Reaction score
It's a good argument 7MAT but ask your insurer what they think about your de-cat. And take your Renault in for a Warranty issue to see what their reaction to your modifications are. The fact is that a car fiited with a catalytic converter is not road legal without it. But the simple solution is to take the risk and if anything happens re-fit the cat.

Reaction score
Having read up on this thread and around the forum as a whole, I don't think I will go for either the decat or the sports cats from Janspeed. The exhaust alone will do me. Sounds like the safest option ref warranty etc.

Reaction score
stevegunnis said:
It's a good argument 7MAT but ask your insurer what they think about your de-cat. And take your Renault in for a Warranty issue to see what their reaction to your modifications are. The fact is that a car fiited with a catalytic converter is not road legal without it. But the simple solution is to take the risk and if anything happens re-fit the cat.

It is only a legal requirement for manufacturers to release cars with cats fitted.

Removing your cat is not illegal, and is not a valid reason for an insurance company to walk away from a claim. Although not reporting your mod’s to your insurance company / broker is!

Its true insurance companies do no like to insure cars without cats, but not because it’s illegal just their policy.

Checking to see if a cat is fitted is also not part of the MOT process.

If your car can pass the emission test without a cat then its road legal and insurable.

It’s a bit of a grey area but until the laws are changed regarding the use of cats then we can all get away with removing them.

All information from the UK MOT Test Magazine website;

6. Your vehicle has had its catalytic converter removed and replaced by a normal exhaust silencer but passes the emissions Test. Does it fail the MOT because it hasn't got a catalytic converter when it should have one?

a) No, if it passes the emissions part of the MOT that is acceptable.

So if your car can be MOT legal without a CAT, then it stands to reason that it can't be an insurance failure.

http://www.motester.co.uk

http://www.motester.co.uk/motquizans.html

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
182Trophy said:
Having read up on this thread and around the forum as a whole, I don't think I will go for either the decat or the sports cats from Janspeed. The exhaust alone will do me. Sounds like the safest option ref warranty etc.

Not sure if the trophy will clear engine emissions without a cat, touch n' go probably, but you should be fine with the sports cat.