top mounts and bearings

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't have a 16mm drill bit or a vice or the ability to assemble the units with springs to check the fitment myself after modifying. It's booked into the garage for Monday to get the dampers fitted so I don't intend to muck about with something that was never a problem, I just wanted fresh parts while the dampers were getting changed and didn't think they'd be so unfit for purpose out the box.

When you say original top covers with nuts...are they one piece items with an integrated nut?

Affirmative.

I would guess the garage has a vice and a drill bit though,

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’m a bit lost with this and I’m starting to question if I even have the correct top nuts 🥜 - I have genuine Renault’s top mounts fitted but can someone tell me what the nut is -

View attachment 33647

If the nut pictured is a separate item from the top cap, it is from the updated modification kit 543A09780R.

It should not make contact with the top of the turret if everything is assembled correctly.

Attachments

• MODIFIED TOP CAP RH.jpg
    MODIFIED TOP CAP RH.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks, if anyone wants to back that up please go ahead.

For what it's worth the bearings definitely want to fit nicely in that way, they're on the tight side the other way.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Patrick, as you say the thrust bearing sits easier with the flat side sitting on top the spring plate.

Nick, yours is different again to the version in my pic, which is the original. You have the bearing that sits on the spring plate, then the doughnut sits on that. The brass insert then slides inside the doughnut and the whole assembly is then secured to the damper with that little ring nut. The “top hat?” Is then screwed onto the damper end once it is raised through the turret.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Can someone just confirm the correct orientation of the thrust bearing please?-

View attachment 33661View attachment 33662
NEITHER.

The doughnut is NOT part of the assembled strut, and frequently remains in the underside of the turret when removing said strut.

Please read post 35 again.

The correct order is spring cap, then the bearing with the numbers out of sight against the spring cap, followed by which ever 14mm thread size spacer and nut ( old style ), or 1 piece spacer nut ( new style ) is being used.

This is so the bearing is not preloaded.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Attachments

• MODIFIED 8200867250 27mm nut spacer.png
    MODIFIED 8200867250 27mm nut spacer.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Trophy No.
NEITHER.

The doughnut is NOT part of the assembled strut, and frequently remains in the underside of the turret when removing said strut.

Please read post 35 again.

The correct order is spring cap, then the bearing with the numbers out of sight against the spring cap, followed by which ever 14mm thread size spacer and nut ( old style ), or 1 piece spacer nut ( new style ) is being used.

This is so the bearing is not preloaded.

Always open to be corrected but are you sure about the doughnut not being part of the assembly?IMG_0788.png

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Always open to be corrected but are you sure about the doughnut not being part of the assembly?View attachment 33669
Totally.

Just consider it in terms that the doughnut is part of the bodyshell, and that bodyshell just rests on the bearing.

Once the top cap is removed, the whole strut usually drops out, leaving the doughnut in place in the turret.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Totally.

Just consider it in terms that the doughnut is part of the bodyshell, and that bodyshell just rests on the bearing.

Once the top cap is removed, the whole strut usually drops out, leaving the doughnut in place in the turret.

”Doughnut” are we talking about the same part.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not sure where the confusion is coming from here- either we must be talking about different things or all the exploded diagrams, every photo I've ever seen of a strut assembly in 10 years of ownership and that tutorial video hoolio has just posted are wrong...which seems unlikely.

Regardless of what you want to call them, one way or another the bearing goes between these two parts and it faces one of two ways, which was my query-

strut.PNG

Post 35 describes the order of the diagrams so can only assume there's a mix-up in terminology-

Preassemble the shock, spring, spring cap, bearing, rubber cushion, and 27mm spacer nut, and offer the whole assembly up into the turret.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Not sure where the confusion is coming from here- either we must be talking about different things or all the exploded diagrams, every photo I've ever seen of a strut assembly in 10 years of ownership and that tutorial video hoolio has just posted are wrong...which seems unlikely.

Regardless of what you want to call them, one way or another the bearing goes between these two parts and it faces one of two ways, which was my query-

View attachment 33670

Post 35 describes the order of the diagrams so can only assume there's a mix-up in terminology-

Preassemble the shock, spring, spring cap, bearing, rubber cushion, and 27mm spacer nut, and offer the whole assembly up into the turret.

I agree.

I`m not sure how supposedly grown men can make something so simple, so difficult.

You pictured the bearing on the wrong side of the doughnut or rubber cushion or whatever you want to call it.

And you will not need spring clamps either.