Reaction score
The Clio 197/200 wheel is a bit better, still not exactly the best wheel design about compared to say just about and VAG product or the 500 Abarth, and it still melts like the 172/182 wheels as they still use the same dodgy fake leather covering on them.

So all you are doing is replacing like for like in terms of durability, and without being 100% sure that the air-bag will work in the event of an accident, you could in fact invalidate your insurance by fitting a wheel with a different untested air-bag, same as replacing with aftermarket you need to tell the insurance company to keep yourself right.

I got my wheel recovered in high quality real leather and the wheel is a pleasure to feel and use now. Not everyones cup of tea, but I believe function follows form and wheel does what i want it to do, feel good, and not melt or fall apart.

Mine was done by Gibson Trimming and cost £175, I put the details in the thread when I first got the wheel done, but it comes up on Google.

032810011.jpg

Reaction score
That does look superb; whether or not I could find someone here to do a job like that I'm not sure.

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
That does look superb; whether or not I could find someone here to do a job like that I'm not sure.
You can I think - one is near Bayonne, the other, probably even better is in Spain (and cheaper) ... problem is the delay ...

Reaction score
Retrim it is - should be about £50 or there abouts.

The Megane wheel will fit ish, but the connectors are not the same, so you won't manage to get the airbag and cruise to work, and if you do (by changing connectors on either part) the insurance will be void ...

Reaction score
J- £50 ish here somewhere? If you know someone who can do it then the beer/ wine is on me :)

Reaction score
Gregs said:
Good stuff. I'm just looking into as my steering wheel has had better days! I got a quote for retrimming, £220 in leather , £260 in suede! Not really sure how that stacks up against a new or different wheel?!
Somebody's taking the piss here, my father had his 348 wheel retrimmed in suede a few years back, cost him £50 - was in York too - get some more quotes.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Tinker said:
Gregs said:
Good stuff. I'm just looking into as my steering wheel has had better days! I got a quote for retrimming, £220 in leather , £260 in suede! Not really sure how that stacks up against a new or different wheel?!
Somebody's taking the pigs here, my father had his 348 wheel retrimmed in suede a few years back, cost him £50 - was in York too - get some more quotes.

where in York mate?

Reaction score
That MOMO 'Race' steering wheel is same wheel I had fitted to my R5GTT about 15years ago, was still on it when it was sold by my friend about 4 years ago, and was still in excellent condition.

I love the MOMO 'Corse' wheel as fitted to my integrale, came as standard in EVO2's, though no longer available the MOMO 'Tuner' is 99% the same steering wheel.

I also had a beautiful optional extra MOMO in my Celica GT4, no spearate boss like aftermakret wheels, really nice to use and only celica I ever saw with it. Emma''s FTO also comes with a MOMO air-bag steering wheel as standard (same as EVO4-6), and although fairly big, about same as Clio wheel in diameter, it's very nice to use.

But although I do like a nice MOMO wheel, I love the feel of my retrimmed steering wheel, and it retains the air-bag and cruise control functions and cost about the same as a MOMO wheel and boss, if not a little cheaper to do. And i know it will never melt, or fall apart like the original coverings do.