is1

Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
BoroGTI said:
doing a cambelt before 40k is a waste of time! unless their is visable wear it doesent need doing, yes i know its cheaper than replacing an engine if it does snap but the actual chances of a belt snapping at them miles is nothing
Eh?! :shock:
The reason there is a mileage and time interval on cambelts is because over time the rubber hardens and becomes brittle which causes and teeth to disintegrate. Its the same with tyres, you shouldn't run tyres over 5 years old for the same reason, plus as they go hard they lose grip, especially in the wet.
A friend of mine took his golf for service and on the way to the garage the belt broke causing £600 of damage. Luckily he was just pulling out of a turning so the damage was limited. The cambelt was within it's recommend life.

Oh, and it's "snapping at those miles"

Ahem, "its" (second sentence) should be "it's" and the reference to "it's" (penultimate sentence) should be "its" :)

Reaction score
Poor old NickBR; he was only attempting to raise standards (one step at a time). So, open season on punctuation, spelling and grammar - at last! We are all guilty to one extent or another.....

: - ; ' " ? , . (delete/ use as appropriate)
;-)

G

I'm having my cambelt changed next week along with the other bits that go with it (aux belt etc.). I won't be using the car on a track, but the 5-year thing is there for a reason, hence the change when it gets serviced, even though I haven't reached the recommended mileage.

Reaction score
nickboazracing said:
BoroGTI said:
doing a cambelt before 40k is a waste of time! unless their is visable wear it doesent need doing, yes i know its cheaper than replacing an engine if it does snap but the actual chances of a belt snapping at them miles is nothing
Eh?! :shock:
The reason there is a mileage and time interval on cambelts is because over time the rubber hardens and becomes brittle which causes and teeth to disintegrate. Its the same with tyres, you shouldn't run tyres over 5 years old for the same reason, plus as they go hard they lose grip, especially in the wet.
A friend of mine took his golf for service and on the way to the garage the belt broke causing £600 of damage. Luckily he was just pulling out of a turning so the damage was limited. The cambelt was within it's recommend life.

Oh, and it's "snapping at those miles"
its not as if im saying never change the belts! i just personally wouldent change mine that early (changed mine at 45,000/5 years) as i personally dont think theres much need, a decent cambelt will not harden to the point that it will go brittle and snap in 5 years! you would be amazed how long they will last. the majority of the time if a cambelt snaps its because its faulty from new. your mate in the golf was just very unlucky, not saying it never happens, just not as often as a lot of people think. Car companies give these service times in miles and years very conservatively to cover them selves

Reaction score
To cover themselves against what?

Cambelt changes at the specified intervals fall well outside the normal warranty window.... You must know more than they do; but I, like most others (imo), would prefer to follow industry reccs. and keep the chances of a motor catastrophy down to the minimum.

What else do you suggest cutting corners on, out of interest?? My engineering teacher warned me about lay experts.....;-)

Reaction score
Why bother changing the oil every 6 or 12 months... it will last years. Just keep topping it up. Don't bother keeping it between the minimum/maximum level. So long as there's some just on the end of the dipstick that'll do. :roll:

Reaction score
sorry i diden't realise id stumbled onto the loose women forum! as car forums go this is usually a decent one, but it seems that some on here still want to turn it into the usual b**ch fest that most car forums are. you can tell a lot about some people from how they are on forums. its like some sort of witch hunt if someone expresses a personal opinion instead of following others like sheep

Reaction score
So, if we don't agree with you we are bitching?

If you are that sensitive then possibly there's a little weakness in the point you make, maybe?....

Following others like sheep, or lamb to the slaughter perhaps, cheer up it's just a debate :)