Reaction score
fazedesign said:
noodle/hoolio - Yep, been getting mine serviced at jaybee - they seem pretty good for a main dealer. Noodle - Is your mate one of the youngest salesmen there? - i was talking to him when I picked the car up and he said a good mate also owned a Trophy.

Yup, Ian... and he did tell me actually that they'd had a Trophy in! They're a good garage, they have a few inexperienced mechanics but the service dept is well run, Ian's dad (Tony) is the service manager and knows his s**t inside out pretty much!

Btw guys I'm now almost 100% certain it's a CV joint that's gone as although I can make it knock when turning the wheel whilst stationary or coasting in neutral, it's sooo much worse under drive and it's many times worse when turning right than turning left, . ' . I think it's the driver-side driveshaft (which is where the noise is coming from anyway)... you can go down the road crawling in 1st and it's horrendous, clutch and it almost completely silences it.

It's going in the garage this coming week hopefully and I hope I don't get something too awful as a courtesy car. Wouldn't mind testing a Clio 3 for a few days even if it is slow, as might be looking at one for the gf! :)

Reaction score
Dammit, nearly said a constant velocity joint, if it's only noisy under drive then it can't be a suspension component, good luck with it Noodle.

Reaction score
Steve said:
Dammit, nearly said a constant velocity joint, if it's only noisy under drive then it can't be a suspension component, good luck with it Noodle.

Cheers Steve :D It's not only noisy under drive, but when it is under drive it basically sounds like you've put a pair of jeans in the washing machine with a tenner of loose change in the pockets, which is now rattling around inside the machine!!! :?

I'm going to Tony's house on Wednesday evening to swap it for his Grand Scenic (argh) and he's driving it to Jaybee on Thursday morning for them to look at it. I hope I have it back for the CS meet on Saturday even if it's while they wait for parts! Would suck to turn up in a Scenic, albeit amusing :lol:

Reaction score
Update!

Gave the car to Tony (Service Manager at Jaybee) last night and he took the fault description "loud knocking sound from front right in straight line and loud creaking noise when steering, at speeds up to approx 30mph" and told him I thought it was the bottom ball joint... his mechanics got hold of the jobsheet and dug out the Renault "Technical Note" for the top strut knock which reads something like "muffled knocking sound from axle on extremes of steering lock when maneuvering at slow speed" and pre-emptively ordered.... drumroll.... TWO WASHERS! YAY! :lol:

Just picked it up from his house and he said to me "It's not fixed but the part's on order... go on, have a guess what it was...", I said "Bottom ball joint?"... "Spot on."

Bless the Renault monkeys and their cotton socks :? I'm taking it in on Tuesday morning and having a while-u-wait (maybe 2 hours apparently) job on it because the next time I'll be around two evenings on the trot is next Thursday, due to work :(

So nearly sorted, thanks for all the advice folks! :D

Edit: also had the polarity of my ultransonics swapped while it was in the garage to solve the alarm problem, and they also did an "alarm siren modification" which is dictated by a Renault Technical Note... anyone know what that is?

Reaction score
I had this same problem, Creaking when steering after the car has been ran for around 10 miles. The car was in the dealers today and they have replaced the front anti rollbar bushes under warranty. Apparently that was the problem, although im yet to pick up the car!

Reaction score
Noodle999 said:
I've never suffered from the infamous 182 top mount knock, but a couple of days ago my Trophy started making a knocking noise when maneuvering at slow speeds. I assumed this was the knock, and thought nothing of it, but it has been getting progressively worse since then.

The knock was then joined by a steering creak (when turning the wheel right but not left), and it then started happening at higher speeds (initially 5mph or less, then 15mph slowing down at junctions etc)

Today it was more noticable than normal when I went over to see the gf, culminating with it starting to knock at 30-40mph on the final part of my drive to work this evening... it became pretty much constant and audible over the noise of the radio, at most it was silent for maybe 1.5 seconds between bouts of knocking.

I had exactly the same symptoms, 036 has done 35k miles now. Took the car to Sutton Park Renault in Warwick on Monday this week, and told them I suspected either balljoints or top mounts having read this thread. I breathed a sigh of relief when they phoned to say they could hear the creak, but my heart sank when they said they couldn't diagnose it. Only when I authorised more labour did they drop the balljoints out of the hub to find play in them. Two new lower arms and a wheel alignment later, job done and problem solved. I also had the rear exhaust mounts renewed as they were cracking, having heard the stories about needing a new exhaust when they fail.

The damage:

2 new lower arms @ £53.63
2 exhaust mounts @ £18.41
wheel alignment £35.00
labour £248.20
vat £74.77
total £502.05

:(

Seems like RenaultSport should really have uprated the balljoints when they specced up the Trophy, but decided most cars would be out of warranty by the time they'd fail... :roll: