Reaction score
Just recently my T has started making a few knocks and bangs, I have (what sounds like) the exhaust banging against the bumper when I go over any uneven road surface - but I don't think it is this due to the exhaust not moving much when you push it. Will have to investigate more!

But I was looking under the bonnet and was suprised to see the strut tops at differnt height?! the wheels were striaght and it was parking facing uphill on the drive.

The both have some slight camber on them (due to me having the camber set up) should they be the same height?

Its getting new ball joints and various other things done in the new year

nby

Reaction score
have you checked the shocks for any sign of leaking? reason I ask is that my top mounts were out and it was due to one damper leaking.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
How do you mean uneven height? it could be that the top part of one wasn't put together correctly or that maybe the rubber top mount has collapsed.

Reaction score
The gap from the rubber top mount to the body of the car. drivers side is higher? I'm thinking they haven't been put together correctly. The last place to have them apart were Revolution at newcastle fitting the springs.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have you tried rotating it, that top rubber part just screws on.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
You can see what i mean by this, i think. All the spring etc is held down by the small nut above the black "doughnut"

Attachments

• Dampers 002.jpg
    Dampers 002.jpg
    666.8 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
I will try and get a pic of the gap, other than that I will see if Birchdown can have a look when it goes to them in feb.

Oh an update on the rear banging noise........I 'think' it could be the exhaust, I had a look around the tailpipes ans I could see marks what looked like rubbing marks from the cut outs.

I wobbled the exhaust to see how easy it is to hit the cut out and its fairly hard to move. Might have to see if I can make the exhaust solid to see if it still does it

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ah yeah, I was trying to remember who else had this problem, they wouldn't screw down anymore more would they and then you fitted the STM's. (then took them off again :) )

Reaction score
Thats the one ben!! drivers side is like that and the passenger is near enough fully down!

Hoolio you have a Orb.....how do you stop it banging against the bumper? do your rubber mounts hold it in place good?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I do get some bashing when I'm really going some and throwing it around but generally the only banging i get is the low rev reverse which I think comes from the manifold area. But like i say it's not generally a problem.

Reaction score
BenG said:
You mean like this ??

37fc3d52.jpg

d1cc538a.jpg

Mine are like this. I assumed it is because I fitted the Mark Fish Springs. They change when you go from lock to lock as well.

Reaction score
just checked mine and they are also like this after fitting the MF springs...

doesnt make a difference to driving to me?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have the standard springs. It happened to mine when I had the geometry setup and more -ve camber added.

Reaction score
Ben have you got pics of both sides?? going to undo the strut tops and have a look to see if they have been fitted correctly

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No just got the pic of one side. Feel free to pop round and have a look if you want.

Chances are they will be fitted properly, they are just crap mounts, do you have more -ve camber than standard?
I think its just that they need replacing, You see even though they are tightened all the way down they still dont meet the turrent, that must mean the bottom part of the mount is worn, or something is missing. ?

Reaction score
yeah might have a call round one evening - working lates at the mo though :-(

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Im working 4 til Midnight this week anyways.