Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to pick your brains? I'm looking to buy a OBD reader and I just wondered if anyone could tell me which model number I should buy? I've seen the one that K-tec sells but I've noticed what looks like the same one cheaper on ebay, but I'd just like to confirm if I'm ordering the right one before I purchase it.

Reaction score
Hi,

Sounds like you've done the same research as me....
Gone for the same one on Ktec, but using Ebay though, quite a bit cheaper, it works too. =D>

Chris

Reaction score
Hi Chris do you know what the model number is? I can't quite make it out from the photo on the k-tec website.

Reaction score
I bought one from eBay too, it had a "best offer" as well as a Buy it now price, so I got it for £22.50 delivered.

This is the one I went for:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....89867&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

...mind you, I can't comment on whether it works or not, as I got my mate to reset my emissions light using his RSTuner before the OBD2 reader arrived, so haven't tested it yet!

ETA: Looks like the one K-Tec sell is the U480 and says CAN OBDII on it, the one I bought is the U380 and just says OBDII (no CAN, whatever that is). No idea what the difference is.

Reaction score
I'm selling mine if you're interested. It is the exact same one that K Tec, comes with batteries and instructions. Excellent condition. I used it to turn of my engine warning light as my sports cat kept triggering it. After £20 posted. Pm me if you are interested.

Patrick

Reaction score
Trophy 380, I have replied to your PM but it is sitting in my outbox and not my sent items so not sure if you have got it. If you haven't please can you PM me your email and I can send you payment details. :D

Thanks,

Patrick

Reaction score
Thanks Patrick, got it today, just as described! I haven't looked yet but can anyone tell me where the connection slot is?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Connection in pocket down near ciggy lighter, there is a cover there ;-)

looking at an RS Tuner as these also do the codes.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
You can pull the ash tray straight up and the port is under there. It has a little dust cap on it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thinking of getting one of these after my weekend trials but
A) I can't seem to find the one on the K-Tec site
B) So you plug this in, it gives you a fault code and then what? How do you reference the code?

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Thinking of getting one of these after my weekend trials but
A) I can't seem to find the one on the K-Tec site
B) So you plug this in, it gives you a fault code and then what? How do you reference the code?

The one that K-Tec sells is half the price on ebay. I haven't used mine yet, but it seems you plug the reader into the socket behind the ash tray, if it shows up a fault code you can reference it from the booklet you get with the reader. If a fault should appear you can also remove it.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So that's the U380? And how specific are the codes, I mean I have a warning light but that could cover a multitude of faults.

Reaction score
If no one can answer that for you now hoolio I'll check for you when I get home. I've got the U380, but again I'll confirm what model it is later and let you know.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thankyou, the main reason I wanted the K-tec link was to see if they had any further info but for twenty quid or so I may just go for it.

Reaction score
Hoolio- the booklet that comes with the Ktec reader has lots of codes - seems very specific ( though I plugged it to my car and all was clear so had no need to reference anything) the codes are generic it seems ( iso standard or similar) so the reader works with most post 2000 cars, worth having imo.