Reaction score
allvehicles said:
That Black 182 looks great, but I am finding that people are wary of too many mods, particularly anything that fundamentally changes the handling.

You know, I think you are right, what was I thinking, spending all that money to fundamentally change my handling. What will all those people think? I will be the laughing stock of the RS world.

I'll change it back to standard first thing tomorrow.

:wink:

Reaction score
7MAT said:
I won’t pretend I know what I talking about when it comes to setting up a car so I just went with Mark’s recommendations for fast road & occasional track day use.

I did the same when I got my camber adjusted, just followed what the guy doing the work advised, at the end of the day he was the guy with all the experience. Did Mark tell you how much camber he dialled in at the front?

Reaction score
Haha, I meant on Trophys you nut. The regular current Trophy buyer is not someone who want's it tampered with and would narrow down potential buyers. I'd play with Cups for now. Stand easy about yours...

Reaction score
Hehe

Phew, I was just about to get the sockets out.

Know what you mean about tampering with the Trophy, same as the Williams really.
You can't really touch them.

:D

Reaction score
A point about suspension settings on Cup. I'm not convinced they are all the same when they come out of the factory. Some, the ones I assume with more negative camber, kick back through the steering wheel at very slow speed on sharp turns, others don't. The same applies that some track across the road at any opportunity and others don't. The Trophy doesn't have that characteristic, but then you only have to park side by side with a Cup and the Trophy has less neg. camber.

Reaction score
allvehicles said:
That Black 182 looks great, but I am finding that people are wary of too many mods, particularly anything that fundamentally changes the handling.

Matt, would you care to comment on the above, after today's visit to Mark Fish Motorsport.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reaction score
Vava.voom said:
allvehicles said:

Matt, would you care to comment on the above, after today's visit to Mark Fish Motorsport.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

After a full days testing we finally ended up with a massive improvement on the standard setup with a subtle 10mm drop.

Mark Fish Motorsport workshop;
MarkFishworkshop.jpg

10mm drop (side view);
10mmdrop.jpg

10mm drop + increased camber;
modifiedfrontcamber2.jpg

It was a very interesting day; I can now confirm that the original front springs are indeed manufactured by Eibach and the rear springs are std 182 cup springs which doesn’t surprise me as I did find the rear a little too bouncy, with the stiffer rear springs the back of the car sits much nicer at high speeds.

EibachfrontTrophysprings.jpg

It looks like Renault used Sach adjustable shocks for the Trophy as the dial on top has turn arrows with “+†and “-“ on them. Trouble is the dial has been pinned down so that it can't be adjusted. Mark is of the impression that the shocks could be easily modified to be adjustable.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hmmm.... VERY interested in this. Might just have to pay Mark a visit.

What was done to acheive the 10mm drop?

Reaction score
Nik said:
Hmmm.... VERY interested in this. Might just have to pay Mark a visit.

What was done to acheive the 10mm drop?

As Mark didn't charge me for most of the development work he would prefer me to keep quiet about the specs of his customs springs and camber adjustment settings.

What I can tell you is that they are not Spax.

The improvement is fantastic - both Mark and I are ‘over the moon’ with the results.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah thats fine Matt, I kind of expected that would be the case. Great to here that its made good improvements :D

Reaction score
Interesting stuff Matt, will have to pop along to one of your pub meets to get first hand experience. :D

Reaction score
"It looks like Renault used Sach adjustable shocks for the Trophy as the dial on top has turn arrows with “+†and “-“ on them. Trouble is the dial has been pinned down so that it can't be adjusted. Mark is of the impression that the shocks could be easily modified to be adjustable."

Looks really good Matt, I was under the impression that '+' and '-' are to do with how soft the shocks are and I presume that the dial has been pinned down as Renault had it setup how they wanted it.

Reaction score
trophy27 said:
"It looks like Renault used Sach adjustable shocks for the Trophy as the dial on top has turn arrows with “+†and “-“ on them. Trouble is the dial has been pinned down so that it can't be adjusted. Mark is of the impression that the shocks could be easily modified to be adjustable."

Looks really good Matt, I was under the impression that '+' and '-' are to do with how soft the shocks are and I presume that the dial has been pinned down as Renault had it setup how they wanted it.

Yep, that's exactly what Matt was saying. The thing is, you know that Reno will have gone for a compromise setting. Probably thought it was too risky to sell the car with fully adjustable damper settings.

:)

Reaction score
Would be interested to know if the dampers can be un-pinned - will this be what Mark Fish is going to look at? Certainly for sprints and hill climbs some adjustment would be very helpful - it could be stiffer on very twisty (left and right in rapid succession) courses, as I discovered last weekend at the new even tighter Dunkeswell.

Reaction score
Very interesting about the adjustables!!!

Thanks Matt for being the pioneer in this :)

After another understeering trackday with the trophy i'm going to get my camber adjusted as it's just not correct at the moment. Then i'll try it out on another trackday and see how it fairs.

Reaction score
Jezza, I am already at 2.00 negative and it understeered ridiculously at Dunkeswell (need to turn in slower - gained 3 seconds by driving as though on a Sunday afternoon drive!) but was fine at Wiscombe. Photos show a lot of roll and rear wheel a long way of the ground. Don't want to go stiffer for Wiscombe, so think it will be down to tyres and long term a LSD of some sort. In the meantime it just needs a better driver!

Reaction score
Its most likely down to the driver for me to. I'd like go be able to time my laps as then i could try different driving styles through corners etc and see what works best.
Well i've got a brand hatch training day in june. So hopefully i will learn something from that.

Reaction score
The point I meant to make about the amount of roll, is that even with 2.00 negative the front wheel was still showing a lot of positive camber - can understand why the Challenge racers go to 3.5 degrees! - even though they appear to run springs at least 5 times as stiff!

Reaction score
George K said:
Would be interested to know if the dampers can be un-pinned - will this be what Mark Fish is going to look at? Certainly for sprints and hill climbs some adjustment would be very helpful - it could be stiffer on very twisty (left and right in rapid succession) courses, as I discovered last weekend at the new even tighter Dunkeswell.

He said he knows a guy who rebuilds shocks who would be able to confirm etc.

For the time being my shocks are staying on the car, but give Mark a ring to see what he suggests as I didn't push it with him as I have spent enough cash.

The front shocks are set very hard; Mark was off the impression that they were as firm as or firmer than Leda coilovers at there firmest setting.

For information the ride height of my car is now sitting at (measured from the floor to the top lip of the arch);

Front 610mm
Rear 614mm