Reaction score
I've never suffered from the infamous 182 top mount knock, but a couple of days ago my Trophy started making a knocking noise when maneuvering at slow speeds. I assumed this was the knock, and thought nothing of it, but it has been getting progressively worse since then.

The knock was then joined by a steering creak (when turning the wheel right but not left), and it then started happening at higher speeds (initially 5mph or less, then 15mph slowing down at junctions etc)

Today it was more noticable than normal when I went over to see the gf, culminating with it starting to knock at 30-40mph on the final part of my drive to work this evening... it became pretty much constant and audible over the noise of the radio, at most it was silent for maybe 1.5 seconds between bouts of knocking.

It got so bad I was considering pulling over in case I had a wheel about to fall off or something, but I was only half a mile from work so I carried on and arrived ok. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? The fact it's so bad, the top mount knock has always been described as a "low speed" phenomenon and that it seems to be getting worse leads me to believe it's not the usual problem that people have, but something worse / more sinister!

I've rocked the car back and forth in the yard at work, and bounced it up and down, and the noise seems to be coming from the vacinity of the front right... My initial thought was "Oh s**t it's a driveshaft" but I can definately replicate the knocking and the steering creak whilst stationary.

I've checked the wheel nuts are tight etc... any ideas folks?

Reaction score
Sounds like a loose wheel nut or a drop-link. My car had a funny knocking noise from one side after the tyre guys didn't tighten up my wheel nuts properly (!) and my gf's Focus had a persisitent knocking noise for ages, I took it to be be fixed and it was a drop-link (part of the front suspension linkage). They're relatively cheap to replace and covered by warranty so don't panic.

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem, a knocking noise which turns into a creaking when steering at low speeds, the more you drive the louder it seems to get. I took a Renault technician from Southampton out in mine on friday after Winchester Renault told me there was nothing wrong!! The Southampton technician has booked my car in at the end of the month, he said he would pre-order some parts which he thinks it maybe and that it would be under warranty.

I will let you know how i get on

Reaction score
I use my car loads, do about 70miles most days. it doesnt do it when changing gear at all, just seems to be when steering.

Reaction score
The car gets driven at least 10 miles each day I'd estimate, more if I'm working / going somewhere...

It knocks/creaks incessantly when I'm doing a constant speed below about 35mph, it doesn't seem to when accelerating or braking even slightly though, and I wouldn't say that it happens when I change gear but there's a fairly sharp knock when I clutch to stop in traffic, which I took to be associated with deceleration forces rather than anything to do with the transmission?

As for a whining noise, not that I would have associated with the knocking, but for the past couple of weeks (before the knocking started) I've been thinking that the gearbox has been making an unusual tinny whine when I gear down, but I tbh I put it down to my imagination!

It was fine for half of my 12 mile drive home from work this morning... so seems to start when the part involved has warmed up?

When I got home I jacked it up, had the wheel off and inspected everything I could, checked the bushes on the ARB, wishbone and steering arm, had a good feel around the top mount, also checked the driveshaft CV boots, no sign of damage or leakage of grease... also no real play in any of the parts. I then checked the front left as well and also found nothing. What I did notice though was around what I can only describe as a cap situated in the plastic cover underneath the engine (which I presume is to allow oil drainage?) there seemed to be a fair bit of what looked like oil, but I had the 24k service only a couple of months ago so I just guessed they'd just spilled some?

Please tell me my gearbox isn't losing oil or something and about to self destruct :( Is there any way of checking gearbox oil level?

Cheers for all the help guys, it's much appreciated... and sorry for the waffle! :p

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Trip to JayBee a.s.a.p. if i were you it's not worth taking any chances then at least if something catastrophic happens it's not your fault. Hope you get it sorted.

Reaction score
Yeah that's the plan hoolio, they've already been informed and I'm booking it in.

Just had another look with my old man and he spotted something... should the strut top mounts turn as you turn the steering? With the bonnet lifted you can watch them turn all the way lock-to-lock... should they not swivel on a ball joint at the bottom?

