Reaction score
I have been thinking about chucking the trophy in for something more fun, getting a bit bored. Im mainly looking at the bargain monaro vxr's that have just come on the market maybe even a 500 version but im a bit worried i may wish i hadnt bothered. Want something with a bit more grunt and a decent sounding engine. I like the go kart handling of the trophy which i would miss in the summer im sure. I also think maybe i should get one of the bargain vx220 turbos that have just come on the market but bit worried about practicality and safety with this car. I feel i need a change but not sure what to do :?

Reaction score
I think the Monaro would be a different type of fun to the Trophy - it certainly couldn't be chucked around in the same way although the RWD would add a dimension the Trophy doesn't have.

The VX220 will be much more similar to the Trophy, although again with the bonus of RWD. Obviously it lacks the practicality of the Clio but the safety aspect wouldn't worry me too much - the Elise/VX are tough little cars even if they don't have the ESP/Wall to wall airbags/soft touch everything features of a modern mass produced car.

Reaction score
yeah i know they are both different cars, im a bit worried about too much power, it would be easy to have a bad accident just from putting foot down too much, as powerful asthe trophy is i never have a problem of too much power or loss of control, i know it will be different with a monaro. I overtake A LOT in the trophy and like the nippy handling that allows you to do this with ease. The vx220 will be a better drive when having fun but the monaro will be better on long trips i think. what would people move to next out of the two given a free choice and forgetting money and insurance? bare in mind im only gonna keep one car all year.

Reaction score
Go down the VX / Elise route while you're still young enough to get in and out of one and put up with the lack of practicality :wink:

I'm biased, because I have an Elise. You have to work harder behind the wheel to extract the speed from it - the Clio is a doddle to drive in comparison - but the rewards are greater.

tbh I think I'd get fed up with the Monaro's thirst within a couple of weeks. It's not like you're going to be driving the thing sideways everywhere like you see on Top Gear so I don't really see the point of them, just another big, heavy barge of a car.

Reaction score
What are the bargain vx220 that have just come on the market? Are these the ones that were supposedly left in a field unsold?

Monaro is such a boring car. If you want something pointy and direct like a trophy with a load of power get an evo ix.

Reaction score
richyboy123 said:
What are the bargain vx220 that have just come on the market? Are these the ones that were supposedly left in a field unsold?

Monaro is such a boring car. If you want something pointy and direct like a trophy with a load of power get an evo ix.

evo is high maintenance though. yeah they are left overs but prob best option in terms of depreciation and insurance. Apparently you can get 23mpg quite easy in the monaro so its not that bad! maybe keep the exige and trophy until the summer. sell the trophy in the spring and maybe switch vx to monaro come autumn when its depreciated a bit. mmmmm. decisions decisions :?

Reaction score
TrophyBoy616 said:
richyboy123 said:

evo is high maintenance though. yeah they are left overs but prob best option in terms of depreciation and insurance. Apparently you can get 23mpg quite easy in the monaro so its not that bad! maybe keep the exige and trophy until the summer. sell the trophy in the spring and maybe switch vx to monaro come autumn when its depreciated a bit. mmmmm. decisions decisions :?

Where do you buy these last vx's? I noticed some are being offered by traders on autotrader but I would rather buy direct. Is it true if their not registered by the end of 2006 they will have to be destroyed as they don't meet regulations?

Reaction score
Monaro is an Australian taxi with 2 doors. Certainly not right for the UK - poor fuel consumption, heavy and will have dead brakes after remotely spirited drive. Too big to chuck round our small country lanes in confidence with a tendancy to break away. I've driven one (I used to live in Australia) and chose a 330ci over it.

VX is a great idea. But the Trophy has 5 seats and a decent boot, and is almost as much fun. I need the extra seats (family live overseas) so for me it was a no brainer. It's also proving to be a better value proposition (% value lost over the year).

Personally if I ever wanted something a bit more exciting but remaining as a daily driver then it would have to be a 911. Nothing else would match IMHO.

O.

Reaction score
Was going to reply to this but it's all been said. Can I just add that you'll be hard pushed to get more fun out of such a practical car? AND ONE THAT ALSO HAPPENS TO BE ONE OF THE BEST DRIVER'S CARS IN RECENT YEARS.

I would never buy a Vauxhall over a Mustang, get a Roush Mustang, same supercharged V8 delivery/noise but a much better car. VXR 500 is a performance bargain, if straight line stonk is what you consider performance. But won't you feel like a prize prick driving one? A supercharged Vauxhall?

Get an Exige if you want the ultimate driver's car on a budget, a porsche/ferrari if not, or an Evo/ Subaru if you seek ultimate track/B-road performance but don't care about being hated by all other road users and looking like you're having a crisis.

Or get a re-map and an Orbisoud and keep the ultimate real world driver's car but get a bit more poke and a motorsport soundtrack to back it up.

Reaction score
The point behind getting a vx is that they all now have to be registered so surely there are going to be some bargains and its a perfect car to go with my trophy. Exige and elise are far better cars but that wouldn't bother me if I got a vx for around £16,000 with not many miles.

Reaction score
The £16k VX220's you mention - are these ones that are a couple of years old?

Surely cant be the delivery mileage ones for that price? The cheapest i've seen is 18,995 for a pre reg with delivery miles. 16k would be an incredible price for a new VX220 Turbo!

Reaction score
Well if the rumours are true (probably not) and the market is flooded with a load of prereg cars then surely there are going to be bargains. Cheapest I have heard a prereg vxt go for from a vauxhall dealer was 18,995 in yellow a year ago, so surely a better deal is to be had now. The design is dated and low mileage exiges are around the low twenties, so there is no way a vxt is worth 19000 now.

Reaction score
did some one say an elise....
i sold an elise to buy my trophy....for the full strory see my entry in the owners register no.049
i would personally advise against unless you have a good second car...no matter how much you kid yourself the elise cant be used day to day...unless your a sad twa* with no life what so ever....

Reaction score
i took a test drive in an elise s and a 111r and cant say i was best pleased with the car!
it was raining so i didnt get a chance to take an exige s out :(

i dont understand why the elise costs so much money. the elise s costs 24k :O and it doesnt seem to drive any better than the trophy exceptit corners with a little less roll. The steering is heavy, seat and driving position uncomfortable, clunky gear box, heavy pedals, its noisy, has low visability and makes for bad spacial awareness. All i can say is it looks good :( was so glad when i got back in my trophy and drove away, suddenly felt what a great bargain i had and couldnt believe people pay 30k for a 111r or an exige, that is truly shocking, they are depreciating fast now there are loads in the market and im not suprised, it seems only reason they ever held value was because there was limited loyus elise and exige ever made and set number of people who wanted them. everyone who wants and can afford one has one but they keep making more, look for s2 exiges around 15k by end of year i think

Reaction score
Im sure you wont regret it! I dont think i will ever have the heart to sell mine...who knows

Reaction score
TrophyBoy616 said:
All i can say is it looks good :( was so glad when i got back in my trophy and drove away, suddenly felt what a great bargain i had and couldnt believe people pay 30k for a 111r or an exige, that is truly shocking, they are depreciating fast now there are loads in the market and im not suprised, it seems only reason they ever held value was because there was limited loyus elise and exige ever made and set number of people who wanted them. everyone who wants and can afford one has one but they keep making more, look for s2 exiges around 15k by end of year i think

Interesting heads up on Elise & Exige values. I think the prices will firm up spring and summer though when the cars appearing in the trade are a rarity.