cold after a minute or so.

If you’re close enough to me i’m happy to check it out for you - (Evesham, Worcs) [emoji6]

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks for the responses guys. I had a look at the pollen filter earlier and it looks fine, was almost like new. Also tried the recirculation setting and wasn't getting anywhere.

I'm having the car picked up by a mechanic later this morning so hopefully it will be diagnosed and fixed by the end of the week. It also failed MOT on needing the rear wheel bearings, so will have that taken care of, along with a couple of other little bits while it's with them.

Will update once I hear what the issue was!

Reactions: MC1