Reaction score
:roll: well we all no thats b*llocks :lol:
I'm thinking matey cant afford a trophy and is a bit pissed hes got to settle with a cup, which could b worse.

Alex

Reaction score
Does anyone really know...

...does anyone really care...

...is anyone really bothered :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tried both, the 182 is a nicer car, no doubt. But if you want a nice car buy a Focus. I dont, so I bought a Trophy :wink:

Day

Reaction score
I remember when us 172 owners gave abuse to the new 182 "wheel barrow" owners... all harmless fun...

I'm sure you give the 197 boys greif too :lol:

Lee

Reaction score
The comment about the Cup is pretty fair. It's certainly a better drive than most of the range. The Trophy and Cup do handle very similar. The Trophy generates better grip and traction but I'd still put money on a Cup changing direction better. That weight loss really is noticable.

Reaction score
Lee said:
The comment about the Cup is pretty fair. It's certainly a better drive than most of the range. The Trophy and Cup do handle very similar. The Trophy generates better grip and traction but I'd still put money on a Cup changing direction better. That weight loss really is noticable.

I thought the Cup and the Trophy were almost identical in weight?

Reaction score
Wires are being crossed here. The 172 Cup is a fair bit lighter than the Trophy, it weighs 1011kg due to it having no ABS, TC, Air con of any description and thinner glass and aluminium bonnet. 182 Cup is about the same (heavier wheels and unsprung weight though), Cup packed 182 (This is what most people call a 182 Cup because they are stupid) is about 35kg heavier, at 1110kg compared with 1075kg for the Trophy.

Comparing the straight line performance of any of the 172/182's is pretty pointless, they're all going to get to 100mph in between 17 and 18 seconds, it's the handling of the cars that differs and anyone who knows anything about Renaultsports knows the Trophy is best in this department, even better than the lighter 172 Cup because it's firmer, has less roll and has a better set-up for UK roads. Even the die-hard 'Real Cup' owners acknowledge that the Trophy is the best handling as standard. No-one really cares though because it doesn't take much to make a 172 Cup a lot stiffer and quicker around a track than a standard Trophy.

Reaction score
lol at the thread, it shouldn't but it does anny me. Mainly jealousy and disbelief! There is no winning against people like this, you will never make them believe what they want to (and already do) believe.

oh well, most members on cliosport have valvers anyway :lol:

Reaction score
I rate the trophy very highly myself....one of the best 182 models :)

I have never felt happy on CS cos i don't own a RS doesn't i'm not interested in getting one (badly)

Lee

Reaction score
Cue said:
by Cup do you mean 172 cup? as the Trophy is a 182 cup with better bits on it.

172 Cup. The 182 Cup is just a cheaper 182, nothing special. If someone refers to a Cup there's only one in my mind, the 172 Cup. A serious drivers hot hatch.

The 172 Cup was something special in terms of how it handles.

Trophy owners need to get over themselves at times and realise that the Cup is up there with the Trophy in all aspects accept exclusivity.

Drive a 172 Cup for a while and you'll soon realise that weight difference can be felt.

Some of the comments on CS are obviously by people who can't afford a Trophy or had to settle for a normal 182 when they would have prefered a Trophy, but not everyone on there thinks that way.

Reaction score
[quote

Trophy owners need to get over themselves at times and realise that the Cup is up there with the Trophy in all aspects accept exclusivity.

Drive a 172 Cup for a while and you'll soon realise that weight difference can be felt.

Some of the comments on CS are obviously by people who can't afford a Trophy or had to settle for a normal 182 when they would have prefered a Trophy, but not everyone on there thinks that way.[/quote]

Sorry can't resist so,

Err............ I must disagree. I have had both. The handling alone on the Trophy is superior, I can do things in the Trophy I believe I couldn't in the 172cup. But you will NEVER be able to quantify these things, it's just opinion.
I've had some pretty hairy moments in a 172cup, which have not happened in the Trophy because its suspension/tyre combination obviously provides better grip and control (it's not a marketing con!).
Excuse me while I go get over myself? :roll: I have never put anyone else's car down, it's their perogative to own whatever they choose.

They're all great cars, it's childish sometimes so i agree with the comments about some people on CS just being unreasonable as they can't/didin't want to pay the premium for a Trophy. :D

Reaction score
Lee said:
Cue said:
by Cup do you mean 172 cup? as the Trophy is a 182 cup with better bits on it.

172 Cup. The 182 Cup is just a cheaper 182, nothing special. If someone refers to a Cup there's only one in my mind, the 172 Cup. A serious drivers hot hatch.

The 172 Cup was something special in terms of how it handles.

