top mounts and bearings

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
If anybody is after a pair of these nut/spacers I'm sure I have a pair, brand new,, there yours for £20 posted. Just let me check tonight when I get home....

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I gave you the answer to that in post 10 of this thread, though you will likely have to remove some threads from the nut, as I had too with the

OE nuts that RPD supplied to me, to prevent them becoming thread bound before contacting the bearing .

Alternatively, you could chance your luck with the original configuration Febi kits I listed in post 17.

You have to bear in mind that Renault do not manufacture any components, and build their vehicles by bolting together parts

from their suppliers.

When these are repackaged as OE parts, they are sold with eye watering margins.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
The autodoc link from your old post 10 has SNR items, are they a known good brand?

Don't think I've heard of them myself.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The autodoc link from your old post 10 has SNR items, are they a known good brand?

Don't think I've heard of them myself.

SNR are Renaults preferred bearing manufacturer of choice.

Renault have now killed the bearing 8200651172, and only supply a complete kit.

If you only need to replace a worn bearing, which is common to both configurations, this is the item.

Feel free to find a better price.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Feel free to find a better price.

I'm personally not a fan of Autodoc after an experience with them swapping out ordered parts for their (lower quality but the same price??) "alternatives".

Wouldn't use them at all now myself after that kind of nonsense.

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm personally not a fan of Autodoc after an experience with them swapping out ordered parts for their (lower quality but the same price??) "alternatives".

Wouldn't use them at all now myself after that kind of nonsense.
Strangely, I had the opposite experience.

I ordered the cheapest rear tailgate struts they listed, and they substituted with more expensive items at the same price.

Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've ordered the SNR kit from autodoc so will see how it goes. I've had good experiences with autodoc so far, delivery is never the quickest but it all comes from Germany so understandable.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Both top mount kits turned up today from autodoc including the new spacer nut. Renault want £21.82 just for the nut and the SNR kit cost £15.64 with the nut.
It's taken 7 days but I'm happy

Attachments

• 20240429_175747.jpg
    20240429_175747.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine have also arrived...anyone fancy having a stab at making sense of this or is it ultimately a shite part as I'm finding out with some cliosport forum threads on the topic?

Black ink is where the spacer nut bottoms out on the rod.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    564.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2536.jpeg
    IMG_2536.jpeg
    574.6 KB · Views: 11

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine have also arrived...anyone fancy having a stab at making sense of this or is it ultimately a shite part as I'm finding out with some cliosport forum threads on the topic?

Black ink is where the spacer nut bottoms out on the rod.

The new 27mm nut replaces the original spacer and 17mm half nut ( spanner sizes ).

Put the original spacer and nut to one side as they are no longer required.

Renault originally got the design of the 27mm item wrong, and these are faithfull copies of that item.

Using a 16mm drill bit, remove sufficient threads from inside the new 27mm item to allow it to clamp down on the bearing.

Check this before fitting to the car, and make sure the bearing is the right way up with the outer casing contacting with the spring cap.

Preassemble the shock, spring, spring cap, bearing, rubber cushion, and 27mm spacer nut, and offer the whole assembly up into the turret.

I think it was fully covered by this cliosport thread.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers for the response but I should have paid more attention to your comments in post 24 of the thread, what a pain in the ass.

I'll just use the original spacer and half nut if this is what's required to make the new spacer/nut work. I don't have the time, inclination or the tools to muck about with this.

I trust the other parts in this kit are unchanged and it was only the spacer and the half nut that were changed?

Oracle

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers for the response but I should have paid more attention to your comments in post 24 of the thread, what a pain in the ass.

I'll just use the original spacer and half nut if this is what's required to make the new spacer/nut work. I don't have the time, inclination or the tools to muck about with this.

I trust the other parts in this kit are unchanged and it was only the spacer and the half nut that were changed?

You will have to use the original top covers with nuts to fit over the 17mm half nut.

The new ones are flat bottomed.

If you have a drill and a 16mm drill bit, modification should take 5 seconds per side.

Attachments

• topmounts Old style.jpg
    topmounts Old style.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't have a 16mm drill bit or a vice or the ability to assemble the units with springs to check the fitment myself after modifying. It's booked into the garage for Monday to get the dampers fitted so I don't intend to muck about with something that was never a problem, I just wanted fresh parts while the dampers were getting changed and didn't think they'd be so unfit for purpose out the box.

When you say original top covers with nuts...are they one piece items with an integrated nut?

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’m a bit lost with this and I’m starting to question if I even have the correct top nuts 🥜 - I have genuine Renault’s top mounts fitted but can someone tell me what the nut is -

IMG_2306.jpeg