Reaction score
The dampers on no. 461 lasted to 170k before needing a refurb ... they were f*cked though lol, leaking all over the place!!

Reaction score
My car hasn't done many more miles than yours (I'm referring to is1 not Sir_Dave! :D ) but after they were inspected by BG it was confirmed that the n/s damper was shot. The handling had detoriated and my only regret is not getting them checked out sooner. I don't believe the dampers need to be serviced by the number of miles covered but it's more an age thing (like a cambelt I guess).

G

is1 said:
What do we mean by "the corkscrewing action through the steering"?
Mine seems to handle perfectly well at 16,000 miles but I've not had the car since new to compare againt "as new" handling.
Would this "corkscrewing" effect be quite obvious?
You'll know if your car has a failed damper (or dampers), I can assure you that! The handling on mine was so bad I would have described it as being almost dangerous. It displayed a 'wobble' in a straight line across slightly lumpy sections of tarmac (a soft wobble in the steering rather than a vibration like an imbalanced wheel etc.) Through bumpy corners a 'corkscrewing' motion is probably the best description of it I could think of. It's as if there's twist in the steering column. Quite un-nerving and you'll be outpaced by anything this side of a Reliant Robin. :lol:

On the upside, Ben from BG Motorsport contacted me today to say mine are all done and will be back tomorrow (and to take some of my money :lol:). He said that the nitrogen gas had leaked from the passenger side one, meaning the oil was stuck in the reservoir and not in the damper itself. This meant there was almost no damping action, but also why there were no visible leaks - the oil was still in there, it just couldn't move! Also shows the whole '10mm gap' and / or 'oil everywhere' thing as being the only time your dampers need doing to be untrue.

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a quandary over my dampers. My Trophy has done 38k and there are no visible leaks but for some reason I just don't think the car feels as sure footed as it should. I don't have an awful lot of confidence carrying speed into corners but can't put my finger on anything specific. I guess I should just go ahead, bit the bullet, and get them done. Car will be off the road and garaged over winter so its a perfect time to send off the dampers despite the cost which I'm not looking forward to. :(

Are BG Motorsport the best option? Car is up in Aberdeenshire so I imagine the courier would be pretty expensive as well. Should I just contact the guy to discuss? I want it done properly but also keen to not pay the earth!

Cheers

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I would recommend BG. Great service and speedy turnaround time. Plus you have the peace of mind they are an approved Sach service center.

Reaction score
Just had my dampers redone at BG - have not got them back yet so can't comment on difference, but a BIG thumbs up on the service so far =D>

Cam

Reaction score
Looks like a trophy meet at bg motorsport as we queue to get dampers sorted. I've contacted to get mine done. Out of interest does anyone know the cost of new sachs dampers plus fitting. Since buying a trophy all I heard about was the cost of dampers but never known the figure. Was even considering putting regular 182 dampers on mine to save money but will now refurb

Cheers you should get a comission !

Reaction score
Cam said:
Out of interest does anyone know the cost of new sachs dampers plus fitting.

I paid £600 at BG. That was 2x refurb and removal/fitting. I had driven too much on my leaking one which in turn did a little extra damage to the inside of it, but he said that it wasn't the worst he had seen! Dropped the car off at 8am and got it back the next day at lunch time.

Reaction score
Finally, mine are off to BG for a refurb; drivers side dead, the other ... Not so bad. Now, lowered springs or not?????

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Matt @ Stealthsport is still providing this service? I've emailed and PM'd him several times now but he's never got back to me.

Cheers,

Rhod

Reaction score
Had a similar problem, sent them to BG in the end, great service quick turnaround, transformed car! :D

Reaction score
Had mine done last time at bg

Does anyone else offer this service at a more competative price ?

Leigh

is1

Reaction score
Sir Dave has mentioned Gould Engineering in Newbury but I have not used them.
Not sure if Sir Dave knows someone there but he seemed happy and I believe from a previous post, it was way less (around £300 less).

Reaction score
The only Gould Engineering I could find were this lot:
http://www.gould-racing.co.uk/

I emailed them and they said they don't refurb dampers.
Can anyone who mentioned them shed a bit of light on the situation at all?

Reaction score
There is a full suspension set on Ebay at the moment , does anybody know if these will fit directly on to a standard phase 2 172 please? He's asking £400 , does that seem right ? Thanks

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
Suggest you pm sir dave.

At a guess then, it was either a private job done by one of the engineers, or the previous owner of my Trophy lied to me lol ...

Either way, the dampers have been refurbed, MOT failure at 170k due to leakage, so they were redone at that point. I've had them off the car numerous times & they are in exactly the same condition as the ones that were done at BG.

So, in affect, if Gould didnt do them, i have no idea who did lol.

Rhod_399 said:
Does anyone know if Matt @ Stealthsport is still providing this service? I've emailed and PM'd him several times now but he's never got back to me.

He's disappeared off the edge of the earth it would seem, owing xSport money (where he rented his unit) and taking my spare gearbox with him.

Reaction score
SD, in an earlier post you quoted a price for Gould, if they now don't refurb them and you are relying on the word of the prev owner, how do you know it's correct, and thus cheaper than BG ??

p.s. bummer about your spare box!!

is1

Reaction score
There must be some other motorsport-prep type company that can do it. It's only a shock absorber and Sachs are one of the largest suppliers in the world!
I wonder if the likes of Mark Fish might know of somewhere?