Reaction score
I thought the trophy springs were unique in there weight/ strenght and spring so if you change them it could well ruin the handling. Others on here know more about the springs than me. So hopefully they can give you some better detail.

Reaction score
There are some springs out there for the trophy. Cant remember who made them tho

No one wants to lower their trophy cos they are worried about stressing the shocks, although in theory this should not happen.

Please feel free to lower your trophy....that way i can see if its any good / see if you break it
:D

I have thought about lowering, but its the last thing on my mod list.
Might effect your residual value?

Reaction score
Your biggest problem may be that the front bump stops may come into play more and even though they apparently are hydraulic this could upset the handling balance. As Jezza points out you will need to find out the rates of the o.e springs and of whatever you replace them by. The rear could be lowered on its own and because of the geometry of a torsion beam axle, it should not affect the relative roll centres too much.

Reaction score
I was at Mark Fish Motorsport today and we got talking about lowering my trophy, he reckon's that he could get some springs made up for use with the sachs.

I explained my fears about knackering the expensive and hard to replace dampers. In his opinion the sachs are very well built and should cope fine with a shorter travel. He expalined that the sachs dampers can be rebuilt at a small cost if the worse did happen.

After seeing a nice track day 182 with leda coilovers in his garage I really do want the trophy to sit lower to the ground.

Reaction score
I thought the same as jezza, that the car is set up to handle the best that it can. It would look better lowered.

Day

Reaction score
Lowering a Trophy?

I dare you post that on the Cliosport site - imagine the uproar lol

Reaction score
Matt, just ditch the sachs and go for coilovers. You know you want to. :wink:

Red_blk_lres.jpg

Reaction score
Saw this Black 182 on the R'sport forum (is it yours?), looks awesome - great low stance, much lower than the Trophy. Leda coilovers fitted by Mark Fish Motorsport, so you know they are going to be set up properly.

I do have an issue with how high the Trophy appears to sit on its suspension, but it is a looks only thing so I reckon that to keep the car handling sweet I am just going to leave the ride height alone.

Reaction score
Vava.voom said:
Matt, just ditch the sachs and go for coilovers. You know you want to. :wink:

Red_blk_lres.jpg

Steve, this picture makes my car look like its on stilts.

How did you get on at Brands with the Leda's?

After Mark finished setting my car up yesterday we went for a drive - he was very impressed but said in his opinion the handling would still benefit from the car being lowered. I can't believe how much extra front wheel grip I've now got in the bends.

I'm getting very tempted to try out the spax springs as they are progressive and TUV approved, unless Mark can come up with another option.

Reaction score
The Leda's are awesome. The Brands test was good. The car is a lot more planted. Completely different to before. Was trying out different damper settings. The rear is a massive improvement.

Just take a bit of time for the driver to get used to them. Abbeyville should be fun.

So what all did you have done at Mark's then Matt? Camber adjustment as well as the brakes? Turbo fitted?

The black one is mine yes, OliS. If you are in Surrey, we need to see you at our next pub meet mate. That pic was from the last one.

We need to have a get together next w/end Matt, before we go to France.

:)

Reaction score
Vava.voom said:
So what all did you have done at Mark's then Matt? Camber adjustment as well as the brakes? Turbo fitted?

Yep camber adjustment and went with your recommendations for brakes. The combination of the Brembo discs and Mintex M1177 pads are just awesome.

Reaction score
Cool, glad you are happy with them.

Makes a massive difference.

Shall we have a get together next weekend? Not long to go now.

Reaction score
Vava.voom said:

I'm planning on going back to Mark's on Saturday morning as he's going to remove one of my front dampers and take some measurements :D

If you fancy it - why don't you drive down with me? Probably be an early start mind.

Reaction score
Vava.voom said:
The black one is mine yes, OliS. If you are in Surrey, we need to see you at our next pub meet mate. That pic was from the last one.

Always up for meeting other R'sport Clio owners, especially if they enjoy their cars like you and Matt do! Can't do anything in May, and then in June there is the World Cup, but maybe sometime after then. :D

Matt - What camber settings did you go for? Will be interested to hear how you get on at Mark's with the spring investigation, keep us posted!

Reaction score
7MAT said:
Vava.voom said:

I'm planning on going back to Mark's on Saturday morning as he's going to remove one of my front dampers and take some measurements :D

If you fancy it - why don't you drive down with me? Probably be an early start mind.

LOL, I was planning on going to see Mark next weekend myself.

Early start on Saturday is good for me.

Reaction score
Matt, were your original camber settings massivly different from what renault state? and like oli id be interested to hear what settings your running now.

vava voom: your clio looks wicked. where did you purchase the Leda's from?

Reaction score
jezza l said:
Matt, were your original camber settings massivly different from what renault state? and like oli id be interested to hear what settings your running now.

vava voom: your clio looks wicked. where did you purchase the Leda's from?

I won’t pretend I know what I talking about when it comes to setting up a car so I just went with Mark’s recommendations for fast road & occasional track day use.

What I can tell you is that Mark took lots of measurements before starting work and test drove the car himself over stretch of well known road before he was fully happy.

The steering now feels very positive and more planted, it turns in better and has improved grip out of the bends. What I do know is that if you live near Harrow or even if you don’t it would be worth the drive to get Mark to perform his magic.

Reaction score
That Black 182 looks great, but I am finding that people are wary of too many mods, particularly anything that fundamentally changes the handling.