Reaction score
Got a bit carried away today :shock:

My exhaust (standard 'high quality' item) is making strange noises again.. So I concluded something had to be done! Then concluded whilst I am at it makes sense to do something on the induction and ECU side.

ITG panel filter and KTR grp N ECU choices were squared away fairly quickly, my thoughts then turned back to the exhaust, which seemed more complicated...

Have looked at the Orbisoud before, very nice (if quite expensive, even considering sports cat) bit of kit, but I don't want my tomato to sound like 'the dogs of war' have been unleashed (no offence anyone with the 95db one, I know I am being a bit soft :oops: ) After some further research I discovered Orbisoud do a quieter (87db) version of their 182 exhaust (Standard being 95db). 87db version being same as standard, but with silencer box between sports cat and back box. Speculatively I rang K-Tec, spoke with Dave; it transpires he had one of these quieter versions in stock (Orbisoud having sent one as an example). Bank manager wasn't smiling at this stage! Monday sees me booked in for some fettling :twisted:

So then I had the taste for spending money :roll: So I booked a service at Ren-Tech on Tuesday, 3,000 miles early but some TLC is not wasted investment I concluded.

Also rang insurance £61 extra for mods; not bad I thought.

Will post again after work with update if anyone is interested in a report, let me know..

Reaction score
Orbisoud.....WOW :shock:

How can you justify paying that much money tho?
Must be near £800 or so wasnt it?

However it is the dogs bo**ox so i'll let you off :wink:

Im going with the milltek grp buy on cs, full ss cat back, lifetime warrenty for £300...not bad me thinks
As long as i lose no power but gain a bit of noise i'll be happy.

Reaction score
Excellent update Neo, asim's Orbisoud looked and sounded awesome, I am sure you won't be disappointed :D

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Reaction score
Get a btb exhaust, cheaper than a orbisound and im sure its just as good and quieter!

Reaction score
TrophyDan said:
Orbisoud.....WOW :shock:
How can you justify paying that much money tho?
Must be near £800 or so wasnt it?
However it is the dogs bo**ox so i'll let you off :wink:
Im going with the milltek grp buy on cs, full ss cat back, lifetime warrenty for £300...not bad me thinks As long as i lose no power but gain a bit of noise i'll be happy.

£900 I know what you are saying :oops: the cost benefit equation isn't the strong point of the purchase. Sometimes I listen to my heart not my head I guess. In my 'defence' last time was ages ago - resulting in an Omega moon watch, 40 yr old design, manually wound chronometer; but I still think it is great :roll:
Exhaust wise I wanted a single back box. Orbisoud weren't unique in this respect but I liked there layout more than others, although others will justifiably take a different view I am sure. Plus once I found I was able to get an Orb which was deisgned for old codgers like me :wink:
If I were being self crirtical I think the ECU & ITG are the naughty bits, atleast my exhaust was on its last legs!
I also spoke with Hayward & Scott, who were talking in terms of £900 + VAT for an equivalent item, but they wanted the car for four days to do the work to design the sports cat part. Which made the Orb seem relatively good value (yeh that is a big relative there). A H&S cat back system from them was £450 + VAT
"Boys and their toys.." as SWMBO would say :wink:

drexel said:
Get a btb exhaust, cheaper than a orbisound and im sure its just as good and quieter!

Very nice exhausts I 100% agree. But not rated at 87db as I understand it ie BTB is louder. Price wise they are cheaper, although BTB is by no means the winner in value for money terms.
The ability to get all the work (Orb, ITG & ECU) done in one place (KTR) was also a factor.

Reaction score
Nice one Neophyte, I can vouch for the ITG panel and Group N ECU and that the Orbisoud is my choice of the exhausts.

Isn't part of the reason for such an expensive exhaust the noise? I think I would always regret it if I went for the quiet one, the normal one sounds so fruity and tuneful, not at all like an arsehole boy racer Nova dustbin, more of a motorsport pedigree.

Good Luck with the work, say Hi to Dave from me, top bloke.

Reaction score
The btb is very quiet! Im off to bedford on feb 10th so ill get it sound tested there, its defently not over 90db

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
hhmmmnn, man after my own heart there... Exactly the mods I'm going to be doing to #274 as and when they need them. Mine's in for some 'warrenty' work on the passenger seat (again) and a mysterious rattle from what I think is the exhaust area..... If t needs a new one then Valentines Day is going to be a big let down for her in doors :)

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
Nice one Neophyte, I can vouch for the ITG panel and Group N ECU and that the Orbisoud is my choice of the exhausts.
Isn't part of the reason for such an expensive exhaust the noise? I think I would always regret it if I went for the quiet one, the normal one sounds so fruity and tuneful, not at all like an ******** boy racer Nova dustbin, more of a motorsport pedigree.
Good Luck with the work, say Hi to Dave from me, top bloke.

