Reaction score
It might be worth trying some uprated 'bulbs' before going to the effort of changing the whole headlamp. It does make a difference.

Reaction score
mada88 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb Lamps not bulbs! Xenon Halogen Lamp not a bulb.
The entry interchanges between the use of both 'lamp' and 'bulb' throughout; thus surely either are valid? :-s

Reaction score
I just had the std Halogens fitted back in #146. While at the garage I checked the VOSA MOT definitions (section 1.2 or something like that) for headlamps and MOT.

There is no reference to Xenons and no reference to headlamp wash or self levelling. The tester was adamant he would pass a Clio Trophy with Xenons. His view of headlamp wash was - "As long as the lights are clean they would pass. You don't need wash as you can wipe them with a rag."

The headlamps have to be a matching set and aim correctly on the 0 setting.

Basically typical of two Gov't Depts not knowing what the other is doing. So regardless of the DOT link, the car will pass.

I can assure you he would otherwise fail a car at the drop of a hat!

Reaction score
I think the issue of mot legality with not having self leveling or washer is getting confused with eu regs for new vehicle standards. That is, a new vehicle if fitted with gas discharge lights must also be fitted with self level and washers. The mot is only a safety check and so will only check what the uk ministry asks for. At the moment that is only beam pattern and the beam angle. So yes, I would expect my car to pass with gas discharge bulbs fitted in the original halogen lamp units as you will see the same pattern and angle.

A HID kit will come with the bulbs and a ballast box for each bulb to give you something like 40Kv.

I've been looking for a set myself and found a kit for under £90. Will find the page a post a link.

I'd be interested to know if all the people who say they are pointless and just blind on coming traffic have ever driven a car at night with Xenons? They are in a different league to even the best 12v bulbs! Especially this time of year!
:)

Reaction score
mada88 said:
Lamps not bulbs, bulbs grow in the garden ;) why would you want xenons anyway? You would just pigs people off blinding them at night.

^^^ :lol: sounds like and electricial/electronic person

Reaction score
To be honest i found the Trophys halogens with some Philips x-Treme power bulbs (what 007 has now) to be significantly more effective than the xenons on the FF182 i owned before hand. The xenons are good, up to a point, then it's just pitch blackness and i found myself needing to use main beam almost everywhere i went, though now i rarely have to use it.

However, if it is more for cosmetic purposes that you want xenons then fair enough, but for the money i wouldnt bother.

Reaction score
You might find these illuminating. If you are worried about being able to see just be done with it...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ ... =HEL800031

Personally I have always just removed the standard light bulb from the lamp housing and stuck 2x 100w in. Combined with the fog lights, if it's really merky, you can see well.

No one should be pushing quickly enough to have to be worried about not being able to see well enough on the public roads; I find with 2x 100w the Trophy's headlamps work well. The bulbs are a buffalo to change though, particularly when trying to avoid leaving finger prints on them.

During a British winter clean lights are a must. A rag/paper towel/loo roll can make all the difference, particulalry after an hours driving.

As for the lamp and bulb debate, it's all down to the semantics fellas, you decide:

Oxford English Dictionary

light bulb

• noun a glass bulb containing inert gas, fitted into a lamp or ceiling socket, which provides light when an electric current is passed through it.

lamp

• noun 1 an electric, oil, or gas device for giving light. 2 an electrical device producing ultraviolet or other radiation, especially for therapeutic purposes.

— ORIGIN Greek lampas ‘torch’.