Reaction score
Trophy No.
Seems i'm always banging on with probs anyone any ideas with this?
From cold can pull off but there is a total lack of power tiil it warms a little, plenty of revs but wiill just not move. Has only just started, admittedly have still only done 2k (i know shame on me)

Sorry no idea what its doing in pics section, am such a dufus. can someone move it.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yeah, that's perfectly normal.

The ECU does strange things with the fuelling for the first 70 seconds or so in order to meet emissions regulations. After this the cat will have warmed up and be operating correctly and it returns to normal. You can often feel the kick as this change happens.

If you have a decat like me then this is the time where people run for cover as they think there's a drive by shooting taking place :lol:

Reaction score
It's fucking annoying isn't it!!!

I nearly got rear ended by a 7.5 tonne lorry because I couldn't get the power down!!

Now I just get up 5 minutes earlier and warm her up! :roll:

Reaction score
It's hilarious, I know exactly when it's coming and drop down into second and nail it, it's all jittery then just lunges forward. I don't rev it too high when cold though, before you tell me off.

Does anyone know if the re-map I'm having on Saturday will affect this? I would like to get rid of it as it's just an emissions thing.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
stevegunnis said:
Does anyone know if the re-map I'm having on Saturday will affect this? I would like to get rid of it as it's just an emissions thing.

I have the fastchip remap which is who BBPT developed their remap with and I still have it on mine.

Reaction score
lol why rev it hard when its cold?
I give my cup a couple fo min to warm before i move off.
The mazda REQUIRES a few min warming time.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
ll at this - my first 3 weeks of ownership of the trophy it was back into the dealers twice to fix this 'problem' i thought the car had.

You don't need to reving the thing to experience this - I ive on a steep hill and going up the hill when cold i experience it everyday, the engine just says "feck off I'm gettting up aren't I" like a teenager. It's great though when its awake, it thinks it can hold its drink then gets all rowdy and raucous.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hey guys.
Please don't think i thrash my beloved little tomato car, that's one of the reasons i've put so few miles on it, i've not wanted to put on crappy work miles where it hardly gets a chance to warm up. the reason i said "plenty of revs" was to try to take them out of the equation, anyway never more than 3k revs. Also this is a problem that has not occured until recently and nobody has yet explained that.
Also, people started talking about re-map as part of this topic, do you need to tell insurance gestapo about this? and if you don't would it affect any claim(assuming they found out, unlikely i know)

Reaction score
hoolio said:
Also this is a problem that has not occured until recently and nobody has yet explained that.

Mine never used to do this in winter when the weather was freezing cold, but once summer came it started doing it all the time. Maybe the ambient air temperature is a factor ( or maybe i've just got an over-active imagination).

hoolio said:
Also, people started talking about re-map as part of this topic, do you need to tell insurance gestapo about this? and if you don't would it affect any claim(assuming they found out, unlikely i know)

I think that, in theory, you should tell the insurance about a re-map because you are changing the power output of the car away from manufacturers standard.

However, as you say, how are they going to find out? I think that this is one mod that you could definitely get away with.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
(offtopic) the whole insurance thing is crock. Yeh you should tell them but i can't see how a remap is going to make the car either ore knickable or more likely to be involved in an accident, yet they'll increase your premium???????? Government should step in and properly regulate the industry. (offtopic)

Reaction score
I also live at the bottem of the hill and some morining i do not feel like i will get up it??

Reaction score
Cue said:
Yeh you should tell them but i can't see how a remap is going to make the car either ore knickable or more likely to be involved in an accident, yet they'll increase your premium????????

If you modify your car in any way they jump to the conclusion that you are a boy racer, and that you are likely to plough through a group of schoolkids on a zebra crossing at any minute.

Please don't get me started on Insurance companies, we'll be here all day.

Did I tell you about the time my insurance company wanted .........

Reaction score
Was recently thinking about this subject of slugish response when started from cold. I tend to agree with MickD. Mine didn't do this during the winter, so assume it was down to higher ambient temperature acting upon the closed loop function. About 60 seconds of coughing and farting and it's ready for the day....Bit like me really!

Reaction score
Bringing up an old topic here but I've not had this happen on my trophy for many months. A slightly colder morning and the problem has reared its head again. This morning pulling away in 1st I got to 2.5k revs and just as I was about to change it died, changed to 2nd 2.5k revs it died, 3rd 2.5 revs it died, 4th no problem.
Then 4th died (unsure on the revs), so in to 5th and all seemed fine. About 7 minutes in to my journey I was at some traffic lights about to head on to a slip road to join the motorway. I was in the right-hand lane so I could pass a couple of slower cars and join the motorway at a decent speed rather than join it at 50mph stuck behind some numptys. The car was showing that it was up to temperature. So I go to pull away and 1st has no power for me, I try to battle through the "flat spot" but give up and try 2nd gear, (by this time the "slower" cars had passed me on the inside lane!!) 2nd gear had nothing to offer either. So I was forced to go around the roundabout again and line up for another attempt at going down the slip road. Whilst going round the roundabout I revved the car to 4k a couple of times. Tried again and I had power.
What I can't understand is the car was showing as being at the correct temp. I had driven around 4-5 miles!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This does not sound like the familiar problem that we all seem to get which can be solved by a couple of minutes of warming up, but what else it may be i'm not sure, sorry.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
No thats definitely not right. Once mines got past the first minute or so from ignition it runs fine. Even before that it doesn't just die, it just a bit jumpy and pops and bangs a lot :p