Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
On Sunday I will be reomoving my dampers ready for their trip up north to BG Motorsport. I've been searching the forum but haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

Does anyone know the socket sizes I will need? The one on the top of the strut looks big, plus does anyone know what I should torque them up to when putting back on the car?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Renaultsport said:
On Sunday I will be reomoving my dampers ready for their trip up north to BG Motorsport. I've been searching the forum but haven't found the answer I'm looking for.

Does anyone know the socket sizes I will need? The one on the top of the strut looks big, plus does anyone know what I should torque them up to when putting back on the car?

I think it was a 22 or 21mm and you need a ring spanner so you can get the allen key in. I had huge problems with this and ended up using an electric jack hammer, which is like an air gun. As the nuts where so tight.

See this thread for details:
http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9012&p=79373&hilit=damper+removal#p79373
Clio sport removal guide:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthre ... suspension

Personally I would take your car down to somewhere with an air gun and get them to loosen the nuts for you first. As its a right pain, dont get stuck on a Sunday like I did and no where is open and you need to send the dampers away!

Reaction score
Renaultsport said:

I am confused as to what you mean by I haven't found the answers I am looking for?

My company is based in Hampshire and so is the company who refurbishes the dampers I use so feel free to get in contact if you like.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Gazza said:
Renaultsport said:

I think it was a 22 or 21mm and you need a ring spanner so you can get the allen key in. I had huge problems with this and ended up using an electric jack hammer, which is like an air gun. As the nuts where so tight.

See this thread for details:
http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9012&p=79373&hilit=damper+removal#p79373
Clio sport removal guide:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthre ... suspension

Personally I would take your car down to somewhere with an air gun and get them to loosen the nuts for you first. As its a right pain, dont get stuck on a Sunday like I did and no where is open and you need to send the dampers away!

Thanks, got everything undone without too much of an issue, needed a breaker bar to get the bolts off though but I won in the end! :) I bought some new bolts to replace when I put it back together tonight, as the dampers should be with me today (BTW - Ben @ BG is a legend! Managed to get my dampers done on the day he should have started work on them).

Looked through the links you provided and can't seem to find the torque settings for putting it all back together again :(

Reaction score
stealthsport.co.uk said:
Morning all

Just a quick update I will testing the refurbished Sachs and some new development parts next week at the Renaultsport trackday which is on the 4th of August at Silverstrone, so will post up some pics and let you know how I get on.

If anyone is local feel free to pop along for a chat and maybe even a passenger ride ;)

So any update on this then???

It's now the 18th and still no pics or update? [-X

Reaction score
I've just got mine back from BG. Also fitted MF stuff with a set up from Mark himself. Fuck me, what a difference. Car was great before now it's simply amazing. What the car will take and now and how it can attack corners is staggering.

Reaction score
wigstar1 said:
stealthsport.co.uk said:
Morning all

Just a quick update I will testing the refurbished Sachs and some new development parts next week at the Renaultsport trackday which is on the 4th of August at Silverstrone, so will post up some pics and let you know how I get on.

If anyone is local feel free to pop along for a chat and maybe even a passenger ride ;)

So any update on this then???

It's now the 18th and still no pics or update? [-X

Apologies for the delay and here is a pic of me testing the new setup on the Renaultsport Trackday at Silverstone:

_ZZY7321.jpg

The car was running my refurbished Sachs dampers, Eibach Sportlines, Stealthsport rear Koni dampers and our custom camber shims and setup. Tyre wise we were running Toyo R-1R's as they have proved to be very good all round both for everyday use and trackdays.

If you require any further information about the parts we can supply or some advice please email matt@stealthsport.co.uk :)

Reaction score
Well, that is it, my dampers need rebuilding - PITA as was wanting the car to go to Barcelona :roll:

Bouncing up and down the road is no fun -

Anyway, a K-Tec order is also on the cards for some camber bolts and solid top mounts (might as well, as all is off!) - might paint the calipers too (and put some new tyres on front)

Christ this is going to get expensive, but I have such fun in the thing :mrgreen:

Reaction score
When sending them off to rebuilt, when they send them back, what else needs to be changed? I want to keep the car standard and dont want to purchase stuff that i dont need.

Booked in for the 23rd Sept!

G

Bad news, folks...

My dampers are being refurbished next week and there are no visual sings of anything untoward with them. The passenger side one is completely knackered (no pressure at all), although the driver's side one is okay at the moment. There are no signs of any oil and the 10mm gap is still very much present and correct, yet the shock still failed a pressure test and the car handles worse than awful. I would actually go so far as to say the corkscrewing action through the steering is almost dangerous, to be honest. Ah well, off to BG Motorsport they go - I just guess you have to accept in owning a Trophy that every five years or so you have to spend £500 on a refurb! The car has covered just 12,000 miles too - has anyone had a shock go before this?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think mine are beginning to deteriorate at 11.5, may fit my spares to see how they compare.

G

They're at BG Motorsport at the moment - I'll report back when they're back on and I have the car back. Really looking forward to it - should be like a new car!

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
BoroGTI said:
Gregs said:
Nice one Steve! How often do people recommend they get serviced?
if they aren't leaking then they're fine

I found this wasn't the case. Mine had no signs of leaking and the 5mm gap was still there but the car started to handle poorly. After the refurb the car handles a lot better now (although it's not quite as it was when new, I'm trying to find the case for this).

BG said one of the dampers was starting to leak oil into the gas chamber.

Reaction score
After the refurb at BG my car handles better than ever! A big thanks to Ben @ BG Motorsport Ltd

is1

Reaction score
What do we mean by "the corkscrewing action through the steering"?
Mine seems to handle perfectly well at 16,000 miles but I've not had the car since new to compare againt "as new" handling.
Would this "corkscrewing" effect be quite obvious?