Some of the comments on CS are obviously by people who can't afford a Trophy or had to settle for a normal 182 when they would have prefered a Trophy, but not everyone on there thinks that way.

so some of them put the trophy down just because they cannot afford it? Thats very pathetic.....im not going to go around saying a ferrari f430 will not outhandle my trophy on this corner and that corner so therefore its a waste of money.

and in regards to the trophy vs 172 cup argument the trophy is without a doubt above the cup in terms of handling...and bare in mind i have a friend with a mk1 172, mk2 172, 182 with cup packs, v6 mk1, and 2 172 cups...and my brother owned 1 of the first 172 cups in the country.....and none of them can be chucked about at the same level as the trophy as standard. And are all the magazines wrong too? For me the special clio sports are the 172 cup, the v6 and the trophy!

but straight line...nothing in it with any clio sport model.

Im not going to slag off any clio sport model, they are all great and all heaps of fun and if it wasn't for them the trophy wouldn't be so good. But the trophy does have the edge...after all that is the whole point of it!

Lee

Reaction score
Why would I put the Trophy down? I own one. First one on the road after the press...007. I just think sometimes people on one car forums, or even one make forums, get very short sighted about the car they drive.

All I'm saying is the 172 Cup is a better car than some of you guys are giving it credit.

Yes, Renault really pushed the boat out with the Trophy, but they did to a degree with the Cup. How many manufacturers do you know strip out sound deadening material to reduce weight like that? Removing ABS was a pretty big gamble for a mainstream car manufacturer to make on a model such as the Clio, Renaultsport model or not.

The entire range is superb, I should know I've owned 3 Renaultsport Clios from new, but the Trophy and Cup noticeably better drivers cars.

I assume you've all done a fair few track days in all of these cars to be able to comment so knowledgably? There's no way you would be able to drive the car to it's limits on the road.

And are all the magazines wrong too?

Who mentioned magazines? Who questioned the Trophy was anything other than a fantastic car?

See what I mean, you lot go off on one as the slightest suggestion that there's other decent hot hatches out there. :lol:

Reaction score
Lee said:
Why would I put the Trophy down? I own one. First one on the road after the press...007. I just think sometimes people on one car forums, or even one make forums, get very short sighted about the car they drive.

All I'm saying is the 172 Cup is a better car than some of you guys are giving it credit.
Yes, Renault really pushed the boat out with the Trophy, but they did to a degree with the Cup. How many manufacturers do you know strip out sound deadening material to reduce weight like that? Removing ABS was a pretty big gamble for a mainstream car manufacturer to make on a model such as the Clio, Renaultsport model or not.

The entire range is superb, I should know I've owned 3 Renaultsport Clios from new, but the Trophy and Cup noticeably better drivers cars.

I assume you've all done a fair few track days in all of these cars to be able to comment so knowledgably? There's no way you would be able to drive the car to it's limits on the road.

And are all the magazines wrong too?

Who mentioned magazines? Who questioned the Trophy was anything other than a fantastic car?

See what I mean, you lot go off on one as the slightest suggestion that there's other decent hot hatches out there. :lol:

It seems 3 of us are in agreement then, and certainly not going off on one about the possibility that other great cars exist :lol: :wink: . I have a list as long as my arm of fantastic 'hot hatches i've had as toys. Myself & MattX2C I think agree. The 172cup was fantastic when it came out, it was the pinnacle, and remains one of the outstanding RS clios, but it has been surpassed by the Trophy. And again i'm speaking on behalf of another, but yes we have plenty of track experience and hence why we have various aftermarket parts on our cars. No handling mods on mine though!

Lee

Reaction score
Well said that man.

The only other car I've owned and enjoyed as much as the Trophy was my 306 GTi-6. Another hot hatch benchmark.

I'd not be swapping the Trophy if it weren't for the fact I like new cars, warranty and do far to many miles to make keeping it sensible. It looks like I'm keeping it until March next year now though. :D

Reaction score
well it seems a peaceful end to the argument is among us :lol:

not once have i said the 172 cup is a bad car...it is incredible and like you say to pull off the risk that it did was amazing. It is a hell of a car and does stand out above the rest of the models...except the trophy :wink: :lol:

i think they realised the risk paid off with the 172 cup and learned from it and did it in the trophy...but slightly different...they took some weight out, kept it more road friendly, but then went all out with the sachs units.

Top marks to renault for always being at/around the head and forefront of the hot hatch league since the williams really!

Lee

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
well it seems a peaceful end to the argument is among us :lol:

not once have i said the 172 cup is a bad car...it is incredible and like you say to pull off the risk that it did was amazing. It is a hell of a car and does stand out above the rest of the models...except the trophy :wink: :lol:

i think they realised the risk paid off with the 172 cup and learned from it and did it in the trophy...but slightly different...they took some weight out, kept it more road friendly, but then went all out with the sachs units.

Top marks to renault for always being at/around the head and forefront of the hot hatch league since the williams really!

Amazing really. They've stuck with a tried and tested formula of an excellent chassis, light weight and good power to weight ratio. Everyone else has lost the plot with loads of power, weight and poor chassis.

Okay so the 197 doesn't quite fit that ethos 100%, but it still feels every bit a Renaultsport Clio when you drive it hard, it just takes a little more work to make it dance. :lol: