Reaction score
Going to book in the T at RS Murray some time later this month / early next month for her belts.
Is there anything else i should get done while I'm there? The car is on 24000m
Only possiblities i can think of are water pump and dephaser pulley?

Thanks,
Wayne

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
I changed my plugs at the same time

Good call.........

I got my cambelt down back in June, the next day the car started mis-firing....
Got the garage to check it out, No. 3 had some hair line cracks in it !!!! though my bill was £140 at the end of day (£17 per plug)

Worth doing, even though Renault says 72,000 miles MMMMmm me thinks not !

Chris

Reaction score
I changed my plugs yesterday at 37k miles...seriously nothing wrong with the olds...only very slight wear, so would be good for 72k without a doubt in mind.

24k miles sounds very low to be changing all the belts. Do you go on track at all? If it's just on the road it seems like a waste of money imo.

Reaction score
I had all belts done at 26k as they have rubber content which hardens with time making more prone to snapping hence why all manufacturers state a time limit as well as mileage.

My integrale belts were done at 3 years old after only 5klms had been covered, way cheaper than 2k to fix the head should it snap & bend sone very expensive sodium filled valves!

Old tyres are the same blooming rock hard with no grip hence why any tyres at/over 5 years old should be replaced no matter how much tread they have left.

Reaction score
24k miles sounds very low to be changing all the belts. Do you go on track at all? If it's just on the road it seems like a waste of money imo.[/quote]

Nothing to do with track or road, 3 years aux belt change, 5 year cam belt change (or mileage if sooner) - Ignore this at your peril!!!

Oh, and miss this key service item and never sell the car for anything near the right money - ever!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
changed my plugs yesterday at 37k miles...seriously nothing wrong with the olds...only very slight wear, so would be good for 72k without a doubt in mind.

I had mine changed at around 42K and they looked good for another 30K. I had the gear box oil changed too and that didnt look too bad either.

Reaction score
i too was wondering what to do regarding the cambelt service this year and whether to change anything else.

last year i had a big service down at ren-tech and amongst other bits changed the aux belt(kit).

after reading this thread and other posts regarding the cambelt service i was a bit confused.so thought i would ring ren-tech and ask their advice ask they serviced the T last year.

mike was saying not to bother changing the water pump as they rarely fail and said to change just the aux belt-not kit a long with the cam belt.

they are running two options at the minute and have a special offer for non renault parts to change both belts @ £335 or change both belts with genuine renault parts for £426.

something to consider maybe esp for those trying to stick to a budget.

ill probabaly take mikes advice and not change the water pump but do both aux belt and cam belt.

Reaction score
I just had mine done and as well as the Cambelt / Pulleys / Aux Belt / Plugs I asked to have the Dephaser pulley changed also.

The Dephaser pulley basically handles the variable valve side of things. I have a mate who'se Dephaser needed replacing recently and he was cursing not having changed it at the same time.

I did ask about the waterpump also but again was told they very rarely fail.

Reaction score
doing a cambelt before 40k is a waste of time! unless their is visable wear it doesent need doing, yes i know its cheaper than replacing an engine if it does snap but the actual chances of a belt snapping at them miles is nothing

Reaction score
Completely disagree. Had mine almost 5yrs. Plan on keeping it another 5. So i'm getting mine done. It's on 26k. If i leave it to 40k it would be 8yrs old :lol:

Reaction score
eljeffo64 said:
24k miles sounds very low to be changing all the belts. Do you go on track at all? If it's just on the road it seems like a waste of money imo.

Nothing to do with track or road, 3 years aux belt change, 5 year cam belt change (or mileage if sooner) - Ignore this at your peril!!!

Oh, and miss this key service item and never sell the car for anything near the right money - ever![/quote]

My aim towards track mileage is the high revving nature of the work it is put through, rather than less frequent high revving on the road. Less revolutions of an engine means less wear all round. Manufacturers put a much lower mileage/year figure on replacing belts because of the 'what if' syndrome that's developed over the last decade. Someone hears a scare story that's passed through a few dozen mouths like chinese whispers and suddenly everyone wants there belts changed half an hour after the last one (exaggeration added for effect!). I think the biggest reason for enthusiastic car owners to change the belt is because of this 'what if' scaremongering that's developed rather than a genuine need to replace it.

I should know...because i've fallen for it myself.

Although i did forget that trophys are at the 5 yr old mark now and just read the mileage.

Reaction score
Hey! Misquote, I didn't write that, check back It was you stormduck!!!

I said change them... Age related not mileage ( not scaremongering) .

Reaction score
BoroGTI said:
doing a cambelt before 40k is a waste of time! unless their is visable wear it doesent need doing, yes i know its cheaper than replacing an engine if it does snap but the actual chances of a belt snapping at them miles is nothing
Eh?! :shock:
The reason there is a mileage and time interval on cambelts is because over time the rubber hardens and becomes brittle which causes and teeth to disintegrate. Its the same with tyres, you shouldn't run tyres over 5 years old for the same reason, plus as they go hard they lose grip, especially in the wet.
A friend of mine took his golf for service and on the way to the garage the belt broke causing £600 of damage. Luckily he was just pulling out of a turning so the damage was limited. The cambelt was within it's recommend life.

Oh, and it's "snapping at those miles"

Reaction score
haha, that worked well didn't it!! See, i can make you say things that you didn't mean to say, derren brown trained me up