I was sorely tempted by the 95db version... I am an old git I confess. Having said which I am going to get something less subtle on the Caterham 7 I have long dreamed of, which will happen in due course. C7 will not be a daily drive, so can accomodate something more voluminous

drexel said:
The btb is very quiet! Im off to bedford on feb 10th so ill get it sound tested there, its defently not over 90db

My mistake. Very nice exhausts as I said. Their Caterham items for example being very well thought of as I understand it. There are quite noise conscious at Bedford, but they look (from a quick glance at some track days sites) to be OK at <100db. On which basis even the normal Orb would be AOK. I am sure you won't have any issues :)

Cue said:
hhmmmnn, man after my own heart there... Exactly the mods I'm going to be doing to #274.. :)

I will post after the changes and service to update you incase that is of any use going forward :)

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Am a little worried now that everyone is saying that the Orb. is a bit noisey, the clips i've heard i thought it sounded a little understated and like Neophyte am a bit of an old fart so i would look daft if it sounded like a chav racer. :) Funds will be available in the summer for these kind of mods so am very interested as to how you get on.

Reaction score
Go for the loud version (+ Maxogen). It will totally change the character of the little Clio. Proper quality motorsport sound. None of that Max Power cr@p.
Also you should know I had an ITG panal filter for a short while with the Orbisoud until I went back to Dave for the Maxogen. It was only after fitting the Maxogen when I felt a significant difference in the throttle and power. When you combine the Orb with the Maxogen you create magic. Car is completely different now to when I first got it. Pulls much harder with ALOT more force.
So if you're going for the Orb then I would definatly recommend combining it with the Maxogen.

Sorry to everyone who's asked me for a vid of the Orb. Will definatly have one up here after its service this weekend.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i've heard the orb first hand and it sounded 'meaty' not overly loud. Certainly not as loud as the race exhaust on the clio racer - that (which was under the decibel limit) just about blew everything else away - you couldn't hearself shout when it was at full tilt.

Reaction score
asim said:
Go for the loud version (+ Maxogen). It will totally change the character of the little Clio. Proper quality motorsport sound....

asim your various posts have been read with interest, most helpful :) One part of me wanted the 'loud' version, but I get old and grey, there is no known cure.. I would love a cottage by a river (which naturally I can fly fish on) as I said old and grey...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
what about the sheep dog to keep you company? lol... You're only as old as the courage you portray when on track... Sterling Moss is only 25 you know!

Reaction score
Cue said:
what about the sheep dog to keep you company? lol... You're only as old as the courage you portray when on track... Sterling Moss is only 25 you know!

:lol:
A couple of long haired 'Alsatians' would go nicely with that cottage I mentioned wouldn't they, another part of the Neo hair brained plan..
Courage on track, I remember having some of that many moons ago. Now I like to flow not push if that makes any sense at all.

Reaction score
Neophyte - as a country dweller with five dogs and too may ditches to clear I really know what you mean - and do so agree with the flow not push approach - I find it less frightening when hill-climbing between walls and trees!

Reaction score
Neophyte said:
Now I like to flow not push if that makes any sense at all.

I'm with you there, I just took a leisurely one myself, no point giving yourself a hernia at work. :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Steve Gunnis said:
Neophyte said:
Now I like to flow not push if that makes any sense at all.

I'm with you there, I just took a leisurely one myself, no point giving yourself a hernia at work. :lol:

Presumably that comes under the "other rumblings" part of this thread :lol:

Reaction score
So as mentioned previously, today saw me taking a trip down to KTec, for the ITG, ECU, Orbisoud and splitter..

Having stopped smiling (and even quietly laughing!) since I left. Car is transformed :twisted: , I can only think this is down to the new super lightweight wallet I have :wink: Less pleasant part of the day £1,341 :oops: Not including £60 on insurance either.

Splitter first up, looks nice, if a bit more noticable than I had expected. Not in a bad way though, sure >95% of people wouldn't even notice it, which is fine by me.

ITG, ECU and Orb have to be talked about in combination, I expected some performance gain, didn't really go in with a fixed idea of what I was aiming for BHP wise, was more interested in getting even more torque in fact. As I said earlier have been smiling like an idiot since I left KTec. Really pleased with result, engine seems much more 'meaty' low down, changing into second really being so much better (struggle to use all power in first, with my limited ability) immediately pulls noticeably harder. Plus sounds very nice :D

Noise wise (which was a concern for me) it is just the right side of what I wanted. I believe standard exhaust is 86db, where as a 'silenced' Orb is 87db so difference is clear, but in a good way. My old man didn't think it was to loud if that say anything to you. Although he owns an STi and a Gordon Keeble so might be a bit more forgiving than some..

ECU re-map wise, one amusing bit is when you first start up it gives a cheeky blip of the throttle. Made me laugh first time I heard it. before settlng into a quiet 900rpm idle.

Impressions of KTec were also good. I watched the chap fitting the Orb, he checked the alignment very closely. Final inspection I noticed was down with the car at three heights on the lifting contraption. Dave (bossman I think) was nice and knew his stuff, bought the exhaust up pre-fitting so I could give it the once over. Overall impression, not cheap but did a very good job.

Anyway I think that gives you an idea and before I get boring, I am off for another drive 8)

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
well i've got the splitter, just needing the ECU (did you get the Group N one?) ITG and Orb... the orb will have to wait though :(