G

A while ago, an empty stretch of road presented itself to me, so I thought I'd see how fast the Trophy would go. Now, it wasn't the longest stretch of road ever so I couldn't keep my foot planted forever, but it was long enough.
It's not very quick over 100mph, but as it clicked past 125mph it really was very slow. When the GPS showed 127mph it had virtually stopped accelerating altogether.

I was really disappointed - has anyone taken their car completely flat out and how long did it take to get there? Bloody ages I would imagine, and what was the speed?

Reaction score
A few times on the Autobahn while I was out there: 141 on GPS.

O.

Reaction score
Think it hit about 110 down the back straight at Brands Hatch, but there is very little pick up over the ton. That's not what they're for though. It's all about 30-70 where they are absolutely perfect. :D

Reaction score
David87 said:
A while ago, an empty stretch of road presented itself to me, so I thought I'd see how fast the Trophy would go. Now, it wasn't the longest stretch of road ever so I couldn't keep my foot planted forever, but it was long enough.
It's not very quick over 100mph, but as it clicked past 125mph it really was very slow. When the GPS showed 127mph it had virtually stopped accelerating altogether.

I was really disappointed - has anyone taken their car completely flat out and how long did it take to get there? Bloody ages I would imagine, and what was the speed?

I was surprised, it didn't take too long to hit flat out. Was an indicated 142-ish so I'd imagine with speedo tolerance it'd be bang on the claimed value of 140.

I was very impressed how stable it is at these kind of speeds, although there is a lot of wind noise, particularly as the door tops bend outwards due to aero loads!

Reaction score
Faze - i think an indicated 142 on the speedo would be more like a true speed of 128 taking into account speedo tolerances - they are usually about 10% out or there abouts as far as i'm aware.

Reaction score
Cool Hand Luke said:
Faze - i think an indicated 142 on the speedo would be more like a true speed of 128 taking into account speedo tolerances - they are usually about 10% out or there abouts as far as i'm aware.

I think the speedo has to read to read to within -0/+10% but certainly doesn't have to use all that range. Certainly comparing day to day driving with the gps value wouldn't suggest a discrepancy of that much. Next time I have the car up to high speed I'll check against gps!

Reaction score
on the road i think i have done 110, only been over 100mph once in the car! Not worth it.

But the highest speed I have done is just over 115 speedo indicated down the back straight of Donington Park.

I don't think it feels sluggish over 100 at all, its not frightening, but it ain't slow!

Reaction score
The quickest I've been is 130mph, although it did seem to slow after 120mph & tbh the car shows it's lack of weight @ these speeds imo (Lack of weight helps everywhere else).

My old EP3 & DC5 felt very stable @ these speeds compared to the 182.

Reaction score
SpaceMonkey said:
The quickest I've been is 130mph, although it did seem to slow after 120mph & tbh the car shows it's lack of weight @ these speeds imo (Lack of weight helps everywhere else).

My old EP3 & DC5 felt very stable @ these speeds compared to the 182.

i still can't believe how mega your dc5 was!

G

I think it's because I keep comparing it to my Focus - a car which had no real difficulty in reaching over 150mph.

I was just surprised about how long it was taking to pick up speed over 100mph, but the car felt pretty stable for a little hatchback.

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
i still can't believe how mega your dc5 was!

:lol: Cheers Matt :wink:

Quickest I saw in the DC5 was 135mph & not even @ the top of 5th with 6th to go & was pulling like a train.

Reaction score
Right, I hope I don't get too much abuse for posting this...

Cruising down a private road at a steady 120mph, then nailing the throttle for a long downhill section I saw an indicated 141/2mph! I know in reality that this was probably no more than the 139mph that Renault claim for the Trophy, and tbh it was the scariest thing I have done in my Trophy - the doors were rattling so hard against the seals it was unreal! Only time I've ever tried to reach vmax in the Trophy, and not something I will be trying again! It took ages to get up to that speed, 120mph is not a problem, but anything over that and the aero/drag really takes effect.

Stability wise, I think the Trophy is pretty good at high speeds, however I have only driven hot hatchbacks at any real speed...the Trophy certainly feels a lot more stable at these speeds than my old 5 Turbo did at 80mph!

G

DaveTrophy said:
I had 140 on the speedo - but I am thinking it's more likely to be 125 - 130 due to error

Really do need a GPS
Sorry about that - I should have cross-referenced my speedo with the GPS. I'm off to Germany next month so I'll make sure I do it then. When my GPS said 127mph I would have thought the speedo would have been displaying something around 135mph. I don't think they're that inaccurate, even at those speeds. I can't say I noticed a problem with the doors trying to come off, though. :lol: :shock:

Stability was really quite good. Every bit as good as my Focus, and considering how much smaller and lighter the Clio is, that's impressive. Compared to a luxury saloon, however, it feels like it's about to lift off. The BMW 5 Series, for instance, is a ridiculous vehicle. It feels almost exactly the same at 70mph or 140mph. Hilarious!

Reaction score
Annie said:
130 Buxon A6 by-pass middle of the night, 170 911 turbo :D :D :D :D

it's not big nor clever to make such boasts on a public internet forum :wink:

can i have a go in the 911 though?