Reaction score
Apolgies if this one's been seen/ debated before - I did a quick search and could find nowt.
When I open up and the revs go above 5000 I see a cloud of exhaust gasses in the rear view mirror (Note to self: keep eyes on road when pushing on!)
The haze is not dark and oily but more like a water cloud that you would see when the car is stone cold. The engine has been fully warmed up so that's not the problem.
Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers,
SILKMAN

Reaction score
Mine's the same, i dont know mush about it either... all i can say is dont over-rev it untill the temp guage is in the middle.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
how many miles?

mine did this early on but fine now. If low miles then suggest its a bit of oil as the rings wont be properly sealed yet.

but as said, wait until good and warm before thrashing it.

Reaction score
this is weird ,im getting the same thing ,ive only just really started revving it a bit but do notice the white ,steam smoke cloud in the rear view mirror ,and i had been driving over 10 miles so the engine was well warmed up , its abit dodgy looking in the mirror as u say but mines seems to do every time after 5.5k rpm its like there water in the exhaust or summit ??????

i also seem to here like a rattley engine noise at high revs this is sumthing i need sum trained hears to listen, not sure if its an engine prob or not ?

Reaction score
For me there's no issue with engine temperature and I've now done 1800 miles. I don't think it's oil as the "colour" of the cloud is too white.
Anyone else experienced this characteristic??
Any top tips??
SILKMAN

Reaction score
I had that with my old 182. One guy I know suggested it may be because generally all I was doing was short journeys in the car, so just as the car warmed up I stopped. All it needed was a long drive. I drove to Cornwall, and by the time I got there, no more problem.

Reaction score
I've been seeing the red, err sorry, white mist recently. Occuring after temperature indicator has reached maximum but only during first 20 mins or so of a drive; suspect it to be a warming issue therefore. Even longer to wait each moring before using the upper rev range - arrrw. I just wish that I lived further away from work!

Reaction score
my business partner's car did this a lot when the head gasket was just about to go (it was on a K series)

but my trophy does it too, i'm sure it's not too serious, just warm it up more as others have said

Reaction score
My Trophy did this a few times when I first got her.

It only happened when it was very cold - mileage was under 200.

Now that she's completed over 900+ miles it dosen't happen any more.

7MAT

Reaction score
I am seeing the same smoke now at 2700 miles. Switched from bp ultimate back to Tescos 99 and did a long run the other evening which seems to have cured it. I would imagine the long run more than the fuel change made the difference. Looked like steam and only over 5000 rpm

Nick C

Reaction score
Yeah I was surprised to see this haze again (1,600 m) - acted as something of an offensive gesture to a slow moving merecedes estate having finally found the opportunity to safely get round him on a single carriageway. Always used optimax / mobile 1 in my case. I 've found that it only ever occurs during 1st half hour of driving though. The car takes longer to warm through than the needle's indication - painful, particularly on short journeys when you reach your destination before the engine obtains its optimum temperature!

Reaction score
Must withdraw last submission - exhaust haze visible again tonight between 6 & 7,000 rpm after a whole hour of fast moving roads. Mobil 1 too early and not enough opportunities to stretch its legs me thinks?????? Any thoughts people?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I think this is being blown up out of proportion!

All you are experiencing is moisture - a natural and essential byproduct of the combustion process. Its just a sign of an efficient engine. The cold weather just shows this up more as the hot gas cools quickly and presents itself as a visible white mist.

The reason why it appears worse when high revs are used is simply due to the volume of moisture being emitted as each operation or revolution of the engine increases with the revs.

If you were losing coolant then worry. if the rear of the car was coated with a slippy film then worry, but i guarantee that your real screen hazes then clears straight away.

anyway you should be looking forward when nailing around 8-[

Reaction score
That reasoning doesn't work for me - it is far more than mere moisture vapour during a cold snap. During 10 years of driving performance cars I've never had anything like this amount of output and other owners have reported it regularly during early ownership before it has been permanently banished regardless of weather conditions. Others have never seen it, cold weather or otherwise. When it's really gushing you cannot help but pay attention to your mirrors, although the haze COMPLETELY oblitarates ANY reward vision. But yes I do agree that there is no coolant or oil in the output.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I too have been driving performance cars for years. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to dismiss the issue. Like i said its normal.

If it was something other than moisture then you would see losses as i mentioned, oil or water. If this is not the case then what else could it be?

The 182's exhausts are in the middle of the bumper, no downward turn and protrude from the bumper thats why the steam is more visible.

Perhaps Nik has come accross this before from the cliosport site? I will post on that site to get some feedback from other 182 owners who have owned their cars longer than we have.