Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to get a service done on it anyway as it's just over 6k since it's last service. So i'll get them to change spark plugs etc etc. I'll see if it happens again tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it doesn't!! but i'll report back.

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
It's hilarious, I know exactly when it's coming and drop down into second and nail it, it's all jittery then just lunges forward. I don't rev it too high when cold though, before you tell me off.

Does anyone know if the re-map I'm having on Saturday will affect this? I would like to get rid of it as it's just an emissions thing.

I've got a custom Superchips re-map and mine still does this (for the first min or two but then fine).

Which re-map are you going for?

Reaction score
An old post 7MAT, I've had the Group N from K-Tec for a while now. I won't go on about iy here because there are epic posts about it already.

On the power loss jezza l, this is not normal, even on the warm-up cycle that lasts for approx. 75 Secs to allow the catalytic converter to warm up, it is not that down on power, certainly wouldn't stop you monstering normal cars on the approach to a motorway, it sounds to me like you've got an electrics problem, some sort of limp-home mode, that I wasn't aware the 182 had. Definitley get it checked out, warranty issue, I think.

Reaction score
Funny, mine was a bit hesitant this evening after being sat outside the pub for a few hours. It was 5 degrees, so not particularly cold. I haven't noticed it do it before on my morning commute though. Odd.

Reaction score
I tend to let my car idle for @ least a minute on start-up just to let the oil pressure build up before taking it out of the garage.

It's not a Trophy, but assume the same rules apply for the 182?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
swings and roundabouts - the cat doesn't like idleing at anytime as it break down the molecules but the engine does for a minutes or so.

Reaction score
Cue said:
swings and roundabouts - the cat doesn't like idleing at anytime as it break down the molecules but the engine does for a minutes or so.

Roundabouts for me, especially in the wet, get that ESP working.

I always wait for the temp gauge to sit in the middle before using the whole rev range, which is annoying at the moment because the 1.5 mile journey to pick my lady up isn't enough to do that, probably why I leave early and take it over ditchling beacon first. :lol:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
aye never ever rev an engine past 3.5k revs when it's cold - i can hear it screaming now :(

I have the same problem - i live about 2 miles from work and it can never get up to temp so I take a 5.5 mile detour to get it up to temp and warm the exhaust up.

Plus it's the best driving road i can think of - my test track for every car i've ever bought! has twisties, long straights (mile long) and it's so remote no-one uses it - just hills and moorland.

Reaction score
Bear in mind the temperature gauge is water temperature, not oil temp. Past experience of cars with oil temperature gauges would suggest that the oil takes 3 times as long to get to operating temp as the water. So if you're using hard acceleration / full revs on the basis of the water temp gauge, you might want to reconsider and wait a little longer.

Reaction score
But the whole point of modern synthetic oils is that they protect the engine over a wider range of temperatures because their viscosity changes inversely to the temperature due to long complex molecules unravelling as the temperature increases. I use the water temp as a rough guide because the oil temp isn't critical, more important that's it's had time to get around all the moving parts. Gearboxes take a lot longer to warm through and this is why shorter journeys tend to wear a car out more, things like the transmission never get used at optimum temperature, so lots of wear occurs.

I very rarely use the whole rev-range in town driving because apart from being completely anti-social, in a 182 it often means you're doing twice the speed limit in a built up area.

Reaction score
First of all in reply to the this is normal. Yes i am fully aware of the intial issue while the car is cold and that is something i accept. However my car had been driven 4-5 miles which took around 7 minutes when this happened.
It's not happened since and now the trophy is resting in the garage as my daily hack is back on the road. However i've got this friday off work so i'll get the trophy along to my local renault garage. Although sods law says they won't find anything wrong!

Reaction score
Trophy is in the garage today (wasn't able to make it last week). Just had a call from the garage he didn't go in to that much detail but said it requires an air inlet solenoid. I'll find out more details when i pick it up tomorrow.

Reaction score
jezza l said:
Trophy is in the garage today (wasn't able to make it last week). Just had a call from the garage he didn't go in to that much detail but said it requires an air inlet solenoid. I'll find out more details when i pick it up tomorrow.

Let hope its all sorted for you.

Reaction score
Thanks, had a call from them to say it's all fixed! So hopefully it actually is!

Ajr

Reaction score
Ref this problem, sorry to dredge the thread but oh well.

When i pull away(usually 30 secs max idling), the car pulls away fine, then after 2.5k it starts to hold back, then when i change gear, when letting the clutch up it bogs down, the same as an old car did when i unplugged the lambda for the day lol then it drives hesitantly in gear, bogging down whenever i change gear, if i use more throttle on the blend into the next gear it is still awkward, lasts for a few miles usually, damn annoying.

BTW there is a reason that a lot of modern cars idle at higher rpm when cold, it's not only to warm the car up, but oil pressure isn't reached fully without revving the car a bit(not high obviously)

The variable rev limiter really winds me up too, because i can drive for 10 mins after full coolant temp is reached, most of the way home from a mates house, where previous cars have had full running oil temp, and the damn limiter kicks in at just under 6.5k, the shift light comes on basically when you've hit the limiter so is no real use unless you're in 4th or 5th, which is unlikely as limiter in those gears is going a tad fast for england. Why can't they just fit a damn oil temp gauge or an indicator lamp to say when it's ready for war? I rarely take my car over 3k but when i want to overtake or make progress out of a junction it's useful to know you can use the full rev range, damn nanny state ecus!

Reaction score
I have just had a similar problem to you,

going out of a 30 with a Golf GTdi up my chuff, put my foot down in second and the Golf kept up, whats going on! Was up to full temp, has it lost some power? Might have to take it to a rolling road and get it checked out....

Ollie

Reaction score
Ollie231 said:
I have just had a similar problem to you,

going out of a 30 with a Golf GTdi up my chuff, put my foot down in second and the Golf kept up, whats going on! Was up to full temp, has it lost some power? Might have to take it to a rolling road and get it checked out....

Ollie

The Golf could have been mapped, if it was the 150bhp version and it was mapped then as we know it was probably pushing out 180bhp+ and a shed load of torque.
I had a similar thing a while back, 25mph in 2nd up to 50mph he kept up, just, after that it was bye bye.

Reaction score
:DREDGE:

Sorry guys, but I've just got a Trophy and it seems to want to cut out all the time. Also takes a tad long to start up in the morning. Even once warmed up after a long drive, put it in reverse and start to move back and it'll just cut out.

Any Ideas? It doesn't actually seem that fast either, I have just come from an M3 but I was expecting to leave a two up 106 Gti for dead but didn't.... Confused.

:?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
this isn't the same as hoolio's issue - it sounds almost fuel pump related... it'll be fuel or air related at a guess... Anthony, start up a new thread about it and you get some ideas from the guys on here to guide you.