Reaction score
i honestly think power figures are power figures, they are pretty irrelevant...if before the work we are dead level and after it we are still dead level then it is a waste.

If he pulls away then its worth the money, as a car has to be fairly faster to actually pull away from another car!

RR is a figure on paper, its in the real world what counts. 190bhp doesn't say its faster, if he pulls away with ease, that does!

I will keep you all updated anyway!

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
i honestly think power figures are power figures, they are pretty irrelevant...if before the work we are dead level and after it we are still dead level then it is a waste.

If he pulls away then its worth the money, as a car has to be fairly faster to actually pull away from another car!

RR is a figure on paper, its in the real world what counts. 190bhp doesn't say its faster, if he pulls away with ease, that does!

I will keep you all updated anyway!

I agree to a degree Matt, but if it's RR'd on the same rollers before & after he will get a VERY good idea of the gains he's made & also that it's running as it should be. Well worth the slight additional cost imo.

Reaction score
The trouble with after market ECU's is that they do not have all the facilities for emission control and often for cold starting, and the mapping points can be insufficient for all the low speed points that are necessary for urban use - but if you want to go to more aggressive cams there is little option as a MAF system can not handle the erratic pulsations from more overlap and struggles to get a stable idle let alone satisfactory emissions - fine for a track only vehicle, but not really the answer for road use. This is not heresay as I used an MBE system (one of the best) on a 16v Vauxhall engine - once out of town the results were brilliant, but fortunately is was a pre 1992 car and so did not even need a Cat - which is why so many competiton saloons in the production class are of that era. Also you will lose cruise control and probably factory traction control (for what it is worth).

I would have thought that the best option would be to increase the amount of advance on the inlet cam, from say 15 - 20 degrees as this should allow the standard ECU to work with cams which have more overlap when in the advanced postion. Perhaps this is what the 197 does.

The other simple idea is to stop the inlet cam being retarded at 6,500 - on the power and tprque curves that I have obtained for my car, even after modifications ,it is very evident that this happens - max torque at 5,400 and then falls off a cliff at 6,500.

Reaction score
I had a viper, magnex and ktec remap old 182 and ive got to say i did seem to be a bit quicker, also got about 2 mpg more after mods.
But that said my mate had a W plate subaru which i kept up with, just today a W plate subaru tried it on against my Trophy and again i kept up with him no problem.
Think im just going to keep mine standard, around the twistys i dont think there is much if anything in its class and above that could beat it.