Reaction score
Mine knocks a bit in cold weather but only at low speed manoeuvring - just the top mounts I think. Yours definitely sounds different if it happens at speed.

Do you guys both take your cars to jaybee? Seems a bit of a trek form you? Just had mine in last week for its 24k service!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
fazedesign said:
Do you guys both take your cars to jaybee? Seems a bit of a trek form you? Just had mine in last week for its 24k service!

I'd travel a lot further if the dealer has got a good rep. In the process of trying to get some work done on HGJ will post when it's finally sorted.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
noodle999, i know what the issue is... .mines exactly the same - it's the seal on the gearbox, you've had a slightly different noise to me but when i had mine up in the air, down at AWT, I saw exaclty the same fluid coming from around a black seal at the end of the gearbox. It wasn't a drip, but could develop into one.......

I'll have a solution to this in the next week as Reno tech experts (actual experts not dealership numpties) are looking at the car, my letter to the MD and director of quality seems to have done the trick.

I get a whirring noise when the car is hot (as though the fan is going to explode) althought the noise isn't related to the cooling system - seems to come from down inside the engine - my assumption is it's probably linked to the leaking gearbox as I only get the noise when the clutch is depressed at slow speeds (i think road and engine noise dorwn it out at higher speeds).

I'd bet that your's is a tad further on in the process than mine, meaning the knocking is probably due to more leakage from the gearbox. Could be clutch related also...... we'll see.

Reaction score
I got mine from Jaybee, my mate is their top salesman and his Dad is the service manager so I get mates' rates, so-to-speak :lol:

It's not too much of a trek from me only about 22 miles, it's significantly further for hoolio though as he's in Wallingford...

Did you take yours to Jaybee for the 24k then mate?

Cue said:
I saw exaclty the same fluid coming from around a black seal at the end of the gearbox. It wasn't a drip, but could develop into one.......

To clarify I haven't seen any leakage from around a gearbox seal, just there's some oil on the cover under the engine, in the vacinity of the cap in the middle of the cover, which I presume lines up with the sump plug for ease of oil changing?

The creaking at least (but not the knocking) can be replicated with the car stationary and engine off, by turning the wheel. Bouncing the car can get the odd knock out of it sometimes but I'm not convinced it's the same knock.

Reaction score
Yeh, when you drain the oil it's physically impossible to not get any inside the sump cover, when the flow rate decreases it just runs along the surface and gets all over the place. The cap is, as you say, to access the sump plug. I doubt very much if this is a leak, best way to check is leave a sheet of clean A1 paper under the car overnight (or as long as possible) if there's a leak it will show.

Reaction score
Steve said:
Yeh, when you drain the oil it's physically impossible to not get any inside the sump cover, when the flow rate decreases it just runs along the surface and gets all over the place. The cap is, as you say, to access the sump plug. I doubt very much if this is a leak, best way to check is leave a sheet of clean A1 paper under the car overnight (or as long as possible) if there's a leak it will show.

Yeah, cheers Steve I assumed it was just the mess they left when doing the oil change. I don't think I do have an oil like it's just hoolio made the possibility enter my head... I'm fairly convinced as I have a steering creak as well that it's suspension related.

The only question is although it happens when I'm going in a straight line and can happen at 2mph or 30mph, could it still simply be my top mounts, and might I just need to do the washer mod documented on CS?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Noodle999 said:
it's just hoolio made the possibility enter my head...

Sorry, I just mean that it's better to be safe than sorry, if they know about a problem they can't deny it like they are trying to do to me-I have a small paint dribble around the filler cap that i was told could be sorted at any time, they are now saying that i have had the car repainted and that i should have had it done straight away. the arguments that i was told it could be done later and that if i had had it repainted i would have got them to redo it seem to be cutting little ice.

Reaction score
noodle/hoolio - Yep, been getting mine serviced at jaybee - they seem pretty good for a main dealer. Noodle - Is your mate one of the youngest salesmen there? - i was talking to him when I picked the car up and he said a good mate also owned a Trophy.